To Drive or Not to Drive: That is the Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Howdy!
So I am about to embark on a journey driving my 1980 HJ45 from Florida to Arizona. Plan is up to North Carolina and then across to Arizona. Due to my top speed being about 50, I will be taking non interstate roads. I will be traveling with my 12 year old nephew.

Here's the issue: Now, at the last minute, some people are saying I shouldn't do it: too much of a risk, put it on a trailer and tow it...

Gotta say, it's getting to me. Maybe it's that I am exhausted at the moment and it's almost 12:30 AM.

I drove it today from Sarasota to Key Largo, and then to Pembroke Pines. about 350 miles. No issues. Ran the AC sometimes, sometimes not. I got up to about 53mph but feels like that's pushing it with the four speed. 40-45 seems to be the cruising speed.

I had no issues.

Worst problem was driving on 41 down through to Naples, and the ENDLESS traffic lights! THAT was a nightmare!!!
Once I got on the open road I just cruised at 40-45.
There were a couple of pissed off people. One old man in a convertible Corvette or similar gave me the bird.
But much more were honking the horn, giving me thumbs up, and yelling "Cool truck!"

Anyway, just kind of irritated to have this doubt thrown at me the night before I take off! I figure renting a truck and trailer will cost a good $1,500 or so, not to mention killing the whole adventure.

I want to still do it, but am now doubting: am I being stubborn? Letting pride get in the way?

Pretty much sure I am still doing this, but would like to hear opinions.

How tough is your nephew? I was camping with my buddies at 12, but that was a lifetime ago. If it's adventure you want, I say go for it, but with a country full of crazy people you better be prepared for anything!

He's a twelve year old kid, but he's very mature. Tough? Don't really know, but he's open to a lot.

Prepared: yes.

Also avoiding major cities.

I say go for it. Mindset is everything...if you expect it to be tough and challenging, then it will go easier than you expect. Besides, you can't duplicate an experience like this for your nephew.

Yeah, I agree.
I figure taking it slow-not rushing-is the key.
I keep thinking: if I don't do it, I will forever regret it and wonder "what if"!

Thru the yrs there have been many folks on this site who have embarked on similar trips. Youll get comfortable with the vehicle. Take tools and ear protection. Back in the 80's I did the same thing. I drove straight thru from Aspen Co to Cinti. Ohio driving my new to me stk 72 FJ40 home. Growing up, me and my parents would drive the US on vacation, camp and fish. The only regret now, was driving the 40 back home in 36hrs on the freeway. Back then it was fine. These days back roads and seeing the sites sounds like a good idea. I'm sure folks on this site will be supportive and helpful if you need help. They'll likely buy you a beverage or a meal. Document the trip here with pics and stories. You can always rent a truck and trailer along the way.

Last edited:
Just do it, worst case you break down and have to work on it yourself or pay someone to tow it to a shop. It's just a vehicle, go use it.

How tough is your nephew? I was camping with my buddies at 12, but that was a lifetime ago. If it's adventure you want, I say go for it, but with a country full of crazy people you better be prepared for anything!
The US isn't full of crazy people, most folks are pretty good natured over the road. Just understand that if you aren't willing to get dirty and work hard when it gets tough, folks won't be keen to help.

Agree with all above comments.

Personal opinion, go for it.

As referenced, especially for a long trip - check the little things, battery health, belts, hoses, bring spare fluids, etc… were more backroads than interstates. This will reduce likelihood of any mechanical events.

Time is priceless. You will never get the time back so make the most of it with your nephew…assuming nephew is aligned with the excitement factor and looking forward to enjoying the 40-50mph life vs the 70mph get there as fast as you can life.

I moved from Virginia Beach to Tucson years ago. Towed my 40…40hrs in 2.5 days with me driving and my old man as my trusty co-pilot (needed to scoot cross country as fast as I could to start a job), Point being, time together we will never get back and loved every minute of it, but would have been epic to slow down and enjoy the journey vs the accomplishment of the destination.

If you can afford an extra day, consider targeting a “day off” in middle to break up the trip and stretch your legs and back, have a nice meal.

Referenced above, consider a quick itinerary and a Mud post and certainly you will have both a network of assistance available along the route…and a potential cool Trails article. 😉

Hope this helps!

Nik

I ran out of money and drove Phoenix, Arizona to Vancouver, BC in 27 hours in my 40 solo. I'd say go for it.

Give your truck a thorough mechanical once over, carry a spare fan belt, water, and fluids. Then go for it.

And to the pissed off people in a hurry…. Just safely pass. 🖕🖕

The family vehicle is a mini-van (Toyota at least) so I get it both ways (vans attract people in a hurry wanting you out of the way as much as classic cruisers do). Lol

Safe travels.

Nik

Ha! Great point everyone!
It's amazing what a little negativity whispered in the ear can do when you're tired!
Also amazing what a little support can do, and there's more than a little here!

I have been planning to do this taking my time: stopping, resting... no stressful "Gotta get there yesterday" attitude. So yeah, it's a done deal. Heading out later today.

Thanks everyone. I'll start an adventure thread!

PS

Where would I post about the trip? I am mainly documenting it with video (will be on YouTube), but I can take photos too.
I only post here and on Expedition Portal consistently.

I'm starting a YouTube Channel with this. Is it OK to post a link when I put up the fisrt video?

PS

Where would I post about the trip? I am mainly documenting it with video (will be on YouTube), but I can take photos too.
I only post here and on Expedition Portal consistently.

I'm starting a YouTube Channel with this. Is it OK to post a link when I put up the fisrt video?

I think you just started your thread, right here, or start a new one. Or maybe change the name of this one. Idk. The ones I've followed have been in this section. I know folks have posted videos from youtube to threads. I have no clue how to do it. Enjoy

EPIC - That 12yr old nephew will never forget this.

May want to post up an itinerary. IE where you are starting from and your route/destination each day. Just saying, any MUD members along the route to your rally points, may be able to lend assistance should the need arise or just meet up for a celebratory beverage and a photo op.😎

”Fortune favors the bold”

Like @Chungas Revenge said your Nephew will never forget this. I did similar trips with my dad in the past. In fact I think he has been with me on all of my car purchases. I am 33 and he is 65 now. We both are not getting younger but I will have those memories forever. Just make sure you are prepared for a break down or two. Dont get frustrated at how slow it is. Slow is better and safer in my opinion. Make those great memories!

Last edited:
Doing some quick math, it looks like that will take at least 7 days......maybe more. If I were going to make this trip then I would allow for some down days so that you can see a few sights along the way. I would probably figure minimum 10 days.

Good luck with your decision. I can appreciate both sides of this discussion.

Go for it! What an adventure!

These are easy vehicles to work on and reliable. You have confidence in your truck.

What’s the worst thing that you can happen? You and your nephew have to work on the truck together?

Rocky

Do it. Dont over think it. My boys did a trip with me in their 40s. 2000 miles from Dallas to Ouray, CO. They are 17 and 19. They had never done a trip like it before where they drove rigs. They did most of the trails and drove their rigs home. Scenery was breath taking, seat time was priceless. Live once, make it count.

IMG_2763.jpeg

Resized_20220804_110425.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom