Front Brake Caliper Replacement - Napa Eclipse NLA? Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wait... you can still get the LSPV new? Pic of what's included with a new unit...
Just the valve. I also ordered new hardware and a "bushing kit" where the arm connects. Going to attempt to rebuild this weekend.
Front axle rebuild and all new calipers, all soft lines, new front rotors and ebc green 100 series pads. Lotsa wrenching ahead.

Just a word of advice.

Take a real close look at the mounting holes on front knuckles when doing brakes. I have seen a lot stripped out on 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

Cheers

Just the valve. I also ordered new hardware and a "bushing kit" where the arm connects. Going to attempt to rebuild this weekend.
Front axle rebuild and all new calipers, all soft lines, new front rotors and ebc green 100 series pads. Lotsa wrenching ahead.

Keep us posted with pictures! Haha. Sounds like a nice project. Haven't read too many threads where people replaced the valve. Curious how that goes.

Keep us posted with pictures! Haha. Sounds like a nice project. Haven't read too many threads where people replaced the valve. Curious how that goes.
Not excited to try honestly. If I can get mine too adjust and crack the bleeder I won't change it but wanted one on hand in case

I just ordered the calipers from NAPA and they are the adaptive calipers (coated). Has anyone had any bad experiences with this brand that I should be concerned?

My Napa calipers lasted a year before i gave up and replaced them with OEM all round. Not a huge amount more expensive. I wish i had done my research properly before i made that choice.

Did they fail and you had to replace them or just preference?
They didnt fail but the brake line bolt threads were chunky at best. worked for a Utah trip and 15k miles before i did a whole system replacement. Calipers, pads, rotors, lines, LSPV.
Would have been similar price all around if you shop it.
My Napa calipers lasted a year before i gave up and replaced them with OEM all round. Not a huge amount more expensive. I wish i had done my research properly before i made that choice.
Same - on the research. One and done with OEM. Generally applies to everything on these trucks.

They didnt fail but the brake line bolt threads were chunky at best. worked for a Utah trip and 15k miles before i did a whole system replacement. Calipers, pads, rotors, lines, LSPV.

Same - on the research. One and done with OEM. Generally applies to everything on these trucks.
Do you remember where you sourced the OEM calipers from? when i did my research originally it was multiples more expensive than NAPA.

For me I thought I had done the research, the concensus seemed to be that the reman napas were one of those rare parts that the cost vs quality seemed to make it worth going away from oem. That just isn't the case any more, and I'm happy to help get the word out so others don't do the same as me.

For mine I think I had similar overspray issues. The bleed ports did not want to seal and I had to really over torque them to not leak. Should have boxed them up and took them back then but I was eager to get it back on the road.

Do you remember where you sourced the OEM calipers from? when i did my research originally it was multiples more expensive than NAPA.
mcgeorge toyota.
1622069616955.png

Those are what i ordered for my 96 and two of the 6 hoses I replaced.

mcgeorge toyota.
View attachment 2685570

Those are what i ordered for my 96 and two of the 6 hoses I replaced.
Cruiser Outfitters had similarly good prices for new OEM calipers when I did mine last year. And they had them in stock, while the online dealers who specialize in parts sales were all out of stock. Plus, it's Cruiser Outfitters. That's an operation worth supporting (IMHO), and the prices were literally within a few dollars of the dealership prices.

Cruiser Outfitters had similarly good prices for new OEM calipers when I did mine last year. And they had them in stock, while the online dealers who specialize in parts sales were all out of stock. Plus, it's Cruiser Outfitters. That's an operation worth supporting (IMHO), and the prices were literally within a few dollars of the dealership prices.
Good call! I order a lot from them and for some reason didn’t even think of them for calipers.

i'm also looking to replace my front and rear calipers for a 04/1995 fzj80. i believe one of my fronts is sticking as i get pulsing through the pedal and wobble through the steering when braking that comes and goes, and all four corners are missing the bleeder caps and in a general sad state thanks for prior owners. i've had the rears apart to adjust the parking brake but haven't given the fronts a deep inspection yet. if new calipers and re-bedding doesn't solve the braking then i'll go deeper and replace the rotors, bearings, etc.

it appears things have changed since this thread was started, primarily pricing has gone up (McGeorge is my go to). RockAuto has multiple options but they may not be worth it either, and I hate wasting my time and money messing w/ unsatisfactory parts. anyone have a good experience w/ anything OTHER than new OEM? general consensus seems to be to avoid Toyota remans and NAPA. that leaves Toyota brand new.

47730-60060 (front right) and 47750-60060 (front left) are $255
47730-60110 (rear right) and 47750-60110 (rear left) are $147

i did check on remans and 47730-60060-84 (front right) is available for $70 (includes $20 core) but 47750-60060-84 (front left) is Discontinued? rears are showing as $62 (includes $60 core). why would the front left be discontinued if the rumor is toyota drops a new caliper in the box if a reman is unavailable? do i have the wrong part number?

i'm also considering replacing the caliper bolts, spring clips, shims, etc. one of my rear caliper brackets has a torn sliding pin dust boot but i think those are included w/ a new or reman caliper as i can't even find a part # for it? if someone could double check my work on all these extra parts i'd appreciate it. nothing worse then not having the one bolt i need while in there

90101-12144 F caliper bolt - 4x
90201-12452 F bolt washer - 4x
90101-12167 R caliper bolt - 4x
90201-12452 R bolt washer - 4x
90110-06007 R dust protector bolt - 2x
94511-00600 R dust protector washer - 2x
47777-60010 R dust protector - 2x
90401-10015 banjo bolt - 4x
90430-10074 copper washers - 8x
90080-46209 spring clips - 4x
04945-04012 front shim kit - 1x
04946-60010 rear shim kit - 1x
04947-60090 front fit kit - 1x
04947-22050 rear fit kit - 1x

no one has any recent info regarding OE reman availability? McGeorge shows the right remain as discontinued, but appears just fine using ToyotaPartsDeal 🤷‍♂️

and brake bleeder rubber caps. do they come w/ calipers or something i have to order separately? i tried my local parts stores (Napa, Autozone, etc) and no one even carries bleeder caps.

no one has any recent info regarding OE reman availability? McGeorge shows the right remain as discontinued, but appears just fine using ToyotaPartsDeal 🤷‍♂️

and brake bleeder rubber caps. do they come w/ calipers or something i have to order separately? i tried my local parts stores (Napa, Autozone, etc) and no one even carries bleeder caps.
As an option...
You can get OEM rebuild kits. I did mine recently. Bleeder caps included (no extra charge)

OE remans are quite readily available.

Bleeder caps come with the calipers.
thanks for that info. not sure why McGeorge lists it as Discontinued. I'll have to ask them directly. you previously said you don't bother with remans, as the quality has dropped. do you still feel that way? when the price of new calipers was $100 less even earlier this year, I could easily agree to go for it. now i'm not so certain!

As an option...
You can get OEM rebuild kits. I did mine recently. Bleeder caps included (no extra charge)
Yes, I am aware. I'm not even sure they are the original calipers or parts store remans. I'll probably spend more time rebuilding these than swapping on new/reman calipers. and it might not even be worth it if the piston is too pitted, or i snap/round off a bleeder trying to un-freeze them like i about did on the rears...and i was using a good flare wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom