Fj80 axle strength (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

itbrokeagain

SILVER Star
Threads
I am wanting to do an engine swap in my fj80. Currently my front has Nitro axles, 5.29 gears, Front Range Offroad Hub studs, and looking into six shooter knuckles. The rear has been swapped out to a 95 axle and has Nitro axles and Front Range Hub studs. If I go with a 5.3 and I have a heavy right foot am I going to start breaking axles? So far with a 3fe I haven't had issues. I have 38 inch tires but a lot of the body has been chopped and it's pretty light. I need the wheel speed and who doesn't like the sound of an LS bouncing off the rev limiter

With 38's and that combo you are kind of on the edge, definitely not a bullet proof setup, but fine for most of the stuff you may throw at it. The extra power also comes with shedding a few pounds over the Toyota motor.

I never killed any front diffs but rears and front hub components.

I think your wanting the hellfire ruffstuff knuckles and not six shooters, unless they are making them for 80's now

I haven't had hub issues since I installed the hub studs. And yes I meant hellfires. I just happened to be on trailgears site right before i typed this

With the 5.3, what transmission and transfercase are you going to run? The final drive ratio will have a lot to do with the breakage you see. More engine output = more power that's multiplied by the final drive ratio. Auto vs manual is a big thing too.

My plan was to go Auto and just swap everything because I think it'd be easier that way. I like the 3fe but it all the mud on the east Coast there are times I just need a lot more wheel speed and who doesn't like the sound of an ls?

Totally understood on the reason for the swap. I love having more power than stock.

Question, if you find that the FJ80 axles aren't strong enough, will you try chromos, a FF rear, or move to one tons? That decision will affect which transfer case you select, and what adapters you may or may not have to invest in.

You are right. I should do it. That's the best advice I've gotten

Lol, my guess is mashing your foot down in the right spot, when a tire catches traction it will break something. As to what? No idea. Front ring and pinion? Birf?

Totally understood on the reason for the swap. I love having more power than stock.

Question, if you find that the FJ80 axles aren't strong enough, will you try chromos, a FF rear, or move to one tons? That decision will affect which transfer case you select, and what adapters you may or may not have to invest in.

Already swapped to a full float rear and I have nitro's front and rear with ARP studs front and rear. The weak link is probably my lock right up front. If I have to swap I'm going to tons. I really don't want to do that if I don't have to right now but I don't want to go through all the trouble of putting a different engine in immediately start having issues. So basically where are the limits? I know I can stretch it just a little because I'm fairly light. I have a friend with a 97 but he is still full bodied and he does not beat on his half as hard. His survives with 40s no problem. I'm on 38 and if I don't make it the first time I hit it harder the second

I don't know you or your wheeling style, but it sounds like you're at the cusp of strength for Toy axles. Are you going to stay on 38s forever or move up past that?

Built toy axles are about as strong as a set of stock one ton axles. Assuming you plan to move up your tire size down the line, I'd recommend putting in a centered rear output transfer case in with your engine and transmission, and run the driveshaft at an angle for a while. Should run fine until you can save up and put one tons under it.

the thing when you move to 1ton it's ground clearance .. then being on 1ton you will be forced to move up on tires ..

Without shaving, yes. A shaved 14b can actually have better ground clearance than a stock 9.5" LC differential housing.

Without shaving, yes. A shaved 14b can actually have better ground clearance than a stock 9.5" LC differential housing.

with the same tire size .?

not to count on weight that's another point to take in the equation ..

Yes, with the same tire size.
There's only about a one hundred pound difference in weight between a 14 bolt and a landcruiser "9.5" axle, and the weight is down low, which is a good thing.

Exactly what @mr jits said above. The additional weight is really not a concern when you think about the ~5x increase in strength.

These aren't sportscars. Unsprung weight isn't such a bad thing :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom