Fj60/62 Rear cargo panels (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to get to a shop and get the shoulder belt versions printed so I can lay em out on my wood I'm using. I'll be doing a lot more customisation but having pre-made templates for the panel shape will save a ton of time.
If there is a CNC equipped cabinet shop in your area, they should be able to take the DXF and run the file on piece of scrap MDF or something to give you a hard template to work from. I would expect this to take less than an hour plus the material. Might be an option.

Here are my files. Use at your own peril, but they worked well for my '84. I also show on the files where to cut the panels if you're using the 62 series rear 3-point seatbelts and factory trim cover, which is what I'm doing on my '84. I think I added a fastener in the trimmed version, so you might need to drill a hole in your inside steel for this (or delete that fastener).

Again, these files are for early trucks that do not have jack and tools stored in the side of the cargo area.

There are 2 versions, one with geometry to match the factory fasteners, and another with that geometry replaced with 3mm holes at the centre of the factory fasteners, so you can modify and use whatever fastener you prefer.

If you use these files and create new panels for your rig, please tag me so I can see what you did. It's always good to see different ideas on how to replace the tired, factory side panels. And if you find something that doesn't work with the files post up here. I'm happy to change them if something is amiss. Though as mentioned, they fit my '84 perfectly.

EDIT: May 5/23: updated to combine all versions into one file.
Appreciate the files! Why is there this bump at the top?

Screenshot_20240326_174257_Samsung Notes.jpg

That little bump exists on my original panels. I copied them exactly, and that bump is there. It looks deliberate, but I'm not sure of the function. I also have a set of panels from another truck and same thing, the bump is there. If you don't want it, it should be easy to delete, or I can modify the file and send you a new one.

Anyone have pictures of panels they made using these files? Curious what people's final product looks like.

This is interesting. Kudos to folks doing DIY projects and so forth, but these panels are a much more complicated piece than they seem at first. Out of total transparency I make & sell ABS cargo & tailgate panels. I've spent a lot of time on the design work and finding quality fasteners, so when I sell them the buyer pops them in in about 15 minutes with no drilling or tools required. I've run into seven variations of the panel outline and the hole locations change almost year to year. Some are slight moves and some are a little bit more than slight. It would be very difficult to make a one-size-fits-all panel that applies across the 60 Series range. This is a nice gesture to offer up a file, but it may end up being a lot of work on the back end. But hey, all the stuff I make started as my own DIY projects so I completely understand. There's something satisfying about seeing the fruits of your labor, whether or not you end up saving money.

The small indentation above the washer fluid cover is likely only in the fiberboard backing, with the upholstery sewn on in a straight line above it. I have never seen an 81-90 cargo panel where the upholstery isn't a straight line right there. I would guess it's a fixturing thing, where the indentation aids in the manufacturing somehow but wasn't intended to be a part of the finished part - hence having the vinyl go across in a straight line.

Anyway, carry on. Just stopped by to check out that curious little indentation thing!

That little bump exists on my original panels. I copied them exactly, and that bump is there. It looks deliberate, but I'm not sure of the function. I also have a set of panels from another truck and same thing, the bump is there. If you don't want it, it should be easy to delete, or I can modify the file and send you a new one.
I had it removed by a shop. Also the original passenger panel is different. Is there a file for it or did I miss it?

This is interesting. Kudos to folks doing DIY projects and so forth, but these panels are a much more complicated piece than they seem at first. Out of total transparency I make & sell ABS cargo & tailgate panels. I've spent a lot of time on the design work and finding quality fasteners, so when I sell them the buyer pops them in in about 15 minutes with no drilling or tools required. I've run into seven variations of the panel outline and the hole locations change almost year to year. Some are slight moves and some are a little bit more than slight. It would be very difficult to make a one-size-fits-all panel that applies across the 60 Series range. This is a nice gesture to offer up a file, but it may end up being a lot of work on the back end. But hey, all the stuff I make started as my own DIY projects so I completely understand. There's something satisfying about seeing the fruits of your labor, whether or not you end up saving money.

The small indentation above the washer fluid cover is likely only in the fiberboard backing, with the upholstery sewn on in a straight line above it. I have never seen an 81-90 cargo panel where the upholstery isn't a straight line right there. I would guess it's a fixturing thing, where the indentation aids in the manufacturing somehow but wasn't intended to be a part of the finished part - hence having the vinyl go across in a straight line.

Anyway, carry on. Just stopped by to check out that curious little indentation thing!
Definitely use at your own peril. One could always run a test piece on scrap to see how things fit. But the intention here is a really good starting point. I only have my truck as reference, and they fit for me. But on your truck, I don't know....

I had it removed by a shop. Also the original passenger panel is different. Is there a file for it or did I miss it?
The file has a left side panel, right side panel, and a tailgate panel. Plus a side panels that have been cut if you were to use a 62 rear seat belt finish panel. With 2 versions for fasteners.

If you don't find what you need you can modify them.

Definitely use at your own peril. One could always run a test piece on scrap to see how things fit. But the intention here is a really good starting point. I only have my truck as reference, and they fit for me. But on your truck, I don't know....
Pretty much how I set out making my own first pair too. “These don’t exist so I guess I’ll make them.” Then other people wanted me to make theirs, but I’d run into “this doesn’t fit quite right.” With the curse of the perfectionist I ended up dialing in all the variations I found pretty perfectly. I think I’m at 7 so far, with at least one non-US variation. All the year-to-year changes drove me crazy for a while until I was able to pin them down.

Hence they’re for sale now. Lots of time and effort went into that. But it’s also a nice way for somebody to hit the easy button and know the panels are going to fit. No guesswork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom