Fox IFP Shocks for the 80, Available (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had the front IPF in the nominal 4" lift configuration for a month or so. They definitely ride a lot better than the dead OME L's, but then they should being new :)

The OME's were 10+ years and pretty well totally shot when I removed them. The IPF seemed a good value and driving up curbs and speed bumps the jarring that existed before (with dead shocks) is all gone and much more controlled. Went on a couple of camping trips on forestry roads/trails and the ride is much more comfortable.

Given the front OME's were shot, I figured the rears had to be similar or worse (actually worse when I removed them a week ago). For the rears I went with 2" remote radflos (7/8" pistons and pretty well equivalent length to the OME L's I had) and they feel VERY nice on the vehicle. On speed bumps the rear smooths them nicely.

The radflos were a bit of challenge to fit, though the trick was to get the bottom on first (with the vehicle on stands on one side and dropping the suspension to its limits with sway bar disconnected). Since the bottom has the spherical joint it is a very tight fit to the lower 'pin' on the 80 so lining it up exactly is required. So, do the bottom first with the top 'free', then once the bottom is on you can install the top 2 bolts and tighten up the plate to the chassis. The radflo is highly pressurised, so no way you can compress it without applying full (man size) body weight to it.

With the OME's so dead (I could quickly compress the rears down 1/2 their stroke length just pushing down on them) I'm actually impressed how the vehicle was still relatively comfortable - bonus of coil suspension.

It's hard to compare the front (IPF) and with the rear (Radflo), especially with the $$ difference, and it's of course an apples/oranges situation, but the rear seems somewhat 'smoother' over big bumps than the front. Overall it's much improved but then we're comparing new shocks to old worn/dead shocks.

Anyhow, I'm pleased with the front/rear combo and it simplified mounting since I didn't need to deal with the front reservoir mounting issue. It'll be interesting to see how the IPF last over the years and whether a rebuild is cost effective when it is time given the shocks are inexpensive.

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
What size tire rick?

315/75/16 MTR Kevlars. Should note, also have removed both sway bars.

Anyhow, I'm pleased with the front/rear combo and it simplified mounting since I didn't need to deal with the front reservoir mounting issue. It'll be interesting to see how the IPF last over the years and whether a rebuild is cost effective when it is time given the shocks are inexpensive.

cheers,
george.

I dont believe the Fox IFP's are rebuildable.... They seem like they will be a good "middle" ground though price-wise. They should hold me off until I grab the 4WU kit! HA

315/75/16 MTR Kevlars. Should note, also have removed both sway bars.

I dont believe the Fox IFP's are rebuildable.... They seem like they will be a good "middle" ground though price-wise. They should hold me off until I grab the 4WU kit! HA

I'm pretty sure they state that they are 'factory' rebuildable, but for a ~$120 shock seems somewhat pointless ?

Edit: would appear they are rebuildable:

http://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=truck&ref=productpage

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
I just installed these shocks two days ago. My lift setup is OME 850+1/863's in the rear.

My truck had the bumpstop brackets when I bought it but I doubt they are factory. They are 2" blocks above the rear bumpstops.

Here is the truck on a forklift:

Fox IFP shocks/OME 863/850 +1" spacer
by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Rear tire was rubbing rear portion of the wheel well pretty good when I stopped, I would consider this very close to maximum articulation. Notice the remaining stroke on the shocks. Bumpstop was within 1/2" of contact. (ignore my ghetto bend brake line... lol) :

IMG_20140820_124449
by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I have only city driving on them so far. Compared to the near new OME "L" shocks I was previously running, these are a tiny bit softer but not much. The big difference is in the valving. It seems quite a bit slower on rebound than the OMEs which smooths out the ride considerably. Feel more controlled over large bumps etc. Will have a trail report in a week.
Did you use the 0-2.5" or 3-4" shocks? Any measurements on the fully extended aspect w/them mounted on your rig flexed out?

A little more to add to my report after having them for several months. Still are great but what I did notice is that after being well loaded for our road trip this summer they felt amazing, floated down the road - well 80 style anyway. I'm sitting pretty light for DD with only my rear bumper so those of your with built rigs will benefit even more.

Did you use the 0-2.5" or 3-4" shocks? Any measurements on the fully extended aspect w/them mounted on your rig flexed out?

I purchased them direct from DSM. I called and talked to a rep and told him I had close to 3" of lift. I am almost certain I have the 3-4" ones in the front and the 3-5.5" ones in the rear. I still have the boxes at home so I can verify later. FWIW I was at near full compression in the front (maybe could have squeezed another inch of up travel out of the front if the truck was loaded) and still had probably 3" of shock stroke showing. I might have a photo of that on my phone I will upload later today.

Sorry no photos or measurements fully extended.

Did the Con on mine last weekend. Phenomenal! (Maybe a little more low speed sway control desired, but I do have the front swaybar removed and was loaded up Heavy!)

Just received the shocks today and boy do they look nice.

But I have a quick question: hole for the rear lower shock mount rubber bushing seems awfully large, anyone had any issues mounting them? Also it came with a rubber washer and no idea what it is for.

Rear lower mounts up fine.
No idea what the washer is for either. Tossed mine.

100 miles report!

They ride pretty nice, my rig is empty with sliders. The small stuff is pretty firm but not harsh. Compression feels nice and smooth, but the rebound is where they shine. Guess my old 9000xl is designed with smaller tires and light rigs in mind, I can't get enough rebound unless I crank up the compression resulting in a pretty firm ride, even then it's just ok.

With fox the rebound seems just right and the dips are super smooth with no bucking. I love it!

I can safely assume once the rig is loaded up she would ride even nicer.

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

Last edited:
This past weekend I discover ( mmm realize ) my old OME L Shocks are pretty much done .. so ..

I know this could be a long shot .. but most comparisons are based on old OME shocks .. how they ( FOX ) perform vs the new OME nitro sports .?

I could take the advantage of the longer shock that's for sure since I'm running 4" front and 3" rear with a light 80 ..

I can safely assume once the rig is loaded up she would ride even nicer.

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

Your safe assumption is absolutely correct. They were much better when loaded up on our road trip.

I know this could be a long shot .. but most comparisons are based on old OME shocks .. how they ( FOX ) perform vs the new OME nitro sports .?
x2!

Given most folk have shocks that are on their 80 already and are replacing them (mostly 'cos the old ones are shot), it's unlikely you'll get a comparo of new versus new other than by someone that sells them or stocks both...

The fox ifp are pretty nice (on the front of my 80), but for a ~$120 shock you aren't going to be getting the ultimate shock... Quality/finish looks a lot better than the old (and dead) OME L's that the ifp replaced.

cheers,
george.

My OME shocks had 50k km them when I replaced mine with the IFP. The main thing I noticed was the harshness of the OME when I got them. The IFP's do not have that at all, silky smooth over road irregularitys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom