Alternator wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I picked up the appropriate plug for my alternator from @Coolerman and have a yellow and black/yellow wire now.

But, no idea what wires they connect to on the 74 harness. Diagram says W, WG, WB but no wires like that near PS fender.

By the igniter I have a BY and a B wire. ??

By the charcoal canister I have a B wire with female bullet connector, a BY with wide Y stripe spade female, and a BY with a thin Y stripe and male bullet connector.

Any idea?

Last edited:
My '74 has a 1F (1.5?) and the alternator is on the drivers side.

"W" (WL below) is the heavier gauge white white going back to through the amp meter to the battery, and should attach to the alternator with a ring terminal on one of the studs (should be marked for battery).

The rest all go to the regulator, which should be on the driver's side firewall under the brakes / clutch / steering.
1698693133837.png

My '74 has a 1F (1.5?) and the alternator is on the drivers side.

"W" (WL below) is the heavier gauge white white going back to through the amp meter to the battery, and should attach to the alternator with a ring terminal on one of the studs (should be marked for battery).

The rest all go to the regulator, which should be on the driver's side firewall under the brakes / clutch / steering.
View attachment 3468721

This is why I suggested photos, your car alternator on the drivers side but OP pointing to the passenger side of the vehicle.

Photos of what you are working with always seem to help.
So, I failed to say, the 2F is out of an 60 Series. Alternator is on PS. So, perhaps the wires I'm looking for are in the DS?

IMG_6911.jpeg
IMG_6912.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_6925.jpeg
IMG_6926.jpeg
And, these are probably the 3 wires I need from DS.

So which 2 go to alternator to my Y and BY wires?

View attachment 3469094View attachment 3469095And, these are probably the 3 wires I need from DS.

So which 2 go to alternator to my Y and BY wires?
That looks a lot like it. Although mine had been previously been burned up and spliced back in with no plug. That is for sure where they fork out of on my harness, at least...

The White / Light blue wire should have voltage from the battery if it's connected. The other two you should be able to trace with continuity /resistance (ohms) between there and the regulator, I forget how to test which is which or even what they are there for.

I do have 12 V+ on the thick wire. I'm just not sure how the other two wires connect to the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom