FJ60 $35 LED Dash Light Upgrade - Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SuperBrightLED sourced.
Arrived quickly.
HVAC bulb is not a green LED...instead one of their brighter bulbs for this application...BRIGHT! (never worked before...missing)

#fj60LEDdashlights.jpg
#fj60LEDdashlights.jpg

can you dim them with the dimmer?

Yep. I've got them rolled all the way dim and they're still pretty bright. When turned up (bright)...they're really bright! I don't mind that one bit but some people might prefer the analog feel of the old dim bulbs...I had a hard time seeing the gauges @ night even with the dimmer turned all the way up (bright)...Not anymore!

simply remove old incandescents and install LEDs? interesting...

How many bulbs of each type did it require?

simply remove old incandescents and install LEDs? interesting...
Yep...simple.

How many bulbs of each type did it require?
4 of the green LED's for the gauge cluster + one more for the HVAC. I saw on another post where guys were swapping out their turn signal bulbs, choke light bulb, high-beam indicators, etc...I wasn't going that route. I just wanted my gauges to be visible @ night.

Did you remove the metal shade behind the hvac bulb?

Also, do you have a part # and where you picked up the dash cluster bulbs? I like the green glow it has.

Did not remove the metal shade. Part numbers below...
SuperBrightLEDs.jpg

I noticed a huge improvement over the old bulbs when I replaced mine, though I went a slightly different route after trying some different options from LED to standard bulbs.

This is what ultimately I found worked very well -

(3) ea 194 bulb type
(3) ea green sleeves
(1) WLED - CW5 194 LED BULB for RPM TACH
3110 W10 CB - HVAC control light

This thread was a huge help in determining viable options -
I ended up going this path in the long run due to the clarity and consistency of the light emitted plus I was a huge fan of the white lit tach gauge for ease of viewing and also kept it looking near original vintage - LED light swap (lots of pics! dial-up=bad)

LED light swap (lots of pics! dial-up=bad)

I did this and then went back to the standard incandescent bulbs. Just didnt like the tone of the light and really, even at their dimmest, they were still too bright I thought. A good set of incandescents will work just fine and throw a more even light.

@gregnash which bulbs did you go with? Have some dash work to do and was going to replace bulbs, but did not want LED. Also, do I need to remove the heater control panel to replace the HVAC bulb? Doing both the 60 and 62. Sourced some NOS plastic without broken tabs!

Marc

@gregnash which bulbs did you go with? Have some dash work to do and was going to replace bulbs, but did not want LED. Also, do I need to remove the heater control panel to replace the HVAC bulb? Doing both the 60 and 62. Sourced some NOS plastic without broken tabs!

Marc
Went with whatever is considered the standard bulb for these (think its like a 94 bulb or something like that) just found a 8 pack from amazon that had the green condoms on them already and they have been flawless. For the HVAC bulb I believe you have to remove the gray switch surround and then pull the little cover plate. @Spike Strip had a write-up on it I think with the correct bulb for that one (or was that the AC bulb).

Went with whatever is considered the standard bulb for these (think its like a 94 bulb or something like that) just found a 8 pack from amazon that had the green condoms on them already and they have been flawless. For the HVAC bulb I believe you have to remove the gray switch surround and then pull the little cover plate. @Spike Strip had a write-up on it I think with the correct bulb for that one (or was that the AC bulb).

Marc

Try this -

(3) ea 194 incandescent bulb type
(3) ea green sleeves
(1) WLED - CW5 194 LED BULB for TACH or use standard 194 incandescent in white + bulb sleeve color choice.
3110 W10 CB - HVAC control light

No need to remove the whole HVAC surround trim to change the HVAC bulb.

Just squeeze the top and bottom center of the rectangular black cover over the bulb and it pops right off!

So I bought a bunch of LED lights to replace in my dash. After reading a ton on here about the different dash and cluster lights and such I went and bought a few lights from super bright led(which we use for tons of stuff at work). I bought the gage lights which have not gone in yet and the shifter and HVAC light.
So I put the HVAC light 3110-W10-CB and it really didnt fit in the slot well at all. The ends are too wide for the metal clip/connection. It did light up and fit ultimately, even dimmed. Popped the cover back on and drove the 7 minutes home from work. Popped the cover off just to take a peek when I got home and it was almost melting inside. The bulb got so hot it burned my fingers to a blister. The bulb has a freaking heat sink on the back, so I thought that was not a good sign when I put it in. So be careful with these led bulbs and make sure you dont put one in thats gonna start a fire.
This bulb is a no go for me. Back to the incandescent in there.

Those are speed hut gauges, water temp and oil pressure. I just went at it with a hole saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom