Fj45 engine swap recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Thought I’d start a convo to see what peoples thoughts are on what engine would be best to put in a fj45 to replace the 2f. I’ve just finished restoring my fj45 and about to rig it up to do some touring and im thinking about replacing the 2f for a different engine…or just keep the 2f? And also what 5speed box to put in also. It’s currently got the 4speed but wouldn’t think that’s good for the highway. I’ve added some photos also.

1FF8E3B1-1291-4D16-8587-6D3CC4C37C0B.jpeg

D39D8B98-9F74-4059-ADB0-C350AAEBC115.jpeg

4C51BB30-763B-4777-B098-6024F4A12346.jpeg

9043809C-DEC5-491C-8DE6-8352BE222D36.jpeg

Congrats mate, your FJ45 looks just awesome, a true inspiration for my future BJ45 pickup resto!

As it concerns a engine swap, I would like to ask where on earth do you live:
In Europe, the prohibitive petrol/gaz prices would lead easier to a diesel swap. eg. if a 6 cylinder is wished, to a 2H, or his stronger brother the venerable 12H-T.
In the USA, things may markedly differ and, as White Stripe suggested, a Sniper Fuel Injection kit may be the way to go.

PS. One can see that you used a 70-Series (J79?) bed. Given the insane prices of a 40-Series bed (both OEM used or aftermarket new), I think that you did it right, since there are available these beds (often brand new) at fair prices.

Since you didn't proceed to a build thread yet, could you inform us what the main challenges have been?
eg. did you have to cut the bed, in order to move the wheel wells to meet the wheels?
How did you with the body mounts do: 40-, 70-Series, or a combination of both? OEM, Aftermarket and/or special adapters, as Crushers once suggested?

Could you please upload more pics concerning the bed, eg. the interior with the tailgate opened, underneath, (eventually) cutted pieces etc?

Last edited:
First, that is a great looking truck. Personally, if the engine is running without any issues, I'd leave it just the way it is. Even if there are engine issues, I'd fix what is wrong with the original engine. Only if the cost to fix original engine was extreme would I consider a change but you'll have to be the one that makes that determination.

Is that a aftermarket bed? I thought 45 beds had flat sides? If the 2f is running well maybe just add fuel injection. Otherwise it's kind of up to however you want it to drive as far as other swaps go.
75 series bed

Is that a aftermarket bed? I thought 45 beds had flat sides? If the 2f is running well maybe just add fuel injection. Otherwise it's kind of up to however you want it to drive as far as other swaps go.
Hi White Stripe, yes it’s a new 79 series bed that’s been modified to fit. I waited around for a couple of years trying to find a original tub but just couldn’t find a good one and if I did find a rusted one they are selling for 3-4k Aus dollars. I didn’t want to wait around longer lol but I’d go the original tub if I do get my hands on one.

Congrats mate, your FJ45 looks just awesome, a true inspiration for my future BJ45 pickup resto!

As it concerns a engine swap, I would like to ask where on earth do you live:
In Europe, the prohibitive petrol/gaz prices would lead easier to a diesel swap. eg. if a 4 banger is wished, to a 3B, or a newer (and stronger) model of the B Series, like the 4B or its IDI sister, the OEM Bandeirante engine, the 14B.
In the USA, things may markedly differ and, as White Stripe suggested, a Sniper Fuel Injection kit may be the way to go.

PS. One can see that you used a 70-Series (J79?) bed. Given the insane prices of a 40-Series bed (both OEM used or aftermarket new), I think that you did it right, since there are available these beds (often brand new) at fair prices.

Since you didn't proceed to a build thread yet, could you inform us what the main challenges have been?
eg. did you have to cut the bed, in order to move the wheel wells to meet the wheels?
How did you with the body mounts do: 40-, 70-Series, or a combination of both? OEM, Aftermarket and/or special adapters, as Crushers once suggested?

Could you please upload more pics concerning the bed, eg. the interior with the tailgate opened, underneath, (eventually) cutted pieces etc?
Hi Greek Cruiserhead,
Apologies I should remember to mention where I’m from. I’m in Australia.
Hmm I might look into this sniper kit for the fuel economy.

In regards to the bed, well there is a place in QLD Australia that modify the beds and sell them complete to suite the 40 series. Basically buy it off the shelf and bolt it on. It was great all I did was paint the tub and get the Toyota logo painted on the back. I will try and find the place that I got it from and send you the details but from what I’ve heard is that they have stopped doing it. I do know though from I last spoke to them is that they shorten it from the front..so basically cut the front and move it down shorter. That way the tub and gate don’t need to be touched. Then they attach new rails to the bottom to suit. Hope this helps

First, that is a great looking truck. Personally, if the engine is running without any issues, I'd leave it just the way it is. Even if there are engine issues, I'd fix what is wrong with the original engine. Only if the cost to fix original engine was extreme would I consider a change but you'll have to be the one that makes that determination.
Hi Byron…you make a good point. As for the engine..it’s running great with no leaks. I’m just not familiar with how reliable the 2f is and I do know she is a thirsty beast lol..maybe this sniper system will help. Though I think I might have to go 5speed to make freeway driving more comfortable.

Hi Byron…you make a good point. As for the engine..it’s running great with no leaks. I’m just not familiar with how reliable the 2f is and I do know she is a thirsty beast lol..maybe this sniper system will help. Though I think I might have to go 5speed to make freeway driving more comfortable.

If you go way back in history you will see that the engine in the FJ-40 was started from equipment sold to Toyota from Chevrolet/GM on the old straight 6. These were very reliable engines with slight variations based on bore and stroke. I believe the Toyota engine is no less reliable. Over the years many Chevrolet parts were adapted to the Toyota engine with minimal modifications: put a Toyota metric machined distributor gear on the Chevrolet 6 cylinder distributor, Rochester carburetor and Delco alternators were also adapted. V8 conversions were a 1/2" adapter plate between small block Chevrolet bellhousing and the Toyota 3 spd transmission which would fit the Chevrolet clutch and pressure plate.

This is a truck with 6 cylinder engine and gearing to handle hauling loads. As a way of achieving better gas mileage and better freeway driving Toyota changed gearing from 4:11 to 3:70. Now, fuel injection really shines with regard to altitude change and adjusting to handle the change better that a carburetor. Toyota used to supply a high altitude jet kit as well as a distributor adjustment. The Sniper EFI setup is one way to accomplish this.

Personally, I've always been a hotrod guy. So when my engine was toast because of a burst oil line while doing 70 MPH on the freeway, I converted to a 350 SBC. Over the years I've replaced parts with what I felt were appropriate upgrades. What you need to do is figure out what it is you want from your truck and make decisions on that and not what others have done unless it fits your desires and budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom