FJ60 Steering Column U-Joints/Spider Joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

So I know that the larger u-joint/spider joint before the intermediate shaft toward the firewall on the steering column can be replaced. However, can the smaller u-joint/spider joint at the end of the intermediate shaft be replaced as well (see pic below)? I do not see any outer c-clips on it like the larger one. If so, can someone tell me how to remove it and possibly the part number?

Thanks

Spider.JPG

I believe that end of the shaft with the U-joint was sold as a final assembly together. No parts available for that u-joint

Stumbled on this while searching for the part number for the greaseable joint. Is it possible that smaller U joint is held in by inner clips that would allow it to be pressed out when removed? Be convenient (especially if the assembly is NLA. Haven't looked into that yet myself though) if there's a Japanese made U joint that can be used as a replacement.

I think I read at some point on here that these were the same as an early Corolla U-joint. See here:

I call down to American Toyota in ABQ. C-Dan is not in, but one of his boys gets on the phone and says they were just talking about these joints, and they are the same as a u-joint in the driveshaft of a early Corrola - 1200 cc model. So I bounce into the next parts store (Carquest) and ask for a u-joint for driveshaft of an early 1200 cc Corolla, and SHAZAM! She has them in stock and they fit!

From 2006. Full link:

(82) Jinkies! FJ60 steering column u-joint info | IH8MUD Forum

HTH.

That joint can be found in GMB catalog. I don't remember the code but found with dimensios from local shop. If you look close you can see that it is locked in place with small bumps.

the early steering shaft, 1981-1985? used a larger u-joint than the pic above.
the earlier ones can be replaced
So the FJ62 and late 60 U joints in the shaft can NOT be replaced? I had been under the impression for years that the Corolla U joints were actually the ones compatible with the 62 and late 60 steering shafts.

So the FJ62 and late 60 U joints in the shaft can NOT be replaced? I had been under the impression for years that the Corolla U joints were actually the ones compatible with the 62 and late 60 steering shafts.
Here is the diagram for early 60 series that shows the intermediate shaft (45260). I have a late 1985 US SPEC FJ60 and I have replaced the u joint in the intermediate shaft. It’s the same part used in the shaft that exits the firewall (45203).

E4EB4252-0C54-4A4A-BC5F-0728254E36E4.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom