Flexible solar panels on hardshell RTTs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
Has any of you put flexible panels on RTTs? I have an iKamper and believe the top of it would be ideal.

I know a panel you can move around to follow the sun is the best, but I'm looking for something I can install and forget and that doesn't take up any extremely valuable cargo room when week long camping with my wife, 3 kids and dog. 😁

20190907_130655.jpg

Glenn has done it on his Baroud.

02561CC9-5427-4775-B556-D4C7FEE37BA1.jpeg

48FBBDE5-5ECF-4A56-96B0-4997C56C7530.jpeg

I highly suggest Merlin Solar. With permanent mounted flexible it pays off to spend a little more. More resistant to breakage, enhanced performance in all light conditions, adhesive backed, made in California.

Last edited:
Merlin panels aside you won't be able to install a flexible-bendable panel and "forget it". Having experienced failure of same less than 3-months of use...and the warranties are notoriously not worth the paper they're written on...if you go down that path make sure they are removable because its just a matter of time.

I highly suggest Merlin Solar. With permanent mounted flexible it pays off to spend a little more. More resistant to breakage, enhanced performance in all light conditions, adhesive backed, made in California.

Thanks for the info. Which model did you go with?

The one pictured is an 110 watt FX24R (4x6). You can definitely go bigger, up to 220. I’m working with Merlin right now to make a iKamper specific sized panel.

Has any of you put flexible panels on RTTs? I have an iKamper and believe the top of it would be ideal.

I know a panel you can move around to follow the sun is the best, but I'm looking for something I can install and forget and that doesn't take up any extremely valuable cargo room when week long camping with my wife, 3 kids and dog. 😁

View attachment 2081711
Andrew, just have to say new truck is WOW! Looks really good. With the tent you’ve got,
kind of awkward with the way the top tilts. what are you charging? Running from the charge?

Thanks dude! The angle is actually a good thing, though I'm not sure it's the perfect amount of degrees of angle. I'm more concerned wirh not being able to move the solar to follow the sun throughout the day.

Most of the drain is my dometic fridge/freezer (the big guy) and the odd charging or led lighting at night. Mostly the freezer.

I have a National Luna 50 Weekender FF. It’s not a big draw. Also managed to fit
a pair of series 31 in the front of the 60. Feel better about that now. But would feel better about
leaving the truck for 2-3 days if I had back up.

I've got the dual fridge cfx-75DZ. My plan is to put a house deep cycle 31 agm in the back of the truck and run the fridge, exterior lights, usb chargers etc off that.

I agree with most warranites arent worth paper they are written on, except with Merlin Solar. They are legit, not cheap but legit. I mounted one on top of my alu cab, and its the only panel out of the 7 Ive tried that actually charges even when its overcast or a branch or bird flies over. I think @Shoredreamer has a solid connect for them too.

Flexible panels have very low lifespan. You're also going to lose min 40% of potential power by not having it flat or angled towards the sun. And I'm not sure about you but I always try and park in the shade. You could def give it a go though, and worse case you could add a mobile solution in addition to. Check out Lensun Solar,

Flexible panels have very low lifespan. You're also going to lose min 40% of potential power by not having it flat or angled towards the sun. And I'm not sure about you but I always try and park in the shade. You could def give it a go though, and worse case you could add a mobile solution in addition to. Check out Lensun Solar,
Yea I have a zamp, renergies, aims power and merlin panels and have used them for years. flexible well made panels last a long time and put out actual wattage. JMO

The one pictured is an 110 watt FX24R (4x6). You can definitely go bigger, up to 220. I’m working with Merlin right now to make a iKamper specific sized panel.

Hey @Shoredreamer any info on the ikamper model? I may be interested if it is available sometime this winter! -Andrew

Hey @Shoredreamer any info on the ikamper model? I may be interested if it is available sometime this winter! -Andrew

We’re working on it with them. I’m hoping to get product in the next month. I’ll keep this thread posted. I’ve upgraded my iKamper to the 2.0 and wasn’t able to even pull up one corner of the panel to the shell of the tent. They use roofing grade adhesive backing. I’m really impressed with its holding strength. Nevertheless, I am inching to get a MERLIN panel back on my new tent!

Last edited:
We’re working on it with them. I’m hoping to get product in the next month. I’ll keep this thread posted. I’ve upgraded my iKamper to the 2.0 and wasn’t able to even pull up one corner of the panel to the shell of the tent. They use roofing grade adhesive backing. I’m really impressed with its holding strength. Nevertheless, I am inching to get a MERLIN panel back on my new tent!

Hey @Shoredreamer ! Any update on the iKamper solar panel? I am starting to make a list for this spring's purchases (in order to get everything lined up for this summer's adventure)

Yes we’ve got them in stock and just need to get them on the website and finalize details on the backend. It’s job #1 for me starting next Monday!

Yes we’ve got them in stock and just need to get them on the website and finalize details on the backend. It’s job #1 for me starting next Monday!
What is the wattage output on this one? Andrew, what output size do you think you need?

What is the wattage output on this one? Andrew, what output size do you think you need?

Min 150 watts... would prefer 300. There's room for it up there. Was measuring out some Renogy flexible panels, it can fit two 150watts side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom