FJ40 Restoration, Convert to EFI? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are starting to restore our 1971 FJ40. My grandfather bought it new. It still has the original engine. The carburetor had previously been replaced. I want to keep it as original as possible, but I'm considering upgrading to a fuel injection system (possibly a Howell or Weber). Either fuel injector would require a different style air filter to fit under the hood. Do you think this would hurt the value of the vehicle? It will be kept in the family though and handed down to my kids when I'm gone. I guess it's a question of performance vs. keeping it closer to original. Thanks in advance.

Not many museum pieces are enjoyable. Valuable? Maybe. What do you use this vehicle for?

I don't think it would hurt the value at all. There may be that one specific buyer that wants it so original and chooses to do no after purchase work that won't buy b/c of it...but like you mentioned it's not for sale. Also, swapping back to a stock carb and air filter seems easy enough if the urge ever occurs!

I am running an aftermarket (aisin copy) carb with good performance. I know a guy in town that did a FI conversion on his 45 and it looks stockish and he really likes the performance. I think he made an adapter to use the original air cleaner somehow. I remember it looked very well done. I could get him to send me a photo and the details, if you are interested.

"Value" is in the eye of the beholder.

What will you use the 40 for? Driving long distances? Or quick trips around the local area? If you're going to drive it often and far, it would seem that a good EFI/TBI is a good upgrade. Especially something like the Holley Sniper.

If you're planning on showing it at car shows or selling it, a rebuilt and perfectly tuned AISN carb might fetch more money.

A hotrodded Model A is a lot more fun to drive than a 100% restored one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just converted my ‘69 FJ40 (1972 engine) to TBI using the AFI kit. Man, let me tell you, it runs like a sowing machine. The engine has never run better and does not lack for power. It is the best thing I’ve ever done to my 40.

@FJ60Cam and Mosely Motors did all the work. Link to the thread with lots of info:
SS Minnow

A custom intake adapter like I made for mine can keep the original air cleaner. You can barely tell mine has been converted to fuel injection.

Thanks, guys! I plan on driving it only on rain-free weekends, short trips to dinner. It has spent it's whole life on my grandfather's and now father's ranch. It has been an awesome vehicle and very capable going up and down steep inclines. I learned to drive with it, and so did my kids. I think I'll do the EFI. I'm also converting the front brakes to disk for obvious safety reasons.

Thanks, guys! I plan on driving it only on rain-free weekends, short trips to dinner. It has spent it's whole life on my grandfather's and now father's ranch. It has been an awesome vehicle and very capable going up and down steep inclines. I learned to drive with it, and so did my kids. I think I'll do the EFI. I'm also converting the front brakes to disk for obvious safety reasons.

Another worthwhile upgrade is a good undercoat on the frame and body.

That way you can drive it in the rain or snow if need be, and not worry about it rusting. It's a good way to protect your heirloom and investment, and it's not something a casual observer will notice either.

By undercoat, do you mean something different than zinc primer and paint?

Yes. I'm not talking about the undercoat you spray over the primer before you spray the top coat of paint. "Undercoat" is its own thing. Its like a thicker,rubbery, more durable paint that will adhere to painted metal. When I get around to doing a good restoration on mine, I'm going to powdercoat the frame, and undercoat the tub.

It typically only gets applied to the bottom, underneath where no one will see it, and where rust is most likely to form. It's not something someone normally sprays on more visible areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom