FJ62 H55F conversion using late 60 tcase - FJ62 speedo cable okay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
My H55F conversion is still a month out (assuming the virus pandemonium doesn't get worse), but the speedo cable on my 62 is shot. I have a new OEM cable ready to be put in, but before I do that I was wondering if it can be used with the late 60 tcase that's going in with the H55F. If yes, I'll go ahead and change the cable out. If no, I'll get a late 60 cable on order and wait for the conversion to put it in.

yes it's fine

yes they are the same cable. the fj62 just has heat shielding on it. i did the comparison myself at cruiser outfitters

The speedo gear in the 60 transfer case along the driven gear on the speedo cable are different on 60 than the 62 (to calibrate the axle gearing). I don't know if the 62 speedo cable gear meshes perfectly with the 60 transfer case speedo drive gear - but I think the speedo will be off about 10%

IIRC over the course of the 60 series there have been 3 different speedo cable iterations.

Shortest one for the H42 without spacer (1981-84)
Intermediate length cable to work with the H42/H55F with spacer (1985-87)
Longest cable in the FJ62 because the A440F is longer than the manual transmissions.

Doesn't matter what speedo gear in in the t-case the cable will still work. In my 60s I have gone to using a FJ62 speedo cable with the extra length because this gives a little extra working space behind the gauge cluster when hooking up the cable.

The speedo gear in the 60 transfer case along the driven gear on the speedo cable are different on 60 than the 62 (to calibrate the axle gearing). I don't know if the 62 speedo cable gear meshes perfectly with the 60 transfer case speedo drive gear - but I think the speedo will be off about 10%

with the FJ62 4.11's and 33" tires the FJ60 speedo gear will make the speedometer read correctly. mine is only 4-5 mph off with 35" tires/4.11's/FJ60 speedo gear

I don't know which speedo gear ratio I have in my t-case, FJ60 or 62 because I've swapped parts around. The nylon speedo gear is a 6x16 and smaller in diameter than another I have on hand (I think this on is a 8x16). With 4.11s and 255/85/16s my speedo is only off by 1-2 mph as checked against a GPS.

with the FJ62 4.11's and 33" tires the FJ60 speedo gear will make the speedometer read correctly. mine is only 4-5 mph off with 35" tires/4.11's/FJ60 speedo gear
Good to know for sure, since that's my plan once the H55F is in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom