Builds fj62 gets a lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ive read lots of people saying they like the bushing better as they hold up better and can take more stress. the brass is also supposed to be self lubricating but mine just doesnt seem to work. ill document it as i get started. i hope i dont regret it but 4x4labs has a reputation for making some pretty stout stuff. itll be a bunch of work but i just lost my patience last week when i literally had to kick the swing out about 10 times to get it to close. theres no way my wife would ever get in the trunk if she needed to

You could try these side window hatches. They would definitely make it easier for your wife to use your 62. At least that’s the angle I’ve been trying to use with my wife. :)

These guys sell them in the US

These guys are in AU but appear to ship to US and likely CA

Last edited:
i shouldn’t be able to do this!

8D2E3279-50A1-4740-BE52-7310BA7E7293.jpeg

i have the back wheel off the ground trying to get this swing out to move. ALL of the weight is on that bushing and it is so seized that it didn’t budge. i’m so mad at it right now. not sure how to get it off.

edit: after two hours of trying to get it off and making no progress i’ve decided i’ll have to cut it off when my new spindles get here. that’s going to be a spring project. 🤬

Last edited:
i shouldn’t be able to do this!

View attachment 3233223

i have the back wheel off the ground trying to get this swing out to move. ALL of the weight is on that bushing and it is so seized that it didn’t budge. i’m so mad at it right now. not sure how to get it off.

edit: after two hours of trying to get it off and making no progress i’ve decided i’ll have to cut it off when my new spindles get here. that’s going to be a spring project. 🤬

Have you tried to heat the top of the spindle up? It might be tricky with the proximity to the rear end.

Shop techs will use applications of heat and penetrating oil alternating to heat and quench stuff on 40’s that don’t want to come off.

I’d get a bottle of few bottles of mapp gas and see if you heat it up it will break free. Might try and spray pen oil in every day as well.

I have a tire carrier swing out that has a frozen spindle. I have been meaning to do this same thing.

I do think that a bearing supported design is more serviceable especially if traveling, as many places have trailer bearings.

I bet you can get it to free up. 💪😉

so i finally cut the swing arms off. they were sooooo frozen i couldn’t budge them. here’s what the inside of the spindle looks like
IMG_6371.jpeg

so now i have to pull the bumper off and get rebuilding it. i have 4x4 labs spindles with bearings. should be easier to maintain them i hope. i’ve tried all sorts of stuff with the bushings and it just doesn’t work where i live.

so i finally cut the swing arms off. they were sooooo frozen i couldn’t budge them. here’s what the inside of the spindle looks like View attachment 3367162

so now i have to pull the bumper off and get rebuilding it. i have 4x4 labs spindles with bearings. should be easier to maintain them i hope. i’ve tried all sorts of stuff with the bushings and it just doesn’t work where i live.
Wow. That’s next level dry!

1689947077552.jpeg

so back to this post. i installed this this week. fuel
pin for the 1hdt pump. was easier instal that i thought it might be. the scary part is once you remove the original pin the only way to get it back in is to either grind it or take the pump apart. i sure didn’t want to have to take my pump apart.

this pin comes with a pre ground ramp for insertion. you just have to turn it
180 degrees once inserted to get the fuel ramp facing the follower pin to the front of the pump.

my pump had been set to run with 20 psi of boost so i didn’t really have to play with spring tension but i did remove a couple shims that had previously been put in place. this will allow for fuller travel of this new pin.

the only real adjustment i had to make was with the off boost screw to get a little
more fuel from idle.
IMG_6427.jpeg

these are the shims i removed. a little grease to help things slide is helpful.

my butt dyno tells me there was a significant improvement of power especially further into the throttle. oddly enough on a trip i now usually make for work that drains my tank i also had 1/4 tank left! goes to show how a poorly set fuel pin can cause sluggish throttle response while killing fuel economy. i’m very pleased with this upgrade.

interestingly the old pin had been ground by someone. it wasn’t well done.
IMG_6447.jpeg
IMG_6448.jpeg

been a while since i’ve posted on this thread. i’ve been chasing my tail trying g to get my engine rebuild all year. i’ve just had a hard time finding someone near me who could both pull and rebuild it. well the day has finally come. i’ll be without it now for a few months but i can’t live with the oil leak. it’s my girdle so the engine has to come out. so while it’s out its time for a refresh!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom