FJ55 Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may be a dumb question but can i get some opinions about 55's offroad and on road. b/c of the long wheel base they seem like they would be fine on the highway but off road its seems like that big as hagning off the bcak would hurt. also are parts harder to find. they all have 4.10 gearing right.

FJ55 parts are VERY hard to find. If you get an FJ55 to restore get a parts one as well.

Body parts for 55's are pretty hard to find, but drivetrain parts are just as easy as 40 parts to find. My 55 is pretty stock height wise, has some 32" AT's, no lockers, but does relatively well off road. On road it is pretty good, mainly because of the 400 SBC.

78+ fj55's have 3.70 gears I believe. For the most part 55's follow the same changes as a fj40. PS and AC were both options on late model 55's, aftermarket(dealer installed) AC on earlier 55's. Hood changed in.....78 I think, its higher.

there are lots of parts 55's out there, heck from what I have seen most of em are better off as parts rigs than drivers.

IMOP(at least from what I have seen) 55's have more rot issues than 40's. I was told my rotted 55 was actaully pretty solid.....I beg to differ ;)

I LOVE 55's....and will keep looking for the right one.....meaning NO ROT......so I'll be looking for a while ;)

Landpimp,
Hood changed as early as '76 at least as the '76 has the newer, weaker hood. I think the change was to clear the 2F air cleaner. I'm hoping to use the older hood on our '76.
Where are you finding the '55 parts? I'm not too far from you so maybe I could find the parts I'm looking for where ever you find yours :cheers:

Ah......parts 55's, not parts for 55's ;)

Tuesday I had the parking atendent at a hospital ask if I wanted a72 fj55, it's in tacoma, it;s rusty, broken axle(and some other crap busted), just a huge mess it sounds like, he wants $300, he called this morning wanting me to come over and look at it.......

Freebie....at a burned down meth lab.....no title, ROT, no run, 2f of unknown condition. This one is gonna go to our new cruiser rest home ;)

at the 4x4 swap meet I got a pair of nice wing window 55 front doors for $10 for the pair........but I had to take the gas tank ;) oh came with a nice grill and headlight bezels.

The hood, for some reason I remembered it 78, but it makes sense it changed with the 2f.....which would mean 75?

John H

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=8156;start=msg69170#msg69170 date=1070143992]
Landpimp,
Hood changed as early as '76 at least as the '76 has the newer, weaker hood. I think the change was to clear the 2F air cleaner. I'm hoping to use the older hood on our '76.
Where are you finding the '55 parts? I'm not too far from you so maybe I could find the parts I'm looking for where ever you find yours :cheers:
[/quote]

Sound's like they're all over the place down there. Here, the first one my kid saw was her own!! I hadn't seen one since the late '80's when I was shopping for our first 'Cruiser. I chose the '82 BJ60 over the '55 I was looking at. I still think the '82 was a far better choice at the time.
If you here of a '74 - '76 or so '55 for parts cheap let me know. I'm needing light lenses and front side lights as well as a good interior. The '55 is part '74 and part '76.

If you want a good off road rig that will haul all the gear you need and keep you dry, an FJ-55 is a great choice.

Wheelbase is a plus in most areas, in fact, I have taken mine on some very narrow trails and it all worked out fine.

They are narrow and turn well.

Get one....most will not be lookers, but driving a rusty pig is cool!

I just sold a super clean one. Funny story, I valet parked it at the 4 Season's Hotel here in Dallas once and they parked it up front between a Porche and a Bentley!

Pigs rule!

Alright thanks alot, how about fj45? lets say lwb and swb what do you think of those

What other cruiser can you put the whole family plus the dog in and look so sweet! No offense to the 60s crowd the IMOP the 55 is the sweetest wagon out there. Well, ok 45 wagon is sweet as are the 80s but I own a 55 and am partial. :D

Good luck finding a cherry 55. I did but I paid way too much money for it!! Don't ask cause I wouldn't tell what I paid for it ;) Thank god for school loans. 2.82% is easy money to ignore :D

Just bought a digi cam so more pic of my rig to come. I have just redone the interior bottom to top, paint and all! :cheers:

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=8156;start=msg69850#msg69850 date=1070319876]
Alright thanks alot, how about fj45? lets say lwb and swb what do you think of those
[/quote]

Definitely, if you find a cherry fj45 with a removable top, you don't want it for any off roading. Just let me know where it is, 8) and I'll take care of it for you.

Just put together a nearly rot free california 73 fj55 with a f2 engine and drivetrain. Drives like a tank.

I need a few small items... anyone got a FJ55 they are parting?

rear trunk handle fixture (suggestions please!!!)

right rear reverse light cover (white)

seats -- suggestions??

any idea the best place to get the roof reupholstered?

thanks

alex

Alex,

Just saw that SOR has a headliner available for the 55. Its a clean looking fit but cream color is your only option. Only cost about $100 and you can put it in yourself :banana:. Definately does a lot to clean up the inside. Check it out sor.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom