fj40 resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum. Trying to restore a 1962 FJ40 picture is in my profile. Just picked it up today. It starts and runs, BUT the body has seen better days. It only has the drivers side seat which is not original. It has the rear folding door and window. I had no idea about it but the smog unit is missing. I want to try and redo as much as I can. If anyone on here can give any advice as to where to look for parts if any and what I should be worried about please feel free to reach out to me PLEASE will take any help/advice that is given.

I really have no idea. I've seen on some sites that there should be some type of smog unit and some people delete it. I have a missing belt area but it does not effect driving. I have not driven it other than off flat bed and in the drive way.

Im not only new to this forum but also posting properly is new to me

Smog was way after 1962. You should look at the basics of the truck. Frame number , what engine is in it, pics of everything and you will get results from a well educated forum.

Thank you, I am all over the place letting my excitement get the best of me. Hopefully after getting pictures posted and reading up more I can get more info. I just downloaded the manual and the folding windows I have apparently did not come on a 62. I think the previous owner (original) did a lot of mods on his own with out really devulging them to second buyer then to me. Shame on me for not doing my homework first but it was a gift and I cant wait to get at it.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mud.

(from the classified photos) There is a 2F in the engine bay. The engine originally came with a smog pump. You should hook up the PCV system. Otherwise, the only other emissions of concern would be associated with the fuel tank.

I don't know much about the early ones, but... Land Cruiser Heritage Museum - 1962 FJ40 - https://landcruiserhm.com/museum-collection/vehicle-collection/31-1962-fj40#gallery Your truck seems consistent with the era, but others on this forum will probably chime in.

Thank you, I am all over the place letting my excitement get the best of me. Hopefully after getting pictures posted and reading up more I can get more info. I just downloaded the manual and the folding windows I have apparently did not come on a 62. I think the previous owner (original) did a lot of mods on his own with out really devulging them to second buyer then to me. Shame on me for not doing my homework first but it was a gift and I cant wait to get at it.
Nice gift!
Even nicer to rescue that oldie and start enjoying it. Mine is one year newer! You will eventually touch every single part of it.
I started in Feb. by rebuilding the brakes for safety's sake. I needed to rebuild the the rear diff, too. Then wheel bearings, etc.
My engine is an F so your 2F is already an upgrade. I recommend getting the factory manuals and the Haynes one as well.
Be prepared to redo most of the wiring as that seems to get modified badly over the years.
Enjoy the journey!

Nice gift!
Even nicer to rescue that oldie and start enjoying it. Mine is one year newer! You will eventually touch every single part of it.
I started in Feb. by rebuilding the brakes for safety's sake. I needed to rebuild the the rear diff, too. Then wheel bearings, etc.
My engine is an F so your 2F is already an upgrade. I recommend getting the factory manuals and the Haynes one as well.
Be prepared to redo most of the wiring as that seems to get modified badly over the years.
Enjoy the journey!
Did you upgrade the brakes to disk? Do you know where to get any wiring diagrams. I downloaded a manual but it's not very good. Which one do you have and find useful.

I rebuilt/replaced the brake cylinders (all 8). The factory service manual for the body and frame has a very good wiring diagram.
I got it from Spector Off Road (SOR.com). I referred to it today to trace the ignition system wiring, slowly returning it to original.

Well here are the pictures I have of what my wife got me into. Hopefully the finished product is something close to my vision for it.

20210104_095412.jpg

20210104_095405.jpg

20210104_095051.jpg

20210104_095158.jpg

20210104_095421.jpg

That thing would look pretty good with the the patina cleaned up and some stock steelies. Read through this thread: Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/preserving-patina-how-to-tips-and-tricks.1097611/

That driver's seat looks like it out of an old B2000 Mazda 😅

Edit: also there's no smog controls on these older ones. Some more knowledgeable members can comment on what year that was introduced, but I'm guessing mid-70s.

No expert but there is holes in the head for the air injection ports. They're capped off, so the head at least is designed for it? Or they all had those in place idk

No expert but there is holes in the head for the air injection ports. They're capped off, so the head at least is designed for it? Or they all had those in place idk
USA models had the air injection ports. On the block, lower driver's are some provisions for the smog pump to be run off of the belt that is absent. So, there are two grooves on the some of the pulleys. There is a vacuum retard diaphragm on the distributor (probably a 19100-61020), which isn't ideal to have hooked up on this particular set-up. There might be a wax controlled vac unit on the thermostat housing. Also, the exhaust manifold might have an EGR plug? There are usually two water temp sending units on the head - one for emissions controls. The original exhaust manifold heat-shield would have a duct to deliver hot air to the air cleaner assembly when it is cold (this is worth running in winter on desmogged carbs, but the original valve is going to be a challenge on most air cleaner assemblies).

Smog diagrams, of the smog era, reference fumes from the tank, and PCV. These are two smog systems that are really good to not delete (PCV), and to deal with somehow (tank fumes). Right now, that PCV need to be configured, based on the photos.

I'd consider placing the alternator on the passenger side, using the original 2F belt and burly bracket to run it with. It would change the layout of the wiring harness. But, I've never seen the layout schematic of the harness for my truck, and I wonder if anyone has one for a '62?

I'd install a nylon fan, the original F fan has been reported to fatigue, loose a blade, and go thru the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom