FJ60 2lo with stock transfer case EASY mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok well i decided to finally pull my transmission outta my truck yesterday and remembered reading something about 2lo on a stock transfer case... so before i worked on taking out my tranny i decided to make the 2 lo work.
This is an EASY mod and can be done in about an hour and a half if your drinking and being lazy (I was:beer: it can probably be done in under an hour if your arnt looking for stuff and your skid plate comes off without giving issues.) that includes disassemble and re assemble.

here is what you start with
CIMG1085.jpg

ok first get the shifter boot outta the way by removing the 4 10mm bolts holding it down.
CIMG1086.jpg

CIMG1087.jpg

CIMG1088.jpg

next pull the boot back and outta the way. or you can unscrew the shift knob and take it all the way off turn the shift knob CCW (as if you didnt already know) and the boot then slides right off.

ok next there are 2 bolts that need to be removed to get the bracket out and off of the transmission.
one right up on top. is a 12mm.
CIMG1089.jpg

CIMG1090.jpg

and another under the truck (i had my skidplate off makes it SOOOO much easier but can be done with it on)
this was also a 12mm bolt head. (both were the same size)
CIMG1091.jpg

ok now you have your bracket that has a little tab on it on the upper left side. (sorry i had already cut mine when i decided to make a tech outta it) but here ya go anyway

CIMG1092.jpg

CIMG1093.jpg

now you dont have to cut the bracket you can actually just remove it but it adds some structural support for the "rod" that the shifter rides on, so i cut mine so i could re-install it.

here is a after shot of the piece
CIMG1094.jpg

ok now your done and can now go from 2wd HI to 2wd LO by moving shifter to right

you can also go from 4wd LO to 2wd LO by simply pushing shifter straight up.

told ya easy huh?:cheers:

EDIT: Thought id add 1 more picture as it shows what the linckage looks like before cut.
TcaseLinkage0002.jpg

Last edited:
just removed mine LOVE it great to use when you have a front locker but want to turn in low range

just thought id bump this so maybe someone who may have been considering it will be more inclined with the warmer weather here.

can this be done to fj62 as well? hmmmmm

if you could somehow keep it from shifting into 4wd when you put the lever in lo range then yes...

on the 62 weather the button is pushed or not when you shift into lo range it engauges 4wd. if you could make it so it only engauges when you puch the button then yes you could also have 2 lo as it is the same split case only with an actuator on it as opposed to a manual linkage.

if you could somehow keep it from shifting into 4wd when you put the lever in lo range then yes...

on the 62 weather the button is pushed or not when you shift into lo range it engauges 4wd. if you could make it so it only engauges when you puch the button then yes you could also have 2 lo as it is the same split case only with an actuator on it as opposed to a manual linkage.

All you have to do is unplug the low range sending unit. It controls the vacuum actuators. when you unplug the sender you can put it into low range and the truck does not know it. Therefore 2low

cam

All you have to do is unplug the low range sending unit. It controls the vacuum actuators. when you unplug the sender you can put it into low range and the truck does not know it. Therefore 2low

cam

think you could post a picture of where it located? for myself and others.
I have a buddy with a 62 wanting to do this. I figured it should be easy but didnt know what to undo.

Sweet mod! Does it work well and is there any angle that it needs to be cut at?

Yes works GREAT i use it quite often.

post 1, last picture. cut at that angle and you will be as good as gold.:cheers:

I also just took the bracket off. It works fine and has for years.
Is there a reason one should cut and replace the metal bracket.
I also did the same when I had an FJ40.

John.

it acts as a spacer on there that helps keep everything inline and shifting smoothly and corectly.

over time with no spacer could possibly cause damage.

also with the bracket still in place it adds structural support to the pin that the lever arm its on

over time the as the pin ages and as you shift back and forth it can eventually begin to bend making it very hard and possibly impossibly to go from hi and low range

hmm that's interesting. What about just locking up the rear? It wouldn't be a low range though.

hmm that's interesting. What about just locking up the rear? It wouldn't be a low range though.

U mean with a locker?...

Im locked front and rear and like i said before i use 2lo more than 4wd and with being locked out back i am able to use it even more.

the point of mod is to have lo range with out it driving the front wheels for those of us locked up front with auto lockers (like me) or for those that would rather try the line in 2wd first (me again) and on alot of the lines i take and stuff i hit high range just isnt low enough to actually get up and over something safely and smoothly. even with gears.

and like in the case of the lockers wen we need to turn sharp and we are driving the lockers will lock down and make the fronts drag causing it to be harder to steer and also for it to be harder to make a tighter turn.

thanks for the explanation cruisin, it makes absolute sense to have 2wd lo.

no problem

just a quick question because i dont know if anyones done this before on a 78 series but my levers and bracket look very much the same as those pics

my 78 series (1hz) has a R151f box (dont know what the transfers called) but the high low lever looks the same

so can i do the 2wd mod

29062009_001_.jpg

Same deal, Different approach

Here is a photo of my 2LO mod. Put in vise, one cut with sawzall (red marked area), one pull with vice grips. Works great!
2LO Shift Mod.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom