Front Drive Fork Chamber Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcisland

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Mudders!

Finally getting back onto the 40 after a summer of projects and playing. Transfer case is rebuilt and I am in the process of putting together the Front Drive Fork Diaphragm Chambers.

Question is do I fill the Lever Cylinder Chamber (open in picture) with 90W or just grease the pivot points of the link lever?

transmission4.jpg

When I disassembled it, it was full of oil. Obviously the Extension housing is filled from the Transfer Case and that would spill into the Shift Fork Chamber. But there is a felt washer around the Shift Fork Shaft that would prevent large amounts of 90W passing into the lever chamber. Should I pre-fill this and if so how much?

FSM mentions greasing the pins but doesn't mention oil. So why was mine full of oil?

Thanks all!

Keith

If the FSM says to just grease it, that's what I'd do. No need to have a bunch of gear oil in there. I'd imagine your dust seal was worn out and allowing extra fluid into the chamber.

OK, kind of what I thought. Just making sure I wasn't overlooking something. Just checked and the felt seal is NLA. I will wash and fluff up the old one as best as I can.

Thanks ibinazbass!

Looks super sano Keith. Who did your plating?

Hi Mark! Hope all is going well with you!

My first half was sent to Colorado Plating but the hardware you see in the trans and transfer are done locally in Monroe Washington, Metal Tech.

A little spendy but a wash if you consider shipping and waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom