Front End "Thunk" 1990 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Started getting a "thunk"/"knock" when turning left while simultaneously going over a bump. Sometimes it does it going straight going over a large rut/bump at speed.

I have not had a chance to get under the truck to take a look but I figured, as always, there is usually a "most common" problem. Worth checking here first.

My first thought is it might just be a bad tie rod end? Maybe a worn bushing?

Looking forward to hearing some subject matter expert's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

make sure the clamps on your tie rod and drag link aren't making contact, turn it to the point where you hear the clunk and look at the clearance between those components, that's what I would suspect, or suspension bushings....

Thanks for the replies. Generally in line with what I have been thinking. Looks like tie rod end work is staight forward. Bushing kits look cheap...any knowledge on how involved replacing bushings would be? I would imagine they are corroded to s***.

Mine did the same thing on the passenger side.
When I went to do the suspension it was a combination of dead bushings and the second largest leaf being broken right at the military wrap. When the spring was articulated in just the right fashion it would cause the two pieces of the leaf to become un-aligned and then "pop" back together.

Go through and torque spring plates, shackles, swaybar and inspect tie-rods for any play at the joints.

Then drive and see if it repeats, if so, bushings are a good possibility, oily/rusty leafpack as well.

Thanks. I will start with tightening everything up to spec and inspecting tie rods.....really hoping i don't have a broken leaf. That seems like a miserable job.

Thanks. I will start with tightening everything up to spec and inspecting tie rods.....really hoping i don't have a broken leaf. That seems like a miserable job.
Meh... i was replacing the springs all together anyways so not really. Old springs got donated to my knife maker buddy.

Could also be something other than suspension bumping around. Rusted out and loose headlight fixture, even your hood prop rod if it isn't properly pinched in place.

I found the leaf springs to be twisting slightly in their packs and bumping off the spring pack clamps. You might check to see if your are doing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom