FJ60 1986 question re carb and EFI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been on the 200 forum since 2009 (have had several different 200s, long story), owned a FJ40 briefly, and now have recently acquired an FJ60. I know nothing about engines. It needs a carb rebuild. I live in SC. I have a local mechanic that can help me if I need to ship it somewhere. Do you have a recommendation on this?

I have also been looking at adding EFI (primarily for the other drivers of the vehicle in my house so they don't have to mess with the carb). I looked at Affordable Fuel Injection and had no idea how to answer the questions it asks (one bbl v too bbl intake, whether I have a points ignition system or electronic distributor). I briefly looked at Holley Sniper also. Just would appreciate some insight.

I realize that on these forums the same questions get asked. I swear I spent quite a while googling things and reading things this forum so please help me instead of blowing me up for posting probably common questions! Thank you very much!

Nobody needs to know anything about a carburetor if it’s functioning correctly. The ‘fear’ of carburetors is unwarranted. I drove cars with carbureted engines for over 45 years and I didn’t know anything about them really. Didn’t need to. Turn the key, engine starts, drive away.

If a carburetor starts acting up after 20 years, (bogging acceleration) just swap in a spare and send the tired unit to a shop that rebuilds them. They’re easy to remove and install.

I wouldn’t install a Sniper EFI unit on a 60. When the carburetor is functioning properly, it starts instantly in any weather and runs perfectly for decades. You won’t see better MPG or power with EFI.

If I were going to put EFI on the 60 it would be the Sniper 2300 which is a 2 barrel design. EFI will make starting easier regardless of outside temperature or altitude or engine temp. You will likely feel the engine performs a little better but it’s not going to up your hours or torque numbers at all and fuel mpg will not improve and will likely be slightly worse.

That said…like OSS points out…if the carb is rebuilt and tuned properly the truck will be fine.

Lastly both of these systems need the timing set properly, the valves adjusted to spec, all the vacuum lines in good order, the EGR and air pump systems working properly and the intake and exhaust manifolds to be sealed properly.

Don’t put the EFI on the engine unless you understand carbs well. Also, the engine needs to be very healthy or you will have a nightmare on your hands. Ask me how I know. Just keep the carb and drive it.

Thank you so much. Who rebuilds the carbs?

sent mine to Jim C at TLC performance, did a wonderful job.

Really, the two rebuilders who are considered Land Cruiser carb gurus are Jim C. In Lancaster OH

TLCperformance.com

And Mark Algazy in Burbank, CA

I’ve read most of the Sniper (Efi) threads. The threads are long as far as tuning is concerned and there are failures of components which cause rough/no running situations . I’ve never had a carb fail on any of my vehicles, some which are almost 40 years older than my 60. The last thing I want is for my 60 not to start/run when I’m far out in the woods (often) . I’ll stick with the carb.

I have been on the 200 forum since 2009 (have had several different 200s, long story), owned a FJ40 briefly, and now have recently acquired an FJ60. I know nothing about engines. It needs a carb rebuild. I live in SC. I have a local mechanic that can help me if I need to ship it somewhere. Do you have a recommendation on this?

I have also been looking at adding EFI (primarily for the other drivers of the vehicle in my house so they don't have to mess with the carb). I looked at Affordable Fuel Injection and had no idea how to answer the questions it asks (one bbl v too bbl intake, whether I have a points ignition system or electronic distributor). I briefly looked at Holley Sniper also. Just would appreciate some insight.

I realize that on these forums the same questions get asked. I swear I spent quite a while googling things and reading things this forum so please help me instead of blowing me up for posting probably common questions! Thank you very much!
A proper desmog and a proper rebuilt carb Aisin (tell the rebuilder you are desmogged) and you'll have no problems.

Make sure the gas tank isn't rusty inside and that the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm is not leaking.

I’ve read most of the Sniper (Efi) threads. The threads are long as far as tuning is concerned and there are failures of components which cause rough/no running situations . I’ve never had a carb fail on any of my vehicles, some which are almost 40 years older than my 60. The last thing I want is for my 60 not to start/run when I’m far out in the woods (often) . I’ll stick with the carb.
This is why I think I’m gonna go back to the carb…

Reach out to Jim C — by phone. Will take a month or more to have it rebuilt, but it will come back tested and perfect, with a list of all the things that were wrong with it.

Also realize that the carb often gets the blame when other components are the culprit. How do you know it's the carb? Faulty ignition systems, bad plug wires, clogged fuel filter, leaking and failing fuel pump or fuel line, bad gas, dirty gas, water in the fuel, trash in the fuel all lead to starting and running issues.

A bad connection at the ICS plug could will cause hard starts, back firing, and hesitations. A faulty EGR valve or EGR modulator will cause hard starts, and hesitation at certain rpm ranges but go away while accelerating.

Is it possible to simply buy a carb rather than wait a month? I also don't really know what desmog is. I live in SC.

At this point, everyone with an FJ60 should own two original Toyota carburetors. One on the vehicle and the spare rebuilt one, ready to go, kept in a plastic bag on a shelf.

Start shopping around for a 2nd Toyota carburetor. Either already rebuilt or in need of a rebuild. New ones are no longer available.
Guys here have installed new weber carburetors. There’s 2 camps on this forum- those who say they like it, and those who say don’t use it - or if it’s already on the engine, replace it with the Toyota unit.

@TRAIL TAILOR

Has some rebuilds (Mark A or Jim C.) on the shelf, but not sure if still in stock.

MHO on the Weber kit is it's just to sell something. You're far better off with a carb designed for the 2F, particularly if you get a performance rebuild and dissy recurve, if you can desmog the engine.

I just went through this. I thought I needed a carb. I was certain and was ready to purchase one but my mechanic who was a toyota tech for 25 plus years said to bring it in. It turns out I did not need a carb but I was not getting power to a solenoid. He diagnosed it fairly quickly and it idles like new.
Verify everything is working before ordering one and if not, trail tailor had one on the shelf recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom