Fj80 into fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EarthX

Owner of Earth Exploration Technologies
Threads
Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a high pinion third out of an 94 fj80 into a front axle of a '85 fj80?:cheers:

Thanks for the help. I was hope to put a high pinion in to help drivline issuses. :cheers:

Huh, Why does the Ring Gear size matter? I always thought ya could, Its just a weaker set up....even though there is one under my 62;)

So then maybe you can? What other parts are needed?

Ya got me man...my fj62 sits on top of an 80 series frame axles and drivetrain.
I know mini truck users are always after them....

can't be done, the front 3rd member of an 80 is smaller than that of the 60 3rd member.................. but I could be wrong, I just know when I was looking to throw and 80's elocker 3rd in the front of my 62 I was told repeatedly that I had to use the rear 3rd of an 80 and not the front

Mor4wd said:
So then maybe you can? What other parts are needed?

You'd need to swap the whole axle housing, and then figure out what you're going to do about hysteer and your 5" wider front axle.

Have you rotated the front axle? Edit: You have. What sort of driveline issues?

Well my problem is the I have a 350 with a supercharger and an automatic transmition. And due to the height and flex I need a double cardon front shaft. But becasue the tight space near the automatic tranny I can only fit a very small double, and that keeps snaping.

Run the cardin shaft with the double at the pinion insted of the transfer case.

Dynosoar

(I do this with a V-8 350 and a turbo 400)

Mor4wd said:
Well my problem is the I have a 350 with a supercharger and an automatic transmition. And due to the height and flex I need a double cardon front shaft. But becasue the tight space near the automatic tranny I can only fit a very small double, and that keeps snaping.

How big is a small double cardon? Who built the shaft?

Dynosoar said:
Run the cardin shaft with the double at the pinion insted of the transfer case. (I do this with a V-8 350 and a turbo 400)

How does that cancel out the movement of the tansfercase u-joint?

My understanding of the theory behind the double cardon was that the pinion had a regular ujoint pointed directly at the transfer (and therefore no real movement) and the double cardon at the transfer then cancels itself out, giving no vibration. By switching the shaft around, you have one u-joint operating at a steep angle and no angle at the pinion ujoint, causing vibration at the transfercase end. There simply wouldn't be any need for a double cardon at the pinion. :confused: I apologize for lack of technical terms.

ridgerunner said:
How does that cancel out the movement of the tansfercase u-joint?

My understanding of the theory behind the double cardon was that the pinion had a regular ujoint pointed directly at the transfer (and therefore no real movement) and the double cardon at the transfer then cancels itself out, giving no vibration. By switching the shaft around, you have one u-joint operating at a steep angle and no angle at the pinion ujoint, causing vibration at the transfercase end. There simply wouldn't be any need for a double cardon at the pinion. :confused: I apologize for lack of technical terms.

I think you are right on. That would solve my clearence issue BUT I would loose the flex of the double cardon.
My drive shafts were built by tom woods(whom Ill never use again) But i belive the are a 1350? Does that sound right?

Mor4wd said:
I think you are right on. That would solve my clearence issue BUT I would loose the flex of the double cardon.
My drive shafts were built by tom woods(whom Ill never use again) But i belive the are a 1350? Does that sound right?

So is your thinking of using the high pinion diff that you could use a regular shaft and get rid of the double cardan?

1350 sounds right. Personally, I think I would call Jesse at Highangle to see if he could do any better than Tom Woods.

ridgerunner said:
So is your thinking of using the high pinion diff that you could use a regular shaft and get rid of the double cardan?

1350 sounds right. Personally, I think I would call Jesse at Highangle to see if he could do any better than Tom Woods.

That is about what I was thinking. My other thought was just to swap the whole axle and not worry about it. Ever heard of it being done?
Ill have to call highangle and see what he can offer. :cheers:

ridgerunner said:
People here have swapped 80 axles into 40s, 55, 60s before. That could still be a viable route, but more $$$.

Good luck!
Yeah, ill need some luck to find a donor 80.

1350's are weaker and have less flex than an cruiser u-joint. No chance on getting a 81-84 fj60 drive shaft with doubleC ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom