FOUND - Stolen LX-450 - Calgary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ditto, me gotta do one as well, been talking about it waaaaay tooooo long !!
Well way out here in Mb. But it would catch my eye for sure. Is a nice looking truck. We used to be the car theft capital,I lost a jeep right out of my driveway so I feel your pain. Best of luck. Does anybody have a problem with break ins? Set a conibear 220 in the center console

$105 for a decent viper alarm. Put one in mine last year, and putting one in my son's truck and friends rig in coming days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016WZ5OAW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's such a hindsight 20/20 thing, but fully agree & I value my 80 so much mine has a flagship Clifford/Viper unit - but also I agree a kill-switch is a good 2nd layer.

That said, I hope everyone does a custom kill-piece - I love Joey & his O/C I share (@NLXTACY ) - but we each need to individualize how we 'killswitch' our 80's.

We're a great bunch, but we all know the 'vistors' here would love if there was a standardized off-the-shelf version. (I recall some member wanting to sell a off the shelf type unit, ~2yrs back).

I just encourage the guys to look at wires like the fuel pump + line, or a line from the ignition column & decide where to mount a switch of any sort, or a simple metal link like a 'stray penny' breaker (We who know mechanics are some of the best to ask if pressed how best to steal, right?) --- Look for yourself at the EWD, if you need further guidance I know guys like Joey & Dan can give guidance at ways to make your 80 theft-slowed.

PM those guys (or me) - there's also the E coast crew @landtank --being my 1st to mind - who can make an 80 less available to being stolen.

Just make it a custom, yet reliable piece - it's generally $$$ to make both of those happen in the same piece.

How about one of these? (Boot)

Traffic Control Supplies

Maybe a Club? (Ha!)

If I was going to be away for a while, I would take my coil wire and maybe one or two more. Or pull the ignition fuses.

It doesn't help when I stop at Lowe's or something, because I'm not going to take the time to hook up all this crap just to run in for a can of paint and a toilet brush....

I am truly sorry for your loss. I know how pissed I felt at Walmart when some jackass took my shopping cart full of stuff and emptied it. I can only IMAGINE what it would be like to come out and find my Cruiser missing!

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your comments.

A farmer saw it in his field and scared the guys off before they could do any real damage. No body or drive train damage. On the truck itself I only see that they ripped off the antenna, broke my glove compartment and wrecked the HVAC system somehow (no blower). They took everything that wasn't bolted down. I have Aussie drawings in the back with tools, recovery gear, camping and fishing gear all gone. Could of been much worst so I count myself lucky! Cops and tow company were awesome to deal with. Let see how insurance is to deal with...

FYI Truck was locked in front of my place. They found my magnetic spare key holder under the truck. I had it concealed well but they found it. Kind of glad they did in the sense that if they hadn't would of they done way more damage to it?

Again thanks to this awesome community for at least giving me the piece of mind that people are looking out for one another!

Cheers,

The truck will go into Proactive for a full checkup this week and I'll get a kill switch added in. Then I'll do what I told myself a long time ago to do and add the GPS tracker to the truck. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Is there a service like Onstar for after market cars? My buddy had his chev stolen, called Onstart and they took over from there. They called the cops, told them where the car was, when the cops were ready they told Onstar to lock the doors and shut down the car! Arrested the driver and no damage to the car. How cool is that! What would that be worth per month for that kind of security?

Tips, threads, opinions are all welcome!

Some more photo's of my truck before being taken

truck 1.jpg

truck 2.jpg

truck 3.jpg

truck 4.jpg

Super happy you found it with minimal damage..it always feels weird and 'icky' to get your stuff back after someone stole it.

Congrats. That farmer deserves a surprise giftbox of goodies.

Congratulations on getting it back!

Your homeowner's policy may be what covers the stuff that was IN the truck, provided you can document it and provide receipts. This is the sticky part. The car insurance doesn't typically cover the contents, only the car.

I hope they didn't do any internal damage to differentials, engine or transmission. That can be a hard one to diagnose and then get insurance to cover later on.

Yeah, being stolen in front of your house is a tough one. I don't know if I would have gone to all the typical troubles of "long-term" security sitting in my driveway.

That is why I would never do the hide-a-key thing on ANY vehicle.

Yah hide-a-way keys sucks but in the bush when your kid locks the truck with your key inside it.. It really sucks too.

A farmer saw it in his field and scared the guys off before they could do any real damage. No body or drive train damage. On the truck itself I only see that they ripped off the antenna, broke my glove compartment and wrecked the HVAC system somehow (no blower).
Just seeing this thread now. That's really good news!

I had always never really considered security systems for my Land Cruiser since it looks so out of place that any APB would easily find it. But never really considered that any joyrider would be able to take it where the cops couldn't ever go... Maybe a GPS tracker would be a good idea to place now.

Another question: How did insurance deal with the "claim"? A lot of the times when offroad people make their claims on a small damage, the insurance covers them but states that they will no longer cover them from the repair forwards simply because the external modifications scares them away and don't want to evaluate the risk factors involved in "snorkeled vehicles" or whatever.

I have the viper system with 2 way remote which also allows me to remotely start the car. It's a great system and comes with a well known blue flashing light to let people know it's armed. On top of that, I have the viper gps module which connects to Verizon's cell towers and allows me to unlock/lock and start the car remotely as well as track it. The nice part about the viper alarm is that it is super loud. I had someone bump my truck when I was in a store and I walked out quick enough to stop him from leaving. I think the best part of the viper is that it is loud enough to pretty much scare anyone messing with your truck.

Also, I don't remember exactly, but it was something like $300 for 3 years of service for the remote gps module. It also comes with roadside assistance, but I have AAA, so no need for it.

I always carry a spare key to whatever vehicle I'm daily driving in my wallet.

Oh hell yeah that is great, BTW my hida key is in my wallet :moon:, I am thinking of a GPS until for mine, I am so glad you got it back @LINUS and @NLXTACY :flipoff2:

Yup, key in wallet Kill switch bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom