Front Factory Locker Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My front diff died about a month ago so i went to toyota and got them to order a new one for me. Ended up coming 6 weeks later from japan, but got a nice suprise when i opened the box because it's got the factory diff lock :D. I've been round a few websites to see what mods need to be done to fit it, but i've got a couple of stupid questions to ask about it.

Stupid Q1. On the diff lock switch, you can switch it from rear locker only, to front and rear locker. Does this mean you need the rear locker on to allow the front one on? And if so, am i able to wire in an alternate on/off switch instead?

Stupid Q2. What other parts do i need?
- 2x longer studs
- Gasket
- Drivers side Axle
- Wiring Harness(with ECU, switch, dash lights etc)

Any info anyone has would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I searched through some more threads and stumbled accross the wiring kit that Inchworm supplies, Apart from it being a bit on the high side$$, is anyone using one, and do you think it would work well enough?
I'm not any good at building circuit boards, and things like that, so this "plug & play" kit seems an easy option.

I think you will have quite a bit of the harness already installed in your 80. It is possible to install the factory switch and ECU with just the front locker but you will have to do some tweaking to the factory intended wiring.

Take a look at this thread carefully. You will find just about everything you need including links to the factory elocker wiring diagrams. I started this thread because I am installling two TRD elockers into an 85 4Runner and plan to use the factory 80 ECU and switch.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/204094-elocker-wiring-switches.html#post3020016

Between this thread and other threads which document retrofitting front and rear elockers onto an 80, you should be good to go. Come back if you have specific questions (e.g. How am I going to fake out the ECU without the rear locker?) and we'll see how we can help.

would you mind sharing how much you paid for the new diff? Did the price include the locker? Also, once you know, I'm curious to find out how much it will cost you overall to get it working.
thanks.

From my recent shopping experience, a high pinion elocker lists for more or less the same as a TRD (low pinion) elocker which is around $1200. Dan can order one for you or you can check with other dealers but expect to pay around $950 (with tax). Inchworm sells them for $925 and Marlin lists them for $950. Shipping is on top of those prices. The nice thing about a local dealer is that there is no shipping (but you have to pay sales tax).

You can get an elocker ECU from a used parts place for anywhere from $100 to $200 and the switch will run you another $25 to $50. You will need the front harness (goes from elocker wiring to main harness) and that will cost you about $30. You should have the switch harness built in already as well as the main harness that the ECU plugs into.

You shouldn't need to fake anything about the missing rear locker, I don't recall front and rear engagement being sequential, you just need the centre to have engaged and turn the switch to all the way.

would you mind sharing how much you paid for the new diff? Did the price include the locker? Also, once you know, I'm curious to find out how much it will cost you overall to get it working.
thanks.

I'm from Melbourne, Aus, and i paid $1100 which seemed pretty good, because that is the trade price. It's normally $1350rrp, but because it was coming from their factory in Japan and i couldn't get a refund, he let me have it for trade price. It wasn't supposed to come with the locker, so somebody must have stuffed up somewhere:D, not that im complaining.

Sorry guys I've only found threads from people putting them into 4runners and in the rear of an 80 series and not the front, so i've just got a couple more quick questions,

As i'm fitting the front locker into an 80 series (non elocker 3rd member), i should only need to notch out the diff where there actuator fork moves, and not for the Ring Gear like you do for the 4Runners. If that sounds right, is there another gasket that doesn't have that notch out of it, and does anyone have a part no. for it?

Also, When i eventually put the locker in and wire it all up, because the locker is 'locked' when i put it in, when i flick the switch on for the first time, is it going to burn out the motor, or does it do nothing until i flick the switch off again which disengages it?

And being the front diff, does it need a new axle for a longer spline, or can i just use the original one, because i've called up almost every toyota dealer in Melbourne and they've all said that they dont get an option for a front axle for a locker and that all the axles & part numbers are the same. Its got the option for a locker equipped rear axle, but not a front one?
Does anyone know if the normal axle will work?

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom