Front Disk Brake Brackets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone make the conversion brackets for the front disk brakes, without buying them in a kit? I want to use the monte carlo calipers on the front and rear, the only brackets I have found come from JT or CCOT I cant remember, and they only sell them in a kit for $549.
Has anyone else fabbed a similar bracket?

Thanks

The better way to do that conversion is to actually have the caliper mounting ears welded on to the knuckles. You may be able to find some old school cruiser guy to do this.

Check JTO's website. They sell the brackets seperately if I am not mistaken!

Oops! Just called them and they said it was the kit only, sorry for the confusion!

just find someone parting a solid axle pickup and change out the knuckle housings.

Of what I said, or JTO's bracket? I can take some pics of the ears welded on the knuckles if you want. It might take a few days.

Yeah the one you mentioned.

Thanks

Does anyone make the conversion brackets for the front disk brakes, without buying them in a kit? I want to use the monte carlo calipers on the front and rear, the only brackets I have found come from JT or CCOT I cant remember, and they only sell them in a kit for $549.
Has anyone else fabbed a similar bracket?

Thanks

No reason to. OEM pieces are easily found/available. Besides, by going this route, you remove the tiny drum brake fing birf that will be the next thing that you will want to try and figure out how to upgrade. You cannot run disc brake fing birfs(Longs/Newfields/etc.) with drum brake spindles/hubs/lockouts. They are larger and will not fit, so you will be forced to upgrade at a later date, and will be redoing something that you could have taken care of from the get-go by doing the Toyota disc brake upgrade.

Alright, guess Im sold. From what Ive seen when Poser speaks you are a fool not to listen... Looks like I will be researching all the FAQ's for the Toyota Disk conversion. My only reservation Is that I have never taken apart an axel and Im craping my pants at the idea..

Alright, guess Im sold. From what Ive seen when Poser speaks you are a fool not to listen... Looks like I will be researching all the FAQ's for the Toyota Disk conversion. My only reservation Is that I have never taken apart an axel and Im craping my pants at the idea..

If I can do it anyone can :doh: the only part I didn't do was grind the housing as that part was already done but I did have to tear the whole knucle apart for new arms and discs. It's pretty easy actually so long as you take it slowly and pay attention

Wow, you are scared to take apart your axel, and brave enough to weld brake brakets on to cast steel? You need to get comfortable taking your axel apart any way if you plan to do any wheeling. It really is not that complicated. But it is much easier in a well lit shop with all your tools and a manual/buddy/six pack than doing it for the first time in the dark on a rock 60 miles from the socket that you didn't bring because you didn't know you needed it. I got a whole FJ 40 with a hard top, doors and disk brakes for $500 from a junk yard, I think some of the conversion kits cost more than that.

Get the factory chassis manual. read it a couple times first & then proceed you'll be suprised. Provided you have the tooling and can do it all the way through the first time with a minimum of interuption it'll go well!

Best of luck.

hey poser just curious whats a fing birf

Jumpin Jehosophat

After reading all of the posts Im surprised I didnt get reamed for even asking about disk brakes.... I guess I didnt search as hard as I thought I did...

I still have a handfull of reservations although I do think I can do the job.

1- Do I go with a 60 or a mini truck axle, does it even matter?

2- Tie rod dilema, Im not sure I understand what problems arise. Im thinking that the mini truck tie rods are not as stout as mine and that either way the tie rods are going to have to be fabbed to make this work. From what I read I think they have to be shortened, or I have to buy some aftermarket ones..

3- Which M/C is best to use, im going to put disks on the rear so I dont think I will need a proportioning valve as long as I change out my M/C.

Im sure this was also covered a thousand times, but this is pretty nerve wrecking for me and some interactive advice might give me the push I need.

You WILL need a proportioning valve. Just do it. Got mine from Summit and it was about $40.
Ed

No reason to. OEM pieces are easily found/available. Besides, by going this route, you remove the tiny drum brake fing birf that will be the next thing that you will want to try and figure out how to upgrade. You cannot run disc brake fing birfs(Longs/Newfields/etc.) with drum brake spindles/hubs/lockouts. They are larger and will not fit, so you will be forced to upgrade at a later date, and will be redoing something that you could have taken care of from the get-go by doing the Toyota disc brake upgrade.

bbalbano, I agree with the above. I got the parts to do this cheap from someone else on the board. I would recommend you go the Minitruck route. If you're still interested, I can take pics. The point I was making is that this method is better than the bracket.

The only option it has left me with is to have my coarse-spline birfs cryo'ed by a local place. Once those blow up, I'll be going Minitruck with Longs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom