FJ60 Temp gauge unusually high (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ouano.com and www.newbreedacademy.com
Here's my issue with my newly rebuilt engine. Just about everything in the engine is new or rebuilt (new radiator, fan clutch & water pump)

I noticed that after a while the temp gauge needle goes up to almost the red area. I took it back to the shop who did the work and had pressure testing done. Had the water pump checked again and checked all hoses for leaks. Everything seems to be just fine.

The engine temperature all around the engine (running) stays normal under 190 degrees. We replaced the thermostat sensor with factory sensor without any luck.

Anyone have a clue as to what to do? It's so frustrating!

At 190 you don't have a thing to worry about. The stock thermostat is 88 deg. C which is equivalent to 190 deg. F. How was that temperate determined? Do you have an after market gauge? Was the replacement sender a Toyota part or after market? Have you considered replacing your temp gauge? Is your fan clutch kicking in at high temps? With this info it will be easier to narrow down your issue.

Dynosoar

The mechanic used a thermostat gun and took temperatures in every angle. This after driving for 45 minutes. No steam coming out. Like I said everything is pretty much new or rebuilt. The fan clutch works great. Bought it brand new and works very well. The sender is Toyota part. New Thermostat and pump.

It's pissing me off. Also, my coolant reservoir slowly gets low. We're unable to find any leaks.

My mechanic has suggested replacing the temp gauge. It will require two days worth of work to remove the dash.

Aaaaaarrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!

Is it a 60 or 62? The 60 temperature gauge can be replace in about 30 minutes including removing and installing the gauge cluster. You don't have to remove the dash.

I just switched out my fuel gauge a week ago it took 20-30 minutes from begining to end.

Dynosoar

Anyone have a digram or picture on how to replace temp gauge? It's my 1987 FJ60.
Here's a pix of my baby before the complete rebuild. I'll have new pix soon.
FJ60 engine DSCN7147.JPG
FJ60 Left side DSCN7055.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom