FJ60 gauge cluster removal with dash cap. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody had luck removing the cluster with a cap installed? Leary of forcing either one. Need some bulbs replaced and hope there is a method before I jump into it. Wanted to also clean the cluster also if I can get it out.
Thanks!

Just unscrew the black screws around the edges of the cluster and look up and under and get those, pull it out a little and reach back in there and unplug the wiring harnesses from the back of the cluster. Start at the drivers side and work toward the passenger side. You will also need to unplug the speedo cable ususally done last. Most of these plugs have tabs on the side(s) or bottom you have to push in with your thumb while you unplug. As I recall the speedo also has a release clip or ring of some sort. So it just clicks in but need to use your thumb to activate the clip/ring to release. don't force anything. Once removed the light housings are a simple 1/4 turn and pull out.

Cut a 2-liter plastic bottle into strips and slide them between the two. When enough of the cap edge is ramped, the bezel should squeeze out. Bezel is slightly pyramid shaped so any amount of drop will help.

Yeah, it’s a cap from cruiser corps. I’ll try the bottle strips. Looks tight. Out of town. Won’t be able to send pics now.
yes, it’s a lip that’s just over the cluster.

5 screws and it should come out. Speedo cable will keep it in tight. Come up from below and push the speedo cable up a bit to give yourself some slack. Gotta slip your fingers in to get to the plugs, as they are unplugged the cluster becomes a bit more slack.

I want to know the same info. Can you reply back how you get it out. If the soda bottle trick works.
Thanks in advance!

I’ve done it a few times, just got to be gentle. I would be nervous on an older cap that may be brittle...take it slow. Soda bottle trick sound handy, I some plastic pry tools that come in handy.

I usually pull the steering wheel for more working room. Unscrew the few screws holding the gauge cluster and pull it out beginning at the bottom. Speedo cable makes it tight but ease out the cluster and reach in unclip the cable and pull the cluster further out and disengage the wiring plugs. On a FJ60 if (when) the speedo cable needs replacing use one from an 62, which is longer. The extra length helps with pulling out the gauge cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom