Flywheel 101 šŸ˜ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ready to put the new clutch into Bumpiā€™s new motor. I removed the old flywheel, cleaned it up. Now. What should I do before mating everything together? Specificallyā€¦

1. Balance? (If so shouldnā€™t it be balanced when the whole rotating mass is assembled??)
2. Resurface at a machine shop? (Probably?)
3. Corrosion control?? (If so, with what?)
4. The unknown step I donā€™t know about yet??

Thank You All

Semper FJ40

I would have it re-surfaced and install it
it should be balanced from the factory, it will only install 1 way

1 if i had to guess, the flywheel was balanced with the crank
2 is recommended, but at the same time, dependent on what condition the the fw is in.....i.e. how bad is it heat checked? i've replaced several clutches and didnt turn the fw with no side effects.
3 is a nonissue
4 make sure the friction disc is on the right way
4.5 make sure the friction disc is on the right way
5 make sure the friction disc is on the right way

Last edited:
1 if i had to guess, the flywheel was balanced with the crank
2 is recommended, but at the same time, dependent on what condition the the fw is in.....i.e. how bad is it heat checked? i've replaced several clutches and didnt turn the fw with no side effects.
3 is a nonissue
4 make sure the friction disc is on the right way
4.5 make sure the friction disc is on the right way
5 make sure the friction disc is on the right way
šŸ˜€

Is this a ā€œheat checkā€

51B10C2B-C66E-4F46-86E9-306F497FC7E7.jpeg

Yes. Heat cracks. Will be removed with step resurfacing.

Also,

6. Make sure the disc is in the right way.

(axe me how I know).

:grinpimp:

Yes. Heat cracks. Will be removed with step resurfacing.

Also,

6. Make sure the disc is in the right way.

(axe me how I know).

:grinpimp:
1. Thanks for the input.
2. As you see here, two experienced folks have commented on ā€œassembly in the correct orientation and correct orderā€. That is a threat briefing.
3. Ok Iā€™ll biteā€¦how do you know?

Done, and it's no fun having to pull it all apart just to turn the disc around.

And after you've spent a weekend changing a clutch and when you first check by releasing the clutch with a running engine but it doesn't engage, check that the t-case is gear and not in neutral. Of course pulling the transmission the second time only to find that the clutch disc was installed properly goes a lot faster than the first time.

And after you've spent a weekend changing a clutch and when you first check by releasing the clutch with a running engine but it doesn't engage, check that the t-case is gear and not in neutral. Of course pulling the transmission the second time only to find that the clutch disc was installed properly goes a lot faster than the first time.
Why yes, EXPERIENCE is what you get when you donā€™t get what you wanted in the first place! šŸ˜

Thanks for the comments.

JB

@JB94083

The clutch disc is not symmetrical on the center splined part.

It's likely the protuding side faces the flywheel, but it's up to you to find out for sure.

Once you do, get a Sharpie and mark one side of the disc "flywheel" and the other side "transmission". You don't want to have to think about orientation when you're on your back trying to balance the disc, the pressure plate and the bolts.

From @Coolerman's website:

1647729810976.png

Last edited:
And remember to attach those little wire clips between the TO bearing and clutch fork before installing, unless you have tiny hands.

@JB94083

The clutch disc is not symmetrical on the center splined part.

It's likely the protuding side faces the flywheel, but it's up to you to find out for sure.

Once you do, get a Sharpie and mark one side of the disc "flywheel" and the other side "transmission". You don't want to have to think about orientation when you're on your back trying to balance the disc, the pressure plate and the bolts.

From @Coolerman's website:

View attachment 2957154
Thanks for the first answer to Question 4.

Check me on this but I believe if you have a stepped flywheel, itā€™s important to maintain the proper depth of the step when re-surfacing.

Check me on this but I believe if you have a stepped flywheel, itā€™s important to maintain the proper depth of the step when re-surfacing.
Yes very much so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom