FJ62 destruction --> turbo HZJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

esh

Threads
Website
www.cascadecruisers.com
Well I hit a speed bump at the local mall trying to get to Cinnabon and the Hello Kitty Trading Card Emporium. Lo and behold my motor fell out.

engine%20out.jpg

Luckily we found some bits lying around here and there to use...

engine.jpg

turbo.jpg

So with enough bailing wire and duct tape I could be rolling again in a week.. unfortunately my friend says I have to run french fries or something in it. I do not like the sound of this! Might just run it off a cliff and buy a Suburban Hybrid to be more "green."

While we were figuring out which parts needed bubble gum reinforcement (we have cases of bubble gum lying around being big hello kitty trading card fans!), the dash made a funny noise and blew apart!

pedal%20work2.jpg

spewing parts all over the place...

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

So we had to go looking for more stuff to fix the destroyed pieces and found a couple usable bits

pedals.jpg

drivetrain.jpg

I just hope nothing else falls off. My jaw is getting tired.

Last edited:
It is actually a .86 A/R, and will probably run it at 10psi. The turbos are on ebay, along with drain setups, fittings, and a machined plate thingamajiggers. Lynchmob is the brains of the outfit, I am the monkey labor when I can be bothered to get up to his shop. :D

We have been working details out and acquiring parts since about November. The final adapter is going to be built at a local machine shop. LM was going to do it but it would have been a drag on his time (he is busy) and probably wouldn't come out quite the same as from a shop that does this stuff all the time.

Will get some detail shots when it is ready to go. The motor is about ready to drop in for mount fitment save for a couple parts we're waiting on. Should be in and running this weekend. Pedal work isn't too bad to do, though we found that pre-85 bucket and 86-87 are different in that the holes for the master cyl are differently oriented.. and of course I bought a newer cylinder for the older bucket.

Modified my fuel filler neck to remove the gasohol nozzle restricter.. which is kind of a pain in the ass. If I did it again I would just attack it with my air dremel and be done with it. Also had to disconnect the in-tank fuel pump. I am moving the head to my '79 FJ40 so I have some wiring loom cleanup to do after everything is set.

X2 on the hating thing :flipoff2:

-Carl

Another weekend, an inch of progress...

first some additional previous weekend shots-

auto vs manual pedal buckets

pedal%20buckets.jpg

3rd pedal!

clutch%20pedal.jpg

3FE coming out

3fe%20coming%20out.jpg

drivetrain assembled

drivetrain%20assembled.jpg

always good to check that you can shift.. we couldn't, so the rails needed a little alignment (much easier outside the truck!)

align%20shift%20rails.jpg

gears in really good shape, no rounding or wear anywhere

h55%20gears.jpg

positioning engine to locate temp mounts

engine%20positioning.jpg

side view of engine.. higher than final position will be

engine%20profile%20on%20hoist.jpg

rough position relative to front.. fan position to shroud looks pretty dead on

engine%20front%20clearence.jpg

height shot, a little higher than what it will finally be

engine%20height.jpg

motor mount located in final spot

motor%20mount.jpg

the eagle has landed

engine%20installed.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! That is a serious upgrade.

Wanna come do mine? :D

nope, I'm next in line....and since I'm dreaming...he's doing it all for free!

My friend doing this is actually trying to do this as a business. I partly went with this over a vortec to give him another build under his belt. This is the 4th one. The last one was a paying customer and if you head over to my build in the Land Cruiser forum on expedition portal, that customer chimed in (12HT/H55 into a 60 series).

Anyways, he currently has a 1PZ, 1HZ, and a 12H-T available, and an HD-T on the way. So if anyone were serious about doing a factory Toyota diesel conversion, here's a guy with great experience, parts sources, and desire to do it. He can get in just about any drivetrain component desired.

My friend doing this is actually trying to do this as a business. I partly went with this over a vortec to give him another build under his belt. This is the 4th one. The last one was a paying customer and if you head over to my build in the Land Cruiser forum on expedition portal, that customer chimed in (12HT/H55 into a 60 series).

Anyways, he currently has a 1PZ, 1HZ, and a 12H-T available, and an HD-T on the way. So if anyone were serious about doing a factory Toyota diesel conversion, here's a guy with great experience, parts sources, and desire to do it. He can get in just about any drivetrain component desired.

Hmmm, a 12-HT in my rig sounds about right.

Hey Bob!

Yeah the 12H-T was really powerful in the 60 series he did. Went for a ride in it and power just kept coming and coming like a freight train. Turbos are definitely the ticket for the Toyota diesels. I went with the HZ just because it was there and ready to go at the time.

By the way, your HD OME springs are still going strong. Hardly any settling since I've had them and I think we're probably on 9-10 years now? Awesome.

nice nice .. congrats .. you will be really happy with this engine and Turbo .. just try to keep your cooling system as good as you can ..

the 1HZ are great engines but with turbo the IDI setup have some cooling issues ..

The 3FE head stuff is going into my '79 FJ40, the block is probably ripe for a rebuild, and the auto/transfer very likely need rebuilding.

While the cat's away...
(visiting ze Germans Picasa Web Albums - Ken - Germany - drafts)

It reportedly runs and now needs a few things to get it reasonably drivable. I have to do interior stuff, wiring up switches and gauges, and getting started on phase 2 of my work.. mostly finalizing my storage platform and all the stuff related to that.

This weekend the exhaust should be in, turbo oil line in and turbo mounted, some wiring complete for fuel cut, alternator and glow circuit.

I have wagongear.com cargo panels on the way, need to order the RAAMmat sound deadening, and then wait to get in the 40 gallon fuel tank and split rear seats (part of the platform design work). Have a bunch of electronics to install (wait for sound deadening), a tuffy security console, new passenger's door and fender to paint and install. Going to order a Waeco 40qt fridge/freezer and mount it up.

Some phone pics of it a few days ago-

getting%20closer%20to%20finished.jpg

note the fan spinning :D
engine%20running2.jpg

so much cleaner without all the vacuum/emissions stuff
engine%20running.jpg

Last edited:
Hope you get your 3FE figured out! I was assuming a normally healthy running motor from your post. Stick with the 3FE list for specific wisdom. There are some good people on it as long as you don't get them distracted with beer talk. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom