Fj40 won’t crank - help me get home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m stuck in a parking lot right now because my fj won’t crank. Accessories come on but there’s no noise or anything when trying to start. Any ideas?

I have noticed in the past that there’s a slight delay between turning the key to to start and the starting cranking. Could this be the progression of that problem?

Is there anything I can try before calling for a tow?

Starter maybe stuck. Tap the solenoid with hammer or equivalent. Then try again.

You also might not be getting sufficient ground. Trace heavy wire from starter mount to frame. You can tap the side of the frame connection, maybe get a bit of rotation to get the ground back. Or even remove the connection and clean it if you have tools. Good luck. Also check positive connection to starter.

Engine fuse good? 15A?

Well, you need to get 12 volts to the solenoid. So, key on, then jump a wire from battery + to + solenoid.
Ok so the solenoid has two cables, the big positive straight to the battery and the small removable connector. I removed that connector and connected to battery positive. Got some sparks but nothing moved. That’s pretty conclusive it’s the solenoid right?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’m gonna leave it and get it towed in the morning.

Sometimes, theres a hand crank under the back seat that you can use to start the engine when the elactrical starter fails

So where did you break down? You should reach out to the Rising Sun club if you’re in The Denver metro or surrounding communities. Members are scattered over this area and likely to help. So where are you?

I must be getting old. No one mentioned bad starter and manual transmission push start was the way to get home.
Starter? We don't need no stinking starter! 😆

I had to do that a few times with the old Cummins 5.9 when the starter contacts were going out...needed a good hill to get that one to roll over though.

starter contacts wear out with time and heat can aggravate the non-contact problem - don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Find a nearby person and ask them for a push!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom