Fj62 Underdash wiring bundle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellas any idea what this wiring bundle collection is under my dash? They are stacks of heat shrinked ceramic capacitors…I think!

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

Is there and old school amplifier under there?
I’ve not found any amp of any kind. Still totally stock radio and speakers. I found one of these packs of capacitors wired into the alternator and several more in the engine bay on the passenger side. Wired into the coil and distributor.

Not sure. Definitely not OEM.

It’s stacks of these things (pic from Google.) one leg tied to wiring other leg to ground.

IMG_3551.jpeg

no telling what PO's do
aftermarket wiring for something, alarm, stereo, hamm, mood lighting, etc
I'm not a fan of the type of wire tap hooked into the OEM wires

Last edited:
Capacitors are used to filter alternator noise. It looks like the PO knew a thing or two about electricity- but of course didn’t document any of his changes.
Capacitors in parallel wired into the OEM wiring harness is not something a stereo installation shop would ever do.

Those taps are Godawful, but I'd sure be interested in finding out what circuits these are all connected to, which might give us an idea WTH those were put in for.

Capacitors are used to filter alternator noise. It looks like the PO knew a thing or two about electricity- but of course didn’t document any of his changes.
Capacitors in parallel wired into the OEM wiring harness is not something a stereo installation shop would ever do.
Right! On all you mentioned. But I wonder why such a shotgun approach? These bundles are all over the place.
I want to start removing them cause they may end up causing more problems than they were meant to solve.
I did remove one of them that was wired into the alternator. But that one also has a regular 110 residential plug in the mix. Legit lamp cord. Figured that was some type of block heater rig. Then I saw them elsewhere.
They’re soldered in and then the connections are covered with a JB weld kind of malleable epoxy and shrink wrapped.
I may just start pulling them out and seeing what happens.

Right! On all you mentioned. But I wonder why such a shotgun approach? These bundles are all over the place.
I want to start removing them cause they may end up causing more problems than they were meant to solve.
I did remove one of them that was wired into the alternator. But that one also has a regular 110 residential plug in the mix. Legit lamp cord. Figured that was some type of block heater rig. Then I saw them elsewhere.
They’re soldered in and then the connections are covered with a JB weld kind of malleable epoxy and shrink wrapped.
I may just start pulling them out and seeing what happens.
Don't forget to disconnect your battery the night before so they can dissipate!

:rofl: Hopefully there is enough parasitic resistance to drain those overnight
In these old rigs there should be! LOL

Hey @Mhks68 something just occurred to me. How stable is your voltage gauge? Do you notice the characteristic dipping when your blinkers/flashers are on, when you first switch on your wipers, when you first shift into Reverse?

Do you have led headlights, I got a ton of electronic noise from them, I had to add magnetic chokes to all the headlight cables so my radio would sound good again...
(Luckily I had a whole box of assorted ones)

I agree this was an attempt to fix an electronic noise issue by A PO who knew stuff.

Some of the worst automotive wiring I have seen has been done by electricians and electrical engineers. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of those cases

Do you have led headlights, I got a ton of electronic noise from them, I had to add magnetic chokes to all the headlight cables so my radio would sound good again...

I agree this was an attempt to fix an electronic noise issue by A PO who knew stuff.
Out of curiosity, what brand of LED headlights are you running?

In these old rigs there should be! LOL

Hey @Mhks68 something just occurred to me. How stable is your voltage gauge? Do you notice the characteristic dipping when your blinkers/flashers are on, when you first switch on your wipers, when you first shift into Reverse?
I will give it a look tomorrow. Just ordered the FSM. To help with everything. I kind of figure there is a gremlin they just could not find and whatever this approach is solved it. Somehow?!?

As bone stock as it gets. If not for some sort of glitch. I wonder if this wasn’t some kind of mechanics sales pitch to the older lady that owned it. Some miracle contraption that will make the car run better, more MPG, better drivability etc etc.
I dunno. I’ll dig in once the FSM comes in and I can begin charting out the circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom