FJ60 2lo with stock transfer case EASY mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just a quick question because i dont know if anyones done this before on a 78 series but my levers and bracket look very much the same as those pics

my 78 series (1hz) has a R151f box (dont know what the transfers called) but the high low lever looks the same

so can i do the 2wd mod

29062009_001_.jpg

Looks to me that yes you can

What are the odds that wear could allow a std split case linkage to do this?

My seaming fairly unmolested '84 has 2Lo. I say unmolested because there is little evidence of this truck having seen rocks. Dirt roads and possibly some trails, but no rock scars on anything underneath.

I bet you the bracket/shift gate is missing. When the clutch was done I bet the Mech. had leftover parts.

Dynosoar:zilla:

I bet you the bracket/shift gate is missing. When the clutch was done I bet the Mech. had leftover parts.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Either that or someone pushed on the shift lever hard enough to bend the bracket.

Either way it sure is fun rowing that shifter in a square.

if you could somehow keep it from shifting into 4wd when you put the lever in lo range then yes...

on the 62 weather the button is pushed or not when you shift into lo range it engauges 4wd. if you could make it so it only engauges when you puch the button then yes you could also have 2 lo as it is the same split case only with an actuator on it as opposed to a manual linkage.

Did disconnecting the switch work on your 62 mate? I have a 60 that uses the same system and if it's as simple as disconnecting the switch then it will be the first thing I do tomorrow.

looks like this will also work on late model 40 series as well for those of you that own them.

I need to get under the BJ42 i just picked up to make sure but from a quick glance it appears to have a split case that is the same as my 60.

The BJ42 has the same split t-case as the FJ60. The gears are probably slightly different. Did the BJ42 come with the h55 or h41? If so, then I think the gears in the split case are 1.99. Otherwise with the the h42, the gears are probably 2.28. (Did the BJ42 come with the h42? I don't know about that.) The 2.32 gears weren't made until after the BJ42 was stopped being produced.

Last edited:
I also just took the bracket off. It works fine and has for years.
Is there a reason one should cut and replace the metal bracket.
I also did the same when I had an FJ40.

John.

I'm thinkin of putting one back on ... mine gets stuck in 2 low sometimes but I will cut it cause 2 low is a big help

The BJ42 has the same split t-case as the FJ60. The gears are probably slightly different. Did the BJ42 come with the h55 or h41? If so, then I think the gears in the split case are 1.99. Otherwise with the the h42, the gears are probably 2.28. (Did the BJ42 come with the h42? I don't know about that.) The 2.32 gears weren't made until after the BJ42 was stopped being produced.

Its a canadian import so i was thinking it to be the H42 4 speed (i wish it was the H55 5 speed) as the 1st gear doesnt seem to be any lower than my 60 is. and i would also asume it has the 2.28:1 low range transfer case gears.

This thread is still silent for fj62s. Does it work to just unplug the switch that gets engaged when the shifter is moved to 4WD low so that you are now in 2WD low, and then push the 4WD button to go into 4WD low? If so, does 4WD High work like normal? If this is the case, where is the best place to unplug it?

In looking at the schematic, it looks like disconnecting the the switch called "Front Drive Drive Position S/W" would accomplish this.

Last edited:
This thread is still silent for fj62s. Does it work to just unplug the switch that gets engaged when the shifter is moved to 4WD low so that you are now in 2WD low, and then push the 4WD button to go into 4WD low? If so, does 4WD High work like normal? If this is the case, where is the best place to unplug it?

In looking at the schematic, it looks like disconnecting the the switch called "Front Drive Drive Position S/W" would accomplish this.

Try it and let us know!

or better yet tell me where the switch is so i can find it on my buddies 62 and we will try it!

OK, I went out and figured this out on my fj62. Here is just one more reason an fj62 is superior to an fj60. :D It is so simple, I don't even need a photo. On the passenger side (US Spec) of the transfer case towards the back and the top are three wires. One wire comes out of the transfer case by itself. You are going to leave this wire alone. The other two wires come out together and go to one connector about 18 inches up the wires. You can either disconnect this connector, or if you don't want to leave the connections hanging to get corroded over time, you can simply cut one of the two wires a few inches from where they go into the transfer case and fold one end you cut over about an inch and tape over it, (don't cut the single wire coming out). You will be disconnecting the switch that detects you moving the transfer case shift selector into 4 wheel drive low. Now, with the wires disconnected or cut, the transfer case will not detect you have shifted into 4 low, and will not engage the front axle. So there you go. 2 lo mod for the fj62. You now select 4 lo just like you select 4 hi with the push of a button.

Last edited:
I just did this mod. for my 62, Super easy. Thanks guys

One of the previous owners had done the 2 low mod to my 60 and ever since I have owned the transfercase as leaked like mad. Yesterday I had an extra set of hands and wanted to find the leak, it turns comig from the shaft that linkage conects to. The problem is that when I shift into 2low and then shift out it pulls the seal out with it. I am wondering if any one else has had this problem and if so how hard is it to repalce the seal on this shaft with out droping the transfercase.

this from another thread found HERE but one of my reasons for leaving the bracket on the linkage to help reduce fatigue and any potential failures. this is likely a rare incident but still something none the less.

Did this mod on mine when I rebuilt the front end and installed new clutch. Easy and very effective mod! Great on steep hills saves the clutch when you don't really need 4 WD. Keep the bracket though, supports the linkage on the tranny. What's puzzled me for awhile now is who even thought of this? I think this is a mod that was available when Toyoda was designing the FJ series for military use and decided to leave it out in civilian use vehicles, can't prove it but just a thought. If anyone knows would luv to hear about it.

i did mine a few months ago , but i still havent installed the 62 diffs and aussie lockers front and rear yet, but i did go wheeling at durhamtown coulple of weeks ago and my buddy's knee kept hitting the selector to 2-lo causing me to get stuck and not realizing i was in 2-lo instead of 4-lo, which we would figure out after we hooked up the winch and didnt see the fronts spinning, only draw back so far but no biggy, just have to smack the crap out of the co pilot everytime it happens now.
:doh:

Total Newbie Question

I have heard about the mod over and over on the forum ..... BUT I honestly have no idea what it really means.

I have a generally bone stock FJ60 ... What does this mod do for me ?? I simple language please !!

Thanks,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom