FJ62 3rd Row Seating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My apologies for the Noob post on this topic, but I couldn't find a good solution scouring the threads. I just got a clean 88 FJ62 a few days ago and have been looking everywhere on options of adding a 3rd row to it. I've read posts on adding in littlepassengerseats, IPOR fold and tumble seats, tahoe seats, Defender jump seats, etc. Even read of some folks that ran into gas tank clearance issues.

For those of you that have added a 3rd row to their 62 or even 60, Did it ever work out for you and do you have any pictures/tips you can share?

Much appreciated. Jaime

This was by no means a perfect option but it did the job well for me.

My apologies for the Noob post on this topic, but I couldn't find a good solution scouring the threads. I just got a clean 88 FJ62 a few days ago and have been looking everywhere on options of adding a 3rd row to it. I've read posts on adding in littlepassengerseats, IPOR fold and tumble seats, tahoe seats, Defender jump seats, etc. Even read of some folks that ran into gas tank clearance issues.

For those of you that have added a 3rd row to their 62 or even 60, Did it ever work out for you and do you have any pictures/tips you can share?

Much appreciated. Jaime

What about the oem 3rd row seats? Did you get them in the states? They come up for sale over here in aus from time to time.

I would have loved a set of OEM but they’re unobtanium in the US. If you can get them I’d do that before what I did, but my only advantage is the seats I chose have the belts self contained, so no need to tap into the rear pillars

This is timely.... I've been thinking about this for a while now. (well, only for about for the past 5 months to be exact now that I have kiddo #3 coming in November!!).

I would love to find a tumble 40/60 type setup for a 3rd row. Or better yet, just the 40 side to fit one kid and a dog back there. Have you all come across anything like that? The closest I've seen is the crazy awesome ($$$) TLC custom. (you can see the setup around 4min mark).

I didn't see a 3rd row selection at SOR--perhaps they stopped carrying that?
I'll keep looking as the clock ticks to D-day. :)

I’ve toyed with this idea over the years... cane to the conclusion that if the family ever grows it’ll be a sequoia or 100 series for me.

Saw this and was mulling over the same thing, I think there are a few iterations of 40 series seats that fold and are supposedly smaller that would work as well

headroom is also a thing to consider, most of the time I put someone in the cargo bay with a beach chair and a six pack and nobody complains anyways

53E5B093-84B6-413E-96B6-4516204BB136.jpeg

I’ve toyed with this idea over the years... cane to the conclusion that if the family ever grows it’ll be a sequoia or 100 series for me.

Yeah, I hear ya. At what point should I throw the towel in? We aren't planning on going more than 3 kids and dog so this should be the last upgrade from that point of view. I've already gone from a two door '03 tacoma, to the FJ62. I've still got the Tacoma which (I'm finding it hard to part with) so I'm running out of garage/driveway space.
Not sure how much I can push it with mod'ing the 62 but this am I was under it looking at the spare tire/tank/floor configuration to see what options I might have to design a recessed fold-tumble seat if I put my spare tire on the rear (which I need to do anyways, I've got 33's). I'm sure I'm going to catch heat for my mod ideas from the wife instead of just selling for something newer and bigger.... haha

I’d feel a little leary putting my kids back in a home brew third row for more than a small trip. I just don’t think there’s a reall safe way to do it

I’d feel a little leary putting my kids back in a home brew third row for more than a small trip. I just don’t think there’s a reall safe way to do it
I can understand and appreciate that. I guess it depends on your skill/engineering level and what you feel comfortable with. It's a 30 year old vehicle so there's no comparison in terms of safety with today's vehicles. (My wife's car is the long distance family truckster.)
I recently came across picture of my uncle holding a my older brother in a car seat (mid- 70's I'm guessing). It looked like a metal box chair/mouse trap. I need to find that pic.

How did he/we ever survived?

I have oem troopy seats in my 81 and my kid love to sit back there. They love it when we hit a bump and they fly up in the air.

However, there are no seatbelts and I don’t think I would let them sit back there once we return to the US next year.

5F331FC8-5DE7-4679-85CE-577D9CC0DBF7.jpeg

I have oem troopy seats in my 81 and my kid love to sit back there. They love it when we hit a bump and they fly up in the air.

However, there are no seatbelts and I don’t think I would let them sit back there once we return to the US next year.

View attachment 2355816

now we need more pictures man! Are they out of a 75 series?

I've seen pictures of a fold and tumble seat out of a TJ in the back of a 60. Left enough room off to the side for a cooler and plenty of room for carrying stuff when folded forward.

Reactions: dpw
I've seen pictures of a fold and tumble seat out of a TJ in the back of a 60. Left enough room off to the side for a cooler and plenty of room for carrying stuff when folded forward.
Nice, thats the setup I’m going for.
TJ as in the mini van? I just google’d it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom