FJ40 Sheet Metal Supplier Reviews - Quality/Price/Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ76. I'm planning to replace the Quarter panels, rear sill and rockers with aftermarket steel replacement patch panels. In my research I notice Cool Cruisers of Texas and Real Steel appear to offer comparable prices, Cruiser Corps is 2x that of the first two, and Spector is 3x the price of the first two suppliers. Looking for any one with experience with sheet metal suppliers. Thanks!

Real Steel: Quarter Panels & Patches

Cool Cruisers of Texas: CCOT Quarter Panels ~ Die Cut

Cruiser Corps: Body Panels

Spector Off-Road: FJ40 Aftermarket Reproduction Body Tub Panels

subscribed

I bought Real Steel stuff a few years back when I did my body work. No real complaints, I’d use them again.

Metal is metal no matter how you look at it, some things still needed tweaked, trimmed, and finessed into place.

Real Steel has a few discounts if you order certain items in pairs. They used to have a webpage showing the discounts but I looked and can't find it. I know they had their business for sale. Did someone buy it?

I bought a lot of metal from RS last year for my 82 40. Very good quality and reasonably fast for shipping. All metal fit with very minimal tweaking. Ordered a couple things from CCOT that RS didn't have in stock and they were very good too. Overall I highly recommend RS.

My quarter panels were supplied by Kingsley at Homs Toyota Parts in Sale Victoria Aust, and the great panel repairs done by Chris Newnham of The 40 Factory in Melbourne Aust..
Both good guys and experts..

Gaz..

IMG_20180529_163139_136.jpg

IMG_20180531_153929_632.jpg

IMG_20180804_155608_955.jpg

I'm leaning towards Real Steel for the four wheel well supports needed for my '71 FJ40 build. They'll be required so I can install the '77 roll bar.

I would go with CCOT

I got a pair of RS quarters, they were a 1/2" out at the top where it meets up with the channel support.

Ordered a set of CCOT, they lined up perfect

I got a pair of RS quarters, they were a 1/2" out at the top where it meets up with the channel support.

Ordered a set of CCOT, they lined up perfect

Exactly my experience with their rear quarters, @gsnyder. They were 1/2" out of square where they meet the rear channels (rear door openings).

I ended up cutting out a 1/2" tapered slice from both of my rear quarter panel pieces welding them back together to make it square. It added probably 4 hours to the project, plus more body work. Still not super pumped with the fitment, but it's one of those things only I will notice.

I also bought front footwell patches from Real Steel. They were ok, but were bent to the wrong angle, and the stamped ribs weren't quite parallel to the existing stamped ribs in the original panels, which was hard to rectify perfectly.

I bought a passenger floor pan from CCOT that was pretty good, but again, a little massaging required.

All in all, they were fine. Much much better than trying to fabricate from scratch. :)

I rebuilt my FJ40 tub using CCOT parts. They are actual old Toyota dies and jigs. They required zero adjustment.
My tub came out within 1/8" square all around. I don't think anyone builds anything with tighter tolerances.
I would recommend them any time. The outer skins are handmade, none were available at the time. This 10 yr old build.
FJ40 Body Restoration 119.JPG
FJ40 Body Restoration 118.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom