FJ55 V8 Conversion Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me preface this post by saying that I am a newbie to doing this type of conversion so please bear with any dumb questions I may ask. With that said...

I am looking to put a SBC in a 1970 FJ55. The truck had a 350 in it previously which was removed for body restoration so I don't need to worry about motor mounts. The rig will be my daily driver and I am not planning on wheeling it. I also want a setup that is easy to drive for my wife. The truck comes with the original 3 spd tranny and transfer case. I am leaning towards a newer TBI 350 from a 1988-1992 chevy pickup, suburban, van, etc. My questions are:

1) Is there any problem with trying to pull the whole setup out of a wrecked parts rig if can find one? Anything special I need to look for?

2) What should I do about a transfer case? I think this setup generally came with a NP208, chain driven case. I don't really care that it is chain driven since I am not wheeling it, but is this a center output? I would rather not have to swap out my rear axle/differential. What are my other Tcase options.

3) Is this a good setup in general? Should I be thinking about the older TH350 or TH400 tranny? I see a lot of them for sale cheap.

4) What are the other important items I am not thinking about?

At this point I am really just trying to get a game plan together and start looking for parts. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move forward. Thanks for the help.

V8 Pig

Send me an Email, I have a 74' FJ55 with a 350/TH350 mated to Toyota 3Spd transfer case. I have pics of the adapters and of how it sits together. I can help you with other drivetrain questions too. I wouldnt change the tcase, just get an adapter for the TH350/400 to mate to it. Hodag

overdrive trans if you are buying new adaptor.I wish i had more top end.I run a 350, th350,78 tcase, 3.7diffs in a 72.

I would without a doubt find a later EFI motor and OD auto... I had a carb'ed 350 and TH350 auto in a 76 FJ55, and while it was nice, EFI and the extra gear would have been great for highway driving...

You probably should extend the tranny tunnel otherwise the t-case will have pretty low in the rear and this makes for less than desireable non parallel angles for the driveshaft mating surfaces...

As for the t-case, mate it to a later 4 speed case if youre not wheeling it, they are noticeably quiter in my experience. you'll have to use AA parts for that.

I'm a bit confused on the Transfer Case thing (again, I'm a newbie). What is a 3spd TCase versus a 4spd TCase? What year did they switch? Is this the best TCase option for mating to a 700R4? What are the other options? Since the rear differential on the LC is off to the right side, I need to use a specific TCase correct?

Now let me see if I have this right... I find a TBI 350 attached to 700R4 out of a parts truck. I get an adapter from Advance adapters to adapt the 700R4 to the 3 or 4spd Toyota TCase. I then measure and get new drvelines made. Is this right?

THANKS A MILLION!

Heres a simple head on pic. I'll take some more and send them on your way.
engine2.jpg

If you do the TBI swap- make sure you get the engine, wire harness, tranny, and ECM from the same vehicle- makes everything easy to know it works together pertaining to the PROM and computer stuff- also helps to hear it run and know it all works before buying it. PM me with specific questions as I did this swap into my 73 J5- alos had a carb'ed 350 in it when I bought it. Good swap! :D

C.I.Pig said:
I'm a bit confused on the Transfer Case thing (again, I'm a newbie). What is a 3spd TCase versus a 4spd TCase? What year did they switch? Is this the best TCase option for mating to a 700R4? What are the other options? Since the rear differential on the LC is off to the right side, I need to use a specific TCase correct?

Now let me see if I have this right... I find a TBI 350 attached to 700R4 out of a parts truck. I get an adapter from Advance adapters to adapt the 700R4 to the 3 or 4spd Toyota TCase. I then measure and get new drvelines made. Is this right?

THANKS A MILLION!

All descriptions are for pre 7/'80 one piece casting t-cases...

a 4 speed Land cruiser transfercase is a t-case that was mated to a 4 speed tranny(it will have a 16 spline input gear). it still just has hi/lo and 2wd/4wd. just like the 3 speed cases(10 spline input gear), which were found behind 3 speed transmissions.

a 3 speed case has a gear ratio of 2.313:1 low and 1:1 hi range, and narrower gear, which typically make them a bit noisier.

there are two different one piece 4 speed t-cases. one came from 9/'73 to 4/'75 and has a 1.99:1 low and 1:1 hi. this is identifiable since it has wide low speed gear like the later 4 speed cases, but narrow hi speed gears like the earlier three speed cases.
the later 4 speed case(4/'75-7/'80) has a 1.96:1 lo and a 1:1 hi, and allthe gears are the wider style and therefore the case is quieter than either of the earlier styles.

Which transfer case with 700R4

Which transfer case would be better behind a 700R4? This will be a daily driver rig that will need to travel well on the highway. I think the extent of my 4WD will be snow and pulling my small boat up some unimproved launches. No hard core 4 wheeling. I understand the 3spd tcase is geared lower and the 4spd is quieter. Should I look for a 4spd or is the difference not enough to matter. Thanks for all the replies!

it's all abt cost and noise for you, esp if you're not goin to wheel it.

the 3spd case is typically more desirable in offroad situations due to the lower gearing, but if this is a dd rig, then a 4 spd is just as good (you will not be able to tell the difference between 1.96, 1.99, and 2.313 ratios).

the 4 spd is typically quieter, and also less brittle (again, not that big a deal if you're not wheelin it).

you can probably sell off the 3spd case to someone local (maybe even trade for a 4spd...) and then buy a 4spd case and stand to make a couple bucks.

check out the AA site (http://www.advanceadapters.com/tlc.html i think) and keep the questions comin, ha ha.
the guys on this board know their stuff, most definitely. i know that i would still be in trouble without the sound advice that several of these fellas have given me....

malphrus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom