flexy flexy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There we go very NICE & balanced.
I'm saving that one on my phone.
You should show that pic to people 1st over the fork lift pic.
Did you add front bumpstops or a body lift?
I have found the front diconnected SB wants to go up more than down.
flex 80.jpg

Last edited:
There we go very NICE & balanced.
I'm saving that one on my phone.
You should show that pic to people 1st over the fork lift pic.
Did you add front bumpstops or a body lift?
View attachment 1058422

No BL and factory front bump stops, the shocks are the stop limits both directions:redface: The tire is about ~1" from the top of the fender. I consider my a 80 just a very capable camper not a crawler so I should be fine:grinpimp:

I didnt take the pic I posted and I used the forklift mainly for the before and after technical results :rolleyes::D
Personally I like the disconnects more for the smooth articulation than the travel. Anymore its all about the ride.

Phil, how much did you grind off the top of your arms so they won't touch the axle holders?
ome_bushing_1.jpg

Phil, how much did you grind off the top of your arms so they won't touch the axle holders?
View attachment 1058426

Not so much off the top about 5/8" total on sides of the arms and they still touch the side of the bracket. You will also need to remove more than you want where the tie contacts the arms. I have about ~1"+ clearance at ride height now and I can still hit when flexed hard.

Use OEM bushings only others will not last

Not so much off the top about 5/8" total on sides of the arms and they still touch the side of the bracket. You will also need to remove more than you want where the tie contacts the arms. I have about ~1"+ clearance at ride height now and I can still hit when flexed hard.

Use OEM bushings only others will not last
You ground metal away from below the tie rod on the arm?
That's where I'm hitting at the 27" ext mark measured at shock. Thats why the OME stoped at 26.3 Withe the L shock. The L shock is max with out problems.

You ground metal away from below the tie rod on the arm?
That's where I'm hitting at the 27" ext mark measured at shock. Thats why the OME stoped at 26.3 Withe the L shock. The L shock is max with out problems.

Wait until you run caster plates.

I'm wondering if Man-a-fre drop brackets would do the opposite of caster plates???

How about just putting the rod up front & do a Tool-R-US 3 link.
arms.jpg

I'm wondering if Man-a-fre drop brackets would do the opposite of caster plates???

How about just putting the rod up front & do a Tool-R-US 3 link.
View attachment 1058537

There are a lot of old threads on this as you know. Im just going to leave it at 95% of the time you alter factory suspension there is a down side its up to you to determine what you willing to compromise.

This was after installing my Slee 4 inch. No rear swaybar and 12" billsteins.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428592140.068314.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428592189.534934.jpg

Testing out the stock suspension on our 97
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428592249.151587.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428592274.951715.jpg

The thing about the pictures above is that almost 75% of the flex shown is coming from the rear...

Hence why the hood angle is such, vs being flat when you 3 link the front.

I ditched my sways when I bought the rig in 01 and never looked back.

-A

I didn't see the part in the OP that said the pics must show front and rear pics .

When my Lexus grows up I want it to be like JCardona1's but with a Cummins :)

I'm learning that a balanced suspension should be the main focus.
These 80s have good flex in rear but the front needs alot of help. I believe this is where the disconnected SB and or a pulled pin mod helps with balance.

My $.02

I'm learning that a balanced suspension should be the main focus.
These 80s have good flex in rear but the front needs alot of help. I believe this is where the disconnected SB and or a pulled pin mod helps with balance.

My $.02

Or cut it all out and do it the right way :cheers:

It also seems that rigs with heavy springs have better results with sway bar disconnected... I have 851/860 mediums & feel very tippy with out they sway bar on side hills & drop outs.

LATER EDITED 11-16-15
I have learned that what I wrote here is wrong. The 851, 850 & 850J all have the same spring rate of 220lbs. It's the stiffer shocks like the OME L shocks that help. I now have the Ls & run with out they sway no problem.

Last edited:
It also seems that rigs with heavy springs have better results with sway bar disconnected... I have 851/860 mediums & feel very tippy with out they sway bar on side hills & drop outs.

If tend to agree with the above. I run heavy's, no sways and drive it like the big heavy truck that it. The again I also don't expect it to handle like my daily driver (14 4Runner trail W/ KDSS) or a sports car for that matter...

There are a lot of old threads on this as you know. Im just going to leave it at 95% of the time you alter factory suspension there is a down side its up to you to determine what you willing to compromise.

I am after that 5%. Tough to get there but that is the way I roll.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom