FJ60 or 62 & which year is best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rehashed over and over, but....

1981/2 FJ60's are odd balls with poor parts support (ala it's own steering box).

1981-1983 and even to 1985 headliners suck (esp the early). The "foam" style are really better.

H55 swaps can be done to any, but t-case will not work from 8/80 to 1983 (7th month, maybe earlier). I had one in my May 1983 (used H55/t-case combo) easy fit.

4/5 1985s and later directly take a H55- but I did not say you can't go earlier (see above). Driveshafts (retube about $100-$200 depending on location), gear shift lever (t-case) and a 5 minute grind on bellhousing that's it.

11/1985+ get 38mm t-cases- the best case Toyota made IMNSHO.

4/5 1985 + will even accept FZJ80 steering boxes as replacement.

FJ62's- I don't have a fondness for them, especially the common 10mpg feature (most get that, don't argue the truth!). E windows and auto are downside. Steering wheel/dash is much better than FJ60, rear sway bar, and rear shoulder seat belts are common.

I'd like FJ62's if they were EFI 2F's (3F head on 2F) or carb 3F's (non US) and a H55.

I have a 83 fj60 dont remember what month.

Why would a T-case from 8/80 to 83 work with a H55F? The 38mm idler shaft?

If I recall the differences in early steering boxes VS later boxes is just the bolt pattern? Are there 3 different boxes for the 60 series?

When I bought my 60 it was bone stock, it was mention on here that in 83 they came with York compressors but mine has a Denso compressor in a factory bracket. Was this a crossover year for this?

What about a fj62 frame makes it stronger? Double layering in the moast rear cross member?

I plan on starting in the next year doing a frame off resto on my 60 dooing a 2FE with H55F. I would love to have the best aspects from all years.

Question: I'm interested in buying a fj60, one of the ones that I'm interested in is has a mechanical problem. It hiccups at high RPMs. Reading other forums it could possibly have to do with a sensor. Do you think it's worth purchasing ? If so, how much would it cost to fix that issue? Anyone know what the issue might be? Thanks for the help.

That's very vague. It could have a number of different issues. If it passes a leak down and compression test is ok, I'd look at a valve adjustment or an ignition problem.

Or bad gas. Too many variables.

Just purchased a 60 series cruiser.
How can you tell if it's a 62 or a 60?
And I also want to lift it to fit 33" tires what's the best lift

Just purchased a 60 series cruiser.
How can you tell if it's a 62 or a 60?
And I also want to lift it to fit 33" tires what's the best lift

Welcome!

What year? 80-87s are all FJ60s. 88-90 are all FJ62s. All 60s have round headlights, all 62s have square headlights.

All FJ60s have a carb. FJ62s all have fuel injection which is a huge plus.

The best lift right now is no lift. Spend a year fixing all the stuff that needs fixing, drive it as much as you can afford. Then come back and ask about modifications. The basic problem is the gearing. If you just install 33s your gearing will be wrong. And 60/62 have different gearing and needs. So if you're still asking what you bought, you don't need a lift.

And, if you're wondering which year is best (title of this thread), it's the year you have. They are all good.

Hello
It's a 1988, with square headlights. It's a62.
What's the gearing in a 62.
What other modifications can be done?

Listen to Drew - He will save you money. No offense, but you seem to have a lot to learn about 60-series Cruisers and it would behoove you to do so before throwing money on mods.

If there's a lot of miles on the truck, check the FAQ and do a trans flush.

Gearing in the FJ62, stock, is 4:11 FJ60s are 3.73

Listen to Drew - He will save you money. No offense, but you seem to have a lot to learn about 60-series Cruisers and it would behoove you to do so before throwing money on mods.

If there's a lot of miles on the truck, check the FAQ and do a trans flush.

Gearing in the FJ62, stock, is 4:11 FJ60s are 3.73

Ha-listen to me and you'll spend a whole lot in the end!

FJ62s have 4.11 gearing which is good, but not a good match with 33 inch tires. The auto trans is very sensitive to tire size/gearing and for 33 inch tires you'll really want 4.88 gears. Or.........You can save your coins, and install a 5 speed H55f transmission in your FJ62, then the stock gearing is perfect with 33 inch tires. But while you contemplate this, it really is best to do nothing. Fix all the leaks, do a complete tune up, replace all the fluids, belts, hoses, rebuild the knuckles and brakes. These are the "mods" you should do the first year of ownership while you get to know your truck. Trust me on this. Only after it is in tip-top shape do you want to lift and run bigger tires and all the gearing choices that entails. You just bought a 30 year old truck. So no matter how good it is, it is a 30 year old truck. Bring ALL the maintenance up to date.

FJ60s are 3.73

:crybaby: Noooooo.......If I have a pet peeve on ih8mud it is the "3.73". That, is a Dana ratio. These are Land Cruisers. The FJ60s ring gear has 37 teeth. The pinion has 10 teeth. So the gearing is 3.70. Spike knows that. ;)

@Ben baumann What's your budget? In the end, that is the most important question. Do you have mechanical experience?

Start a thread in this section with pics of your truck and what you're starting with. Pics of the whole truck, interior and engine would be helpful with regards to making recommendations.

And--I might have a used OME 2.5 inch lift I'd part with cheeeaaap to get you started. 2.5 inch is enough to physically fit 33 inch tires.

Drew has the right approach, base line it, drive it a bit and see what you have. You really need to know how it "feels" when it is right before you go making wholesale changes. They are a wonderful platform to build on, just know your foundation before you start.

Hey Ben, looks like no more advice forthcoming until there's evidence you've read what has already been given.

That, and post some photos. On second thought, I will give you some motor advice-Keep the 3FE.

I have been looking at getting a LC for some time now and have found myself with two potential options:

Option 1: 1985 BJ60 - $10,000
- 4 cylinder diesel
- 415,000 KM
- Old man Emu 3 inch suspension lift
- BF Goodrich 31 inch k02 winter rated all terrain tires
- Has some minor body and frame rust and will probably need some frame welding soon

Option 2: 1988 FJ62 - $7,000
- 6 cylinder 3F EFI engine (gas)
- 315,000 KM
- Pretty much stock (tires, suspension, etc.)
- Minor rust spots have been touched up
- May have a minor exhaust leak

I'm not overly concern between the 60/62 debate as much as I am about the diesel versus gas. I've read time and time again about the longevity of the diesel engines but you pay for it in parts (which you also can save in fuel). It will be my daily driver and I'm hoping to keep it for a long time.

I haven't had a chance to drive either yet but any thoughts/advice/opinions/insight is much appreciated!

I have been looking at getting a LC for some time now and have found myself with two potential options:

Option 1: 1985 BJ60 - $10,000
- 4 cylinder diesel
- 415,000 KM
- Old man Emu 3 inch suspension lift
- BF Goodrich 31 inch k02 winter rated all terrain tires
- Has some minor body and frame rust and will probably need some frame welding soon

Option 2: 1988 FJ62 - $7,000
- 6 cylinder 3F EFI engine (gas)
- 315,000 KM
- Pretty much stock (tires, suspension, etc.)
- Minor rust spots have been touched up
- May have a minor exhaust leak

I'm not overly concern between the 60/62 debate as much as I am about the diesel versus gas. I've read time and time again about the longevity of the diesel engines but you pay for it in parts (which you also can save in fuel). It will be my daily driver and I'm hoping to keep it for a long time.

I haven't had a chance to drive either yet but any thoughts/advice/opinions/insight is much appreciated!

Depends on the relative condition of
the vehicles after a personal assessment. Frame rust requiring welding sounds a bit problematic.
I’ve owned FJ62 for 17 years and also had BJ70 for 3 years. Both engines have been quite impressive, especially 3FE. Downsides are bad MPG and auto tranny. That said, I think you will find FJ62 a much more comfortable, quiet and generally road friendly ride than the BJ60. HP difference is significant. 3B just not enough guts for a wagon IMO.

Depends on the relative condition of
the vehicles after a personal assessment. Frame rust requiring welding sounds a bit problematic.
I’ve owned FJ62 for 17 years and also had BJ70 for 3 years. Both engines have been quite impressive, especially 3FE. Downsides are bad MPG and auto tranny. That said, I think you will find FJ62 a much more comfortable, quiet and generally road friendly ride than the BJ60. HP difference is significant. 3B just not enough guts for a wagon IMO.

Appreciate the insight 89HASHOG! Both vehicles are a few hours away from where so I haven't had the opportunity to inspect either yet. Do any specific questions/ places to inspect come to mind when looking at 60/62's? These have been the general questions so far:
  • Has it passed local emissions testing?
  • When was the last time the steering knuckles were rebuilt?
  • Does the smog system work? Has it been tampered with or modified?
  • When was the last time the valves were adjusted?
  • When was the last time the A/C compressor, power steering pump, smog pump, master cylinder, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and wires, brake pads, and brake rotors and drums were replaced?
  • When was the last time each fluid was replaced?
Again, any input is much appreciated. Thank you!

Appreciate the insight 89HASHOG! Both vehicles are a few hours away from where so I haven't had the opportunity to inspect either yet. Do any specific questions/ places to inspect come to mind when looking at 60/62's? These have been the general questions so far:
  • Has it passed local emissions testing?
  • When was the last time the steering knuckles were rebuilt?
  • Does the smog system work? Has it been tampered with or modified?
  • When was the last time the valves were adjusted?
  • When was the last time the A/C compressor, power steering pump, smog pump, master cylinder, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and wires, brake pads, and brake rotors and drums were replaced?
  • When was the last time each fluid was replaced?
Again, any input is much appreciated. Thank you!

Obviously your state requires a smog test. Mine does not.
Condition of auto tranny is important issue, so any work related is noteworthy. Auxiliary cooler for it is a good idea.
Fuel pump bracket is no longer available new, so confirm it’s in good condition, ask if fuel pump has ever been replaced.
Charging system-ask if any shorts/phantom loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom