Fuel Filter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah - it is clear that this filter is oversized/overengineered compared to the "normal" car market. Something with that much dirt, age, miles, would have clogged up and had problems years ago for just about anything else. Makes me remember the fuel filter on my first ride - a 76 Datsun "King Cab". IIRC it was the diameter of a quarter and maybe 1' in length and would clog up just looking at it. Made the mistake of buying gas at a station that had re-opened after several years being closed. Must have replaced 2-3 filters just for that one tank.

Think about it this way, if you wait to change it every 100,000 miles, and you average maybe 14 miles per gallon, that's over 7,000 gallons of fuel that little filter had to work on. I would say, it's not "oversized" for that work load.

As cheap as they are, and as easy as they are to change, I do mine every 30,000 miles or so....

I get what you're saying super - and I'll change it every 80-100k now that the LC is under my care. But my point is that with the same logic - 240k miles at 14mpg = 17,100+ gallons through that filter yet still not clogged enough to create any problems on the fuel system. I'm certain that what was in this filter would have completely clogged the filter on many, many passenger vehicles yet the yota was still going strong. In that sense most manufacturers don't design "wearable" items that will last nearly quarter million miles. Love me some LC engineering!

Toyota lists no replacement interval in the first 120k miles... so I'd expect the filter to last at least that long under normal conditions. I would be interested to know if Toyota specifies a shorter replacement interval for other markets (i.e. Mexico) for the petrol LC's.

Just changed mine. It is only about half as dirty as ScottB's looks. But pretty bad, I think. 140,000 miles.
LC fuel filter 1.jpg
LC fuel filter 2.jpg
LC fuel filter 3.jpg

What most people don't understand is that fuel straight out of the pipeline is extremely dirty. That's just the nature of the product. AND THIS IS TRUE FOR ALL BRANDS OF FUEL ALTHOUGH SOME ARE CLEANER THAN OTHERS.

Owning gas stations brought that to my attention right off the bat. Underground storage tanks where the fuel is stored before you put it in your car hold all kinds of other stuff that you don't want in your tank. Water being the most prevalent (more so in diesel fuel).

However, when our tanks get extremely low (which they do at times) and the delivery guy drops a load of several thousand gallons in a near empty tank, it stirs up all kinds of resting sediment sitting on the bottom of the tank.

Any gas station worth going to will change their pump filters regularly and with quality filters (30 micron or better). If you're filling up your car and notice the pump is running extremely slow, its likely that the pump filter is saturated and needs to be changed.

^^^ all this = changing your filter should be routine just like all other PM

I change mine every year or so, some people think it's wasted money, but I'd rather spend the extra $30 and be satisfied that my filters are all up to snuff.

I'm like that with all my maintenance items but that's just me :meh:.

OCD has its benefits!

I like to change the filter (=OCD), what is the part number please?
This is what I found. I talked to Cruiser Outfitters yesterday about it and they ordered one for me as well as some AHC juice. Fuel Filter (Toyota) 2300-50090

Fuel filter change every 80 to 100K miles, myself, I just pull the fuse first. Never noticed any difference, is said to be a lifetime filter, but hey why not it's a filter.

2003 LX 470:

I bought an OEM fuel filter on eBay (Toyota Dealer). First try, fuel started to come out of end of the "in" line. Took it off and measured inside depth both new and the old and all seems good. Refitted 2nd time, same result. Gave up and put back the old fuel filter and no leaks.

What could it be?
20151016_124107[1].jpg
Picture of the OEM fuel filter and the box.

I don't know if you are having the same problem as I when mine leaked, but I had to really tighten the nut. I thought I was going to break it, but it stopped leaking. Still, be careful so it doesn't break.

Unless it was causing a misfire (which would likely express itself as a CEL) you won't see any fuel economy impact.

It seems that my 2002 LX470 is misfiring but no CEL or codes showing.
I have a new fuel filter ready to be installed this weekend after I have replace all 8 spark plugs and 3 ignition coils which had a crack in their housing. That didn't result in a smooth running engine.

Just changed mine. Line nut was seized solid. Took a brand new set of vice grips with fresh teeth and a ton of force to finally get it loose. I thought I snapped the line when it finally gave. Just glad its done! Truck runs smooth as ever!

New filter installed last Saturday.
No change in rough running engine though.
Closing the inlet needed more force than I thought.

E0A15A37-7E6D-4323-A03A-71E99B8416DE.jpeg
A8209C77-C4DA-462B-A52A-AC29B265208F.jpeg

Yes I know this is an old thread, but one I checked out before changing mine. I have 345k on the clock, and from the maintenance records appears likely it’s never been done. But these are absolutely NOT lifetime filters, considering our trucks seem to have no problem pushing 300k+ miles if properly maintained. Please consider swapping yours, maybe with every timing belt, or every other. It’s a 10 minute job and a $30 filter. Pictures worth a thousand words.

View attachment 2559449View attachment 2559450
Yes I know this is an old thread, but one I checked out before changing mine. I have 345k on the clock, and from the maintenance records appears likely it’s never been done. But these are absolutely NOT lifetime filters, considering our trucks seem to have no problem pushing 300k+ miles if properly maintained. Please consider swapping yours, maybe with every timing belt, or every other. It’s a 10 minute job and a $30 filter. Pictures worth a thousand words.

Sheesh thing looks rough, any performance issues from this? Any change once swapped for a fresh one?

Sheesh thing looks rough, any performance issues from this? Any change once swapped for a fresh one?
Unfortunately no increase in mpg or any other discernible improvements, but wasn’t really expecting it either. Just peace of mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom