Front Bumper Photos (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished building a front bumper for my 80 and thought I would post some pics to see what you guys think of it. The main bar is 1 3/4" DOM .120 wall tubing, the plate work is all 1/4". I still need to move up my AC dryer. It's 64 lbs or about 1/2 the weight of an ARB bumper.

Looks good Chris.
I would think long and hard about bracing the side wings back to the frame as the apron behind the fender is likely to get damaged if it takes a sustained impact. I would also think about at least one shackle pin on the front of it. look at woodrows photos in hardcore corner for ideas there.
Dave

The wings that wrap around are supported up front but not on the sides. I think a roo hit may bend them. The tubing is DOM so it should hold up to minor rock rash. I plan to remove the fiberglass later so I am not worried about that.

The stock hooks bolt in the stock location or will also fit on top like in this photo...

Looks good, nice job and finish, like the stinger type look with the winch mount. Are you considering adding tabs for some lights somewhere? Would adding some more bracing to the side wing help protect when leaning into the rocks and such?

I'm planning on replacing my front bumper before spring so if marlin and/or you have plans on making more please let me know.

Brian

All in all I say job well done.
even looks like some good welding there to boot. no flux core booty fab!!!
Dave

Chris that is awesome. :cheers: Mine is very similar. I cut my front hoop off because it wasn't right. I was always going to fix it but I have never gotten to it. I like how you did the winch mount. Are you going to make them? I've had a ton of folks ask me about mine. I don't have fabrication skills. I just mooch off of my friends. I think it up and go to their shops and they help me out.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=11021;start=msg99195#msg99195 date=1075927293]
Chris that is awesome. :cheers: Mine is very similar. I cut my front hoop off because it wasn't right. I was always going to fix it but I have never gotten to it. I like how you did the winch mount. Are you going to make them? I've had a ton of folks ask me about mine. I don't have fabrication skills. I just mooch off of my friends. I think it up and go to their shops and they help me out.
[/quote]

Yes we are considering selling this bumper. I am now looking into production costs on this design.

I was not really sure how I would like the front stinger. At first we put a larger one on and I thought it looked funny. This smaller version looks better to my eye.

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=11021;start=msg99162#msg99162 date=1075925609]
Looks good Chris.
I would think long and hard about bracing the side wings back to the frame as the apron behind the fender is likely to get damaged if it takes a sustained impact. I would also think about at least one shackle pin on the front of it. look at woodrows photos in hardcore corner for ideas there.
Dave
[/quote]

It would be easy to gusset that section. Tonight we will add some support for the wing and see how it looks.

If you are thinking about selling them, price? Looks great!! Goes with the truck reall nice!! Great job.

Oh, can you post a pic from the side? Would like to see how far out the stinger sticks.

[quote author=Chris Geiger link=board=2;threadid=11021;start=msg99147#msg99147 date=1075925039]
...It's 64 lbs or about 1/2 the weight of an ARB bumper.
[/quote]

1/2 the weight and 1/8 the protection ;) Kidding aside, nice job!

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=xl715 link=board=2;threadid=11021;start=msg99383#msg99383 date=1075946421]
Oh, can you post a pic from the side? Would like to see how far out the stinger sticks.
[/quote]

Here you go...

[quote author=xl715 link=board=2;threadid=11021;start=msg99382#msg99382 date=1075946368]
If you are thinking about selling them, price? Looks great!! Goes with the truck reall nice!! Great job.
[/quote]

Target price is $500. I will have a solid price in about a week.

Nice work Chris. Looks great. Why the .120? Mainly for weight? This is just a thought, not a stab or anything negative, but if you ran a tube up from the end of the wing, and tied it back as a top tube, that would likely provide a lot of support for the wing strength no? (again, just thinking as I type, please don't read anything into it other than that).

How much room have you allowed for body flex? Mainly towards the front of the fenders.

Again, very cool.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

thanks for the side shot. Looks good, my main concern is approach angle-looks like this design has plenty of that. Gotta love custom work!!

There is about 1/4" between the bumper and the bolt that holds the front fiberglass. I am sure as the truck is twisted this bolt will rub the bumper with no ill effects. I do plan to remove the fiberglass in the future. That will allow removal of that bolt and slightly more clearance. At full flex there may be slight rubage between the fender and the bumper but I don't see a problem with that.

I have allways used .120 wall tubing on my trucks. Its allways made good nerf bars, bumpers and cages. I normally like to use 1.5" tubing but on this application slightly larger 1 3/4" tube was used.

I thought about doing a bar above the main bar similar to what I did on my yellow pickup but it choose not to this time for a more streamlined look.

Andy the fabricator doing most of the work made up a nice set of 1/4" plate gussets for the wings. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Here is a shot of the yellow toy...

LOVE IT....... if someone was worried about protection you could do 2 models and just use 1/8th (or whatever) in the gaps (not the stinger but the lower ones)....i like the clean...useful...functional ......and it looks good ..... PROPS TO YOU FOR THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom