disc brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 72 40 and need to replace the front brakes.....both leak like crazy. I was looking at man-a-fre conversion using wilwood calipers. Does anyone have experience good or bad or have any other suggestions. I like the fact that it is bolt on and new (don't have to try to find used parts to convert and then buy new parts for the used parts, etc.

Welcome.

This has been covered well many times out here.

Read away....

:beer:

Last edited:
Hey,
I did the FJ-60 swap onto to my '74 FJ-40. Without doubt the best mod to date. I bought an entire front axle assy from a '81 FJ-60, for $75.00, brought the piece home and began the swap process. The details, the knucke swap was easy, a small amount of grinding on the housing, 'bout .070" worth total. This allows the larger 60 birf to fit into the housing. The hardest part is the tierod shortening, basic tapping and threading, the taps are not available off the shelf. I had them made to order. My first set of tierods were cut and rewelded to shorten them. I have since replaced them with the cut and threaded tierods. I also took the master cylinder from the '60 to keep the proper master cyl bore to wheel cyl bore ratio. The best part, the road test! My first brake application caused me to hit my head on the steering wheel! Unfreaking believeable, the new brakes will lock up 33" M&S BFG's wihout effort. I will be replacing the rear drums with discs soon!
otter

Hey,
I also took the master cylinder from the '60 to keep the proper master cyl bore to wheel cyl bore ratio. The best part, the road test! My first brake application caused me to hit my head on the steering wheel! Unfreaking believeable, the new brakes will lock up 33" M&S BFG's wihout effort. I will be replacing the rear drums with discs soon!
otter

You found no issues with the rear drums with the 60 master cylinder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom