FJ43 Build from Far Far Away. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well she the PS and bracing from 4x4 labs is all complete. The MAF brackets are now welded on (moved 2" forward from stock location) and the rear brackets are going to be bolted into the frame and after driving around to make sure we like them will take weld them on as well.

Just one crappy phone picture. Should have the mock up with axles done in the next week. I still need to order some ALCANs for the rear springs.

Hopefully moving it forward that 2" gives me a slightly better approach angle and alleviates the problem with the slip yoke in the driveshaft. Who knows maybe it will be to short now. I guess we will see. The 5 speed is stuck in NY because of the storm. As soon as it arrives it will be time do so some measuring and getting all of the new transmission and motor mounts fabbed up. I'm guessing the body will have to come on and off a few times before we get it just right.

I moved my front axle forward 9/16" when I put the HJ61 axle under my LX. I would have gone more, but I have stock power steering and the drag link prevented my going any further forward.

I wish my welds looked as nice as your dad's welds though...

Josh

I moved my front axle forward 9/16" when I put the HJ61 axle under my LX. I would have gone more, but I have stock power steering and the drag link prevented my going any further forward.

I wish my welds looked as nice as your dad's welds though...

Josh

Yeah I wish mine looked as good as his as well. I never got the sizzling bacon thing down just right.

You have stock PS. I gave that just a very little thought and figured 2" wouldn't be a big deal and the tie-rods would have enough play not to effect this. At least not with a Saginaw setup. That and when people do a spring reversal on here it nets them 3"s and I never read anything about this being a problem?

Hopefully i didn't over look something as those are not coming off easily. I would have to re-drill the center pins on the springs.

You all are supposed to make sure my stupid newbie self doesn't get myself into this sort of trouble :) I know just enough to be dangerous.

I still think I'm ok though the way the Saginaw is designed over the stock 40/60 setup.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have any problems at all. If I had 60 series power steering like I had on my troopy then I would have gone more like 1.5" or 2".

I am 4+ inches forward with a saginaw box and there is still room to move forward another inch or so.

I am 4+ inches forward with a saginaw box and there is still room to move forward another inch or so.

Are you 4" forward? Wow, I gotta look at that next time. Are you coming up for the Diablo Cañon run?

With the factory steering it is the drag link from the pitman arm which doesn't allow one to go very far forward. With Saginaw or 60 series boxes that problem is moot.

I would love to put 60 series power steering on my LX but I just can justify tearing off a perfectly good factory power steering unit; even if the 60 series system is better and would have let me move the axle forward another inch.

Josh

Are you 4" forward? Wow, I gotta look at that next time. Are you coming up for the Diablo Cañon run?

I think it is a great idea, but my only chance in November is the 18th and it is slim at best.

Damn Jason that is looking good... can't wait to one day see it in person :)

How far is your dad's place from Seattle (I know not close) maybe I can coincide a trip to my sister next time you are out there next year. :cheers:

Glad to see a few more completed OM617 swaps on here. Looks like you did yours in a matter of days. I'm going on a few years now.

Patience is not one of my virtues, which would explain why I am on the second OM617 in mine.

Damn Jason that is looking good... can't wait to one day see it in person :)

How far is your dad's place from Seattle (I know not close) maybe I can coincide a trip to my sister next time you are out there next year. :cheers:

Al,

It is about 8 hours away so not that close sadly. But you will see it soon enough. Hopefully I get back from this deployment just in time for Logans run next year. I'm either just going to make it or just miss it. Either Or it will be making a trip up to NC in 2013.

Patience is not one of my virtues, which would explain why I am on the second OM617 in mine.

Mine either. I've had to work very very hard on it over the past few years.

The new rear cross member is in. It is not original as MAF only had the LED style in but it is pretty heavy duty and will do well replacing the old rusted and cut up one.

I think the suspension will get a mock up and the axles will go back under the truck.

Still waiting on the transmission but I think the shipping company that I had is still out of power in NY so a lot is hinging on that.

But once I can get that in we should have the engine mounts in and get the frame painted. Hopefully by the beginning of the year.

Anyone have a good idea where to get body mounts for an FJ43. There are a couple of extra.

Debating picking up a new radiator from Cruiser Corps (have one with an oil cooler in the bottom). Mine is not in bad shape but it is not in good shape either and I will need an oil cooler anyway.

Also in reference to my shock mount tab above...Did anyone else have this problem? Suggestions for fixing it? I'm not sure ho far in/back on the axle I can move the tab.

I've got an AL radiator very similar to (or exactly like) the Cruiser Corps radiator and I debated using the trans cooler tank for the oil cooler. I've decided against because of the unknowns. First, the OE Merc plumbing is larger in diameter than the fittings on the radiator. I don't want a bottleneck. Second, should the cooling system run on the warm side, I don't want to compound the problem by getting my engine oil hot too. The Merc system is thermostatically controlled anyway and doesn't need heat from the cooling system.

Are you re-locating the oil filter housing?

I agree that the cooler fittings are too small. They are designed for a transmission running higher pressures than the engine. As for cooling the engine oil is probably going to be running just as hot if not hotter than the coolant so that wouldn't be a problem.

Glad ur getting some wrenching time. I just got back and in typical ANGRY Co fashion we did not get block leave. My 40 has been sitting for almost a year now with a bad clutch master cylinder. I plan to fix it tonight finally. I did buy a 55 that I plan to revive once I get some off time.

Enjoy the off time

I hope this is just a bad picture but was going to order my springs tonight for the rear from ALCAN. I need to get better pictures but there is quite the storm on the coast right now but WTF is going on with my front rear spring hanger? It is hard to tell from the picture but the other side looks different. I'm guessing this is another one of my Colombian hodge jobs that I should have noticed when I was ripping this all apart last time. As noted earlier on things that were strange I was so amazed by all of the odd bolts and other deformities I missed this. But I don't see any of the holes (03/80 truck) for the spring pin? This should be the two bolt 15mm pin with 25mm OD bushings correct?

Check out pic in post 67 in the lower left corner. Almost looks factory? Is this an FJ45/43/44 thing? Hopefully my little brother didn't throw those pins out (he is a metal scraping fool).

Thoughts? Could save myself a bundle and order some shorter FJ40 springs and just move all of the hangers but then what would be FJ43 left on this truck???? OOOPS :)

Also for those wondering I find it weird that the WB on these trucks is only 5.7" longer. Especially when the frame is 22.9" longer. The springs are about 49.8" in length vs the FJ40 at 42.1" so hopefully that little extra bit helps with the ride (designing for a cush every day driver with ALCAN).

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/framedims/cruiser_frame.pdf
IMG951310.jpg
IMG952891.jpg
IMG956977.jpg

Last edited:
Two threaded holes with the bigger spring eyes came in 1981. Your hanger should have the smaller eye with one threaded hole.
Josh

Sorry, the pics took a bit to open. Yours looks right for a pre-'81 45. If I recall correctly, the rear pin had no bolt. However I'm really only truly familiar with'81-'84 45s. Just make sure you get bushings for the smaller spring eye on the frame side.
Josh

Holy Hell!! I should have just put two FJ60 axles under this thing moved the spring hangers out and called it a day. I've ended up changing things way more than I wanted. I already have the spring pins and bushings so it might just be easier to cut that outer portion of the mount and make a template for my spring pins and weld it on in the same location?

If you do, I would get the hangers from an FJ 60 so you'll have the larger spring eyes. They are easier to get lift kits for now, the bushings last longer and they are a bit smoother.
Josh

If you do, I would get the hangers from an FJ 60 so you'll have the larger spring eyes. They are easier to get lift kits for now, the bushings last longer and they are a bit smoother.
Josh

I won't end up changing them now as I have everything but thanks for the hint. I think I will just cut off that outer most hole you see and cut out my own bracket to replace it that replicates the FJ40 version so I can use all the parts I already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom