FJ40 power steering issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'81 factory PS. I sent my steering box off to get new seals installed got it back put back on truck and hard to steer especially to the left. Worked fine when I sent it off just leaked bad. Any ideas? I cracked both lines to see if had air trapped but didn't change anything. Very frustrated.

who did the work? did you try talking with them?

who did the work? did you try talking with them?
West Texas. No I just got it back together last night. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they can help. Didn't know if there was something I needed to do besides fill it with fluid I didn't know about

During initial break in, I have always found it helpful to jack the front end off the ground while turning the steering from lock to lock, as I am busy focusing on trying to keep air out of the system.

If it sits overnight, you will have a fresh shot at this in the morning. Try it before you call them. :)

During initial break in, I have always found it helpful to jack the front end off the ground while turning the steering from lock to lock, as I am busy focusing on trying to keep air out of the system.

If it sits overnight, you will have a fresh shot at this in the morning. Try it before you call them. :)
Ok thanks it has to be something simple it was working fine before

Do this several times with the engine OFF, not running. Some systems will only bleed with the engine off. Turn the wheel slowly back and forth - don't be in a hurry.

Do this several times with the engine OFF, not running. Some systems will only bleed with the engine off. Turn the wheel slowly back and forth - don't be in a hurry.
does it bleed out through the return line into the reservoir or do i need to crack the return line at the gear box?

It self-bleeds into the reservoir through the return line. Beware some systems can puke through the fill cap when you do this, so put down some newspaper and be ready to catch a mess.

It self-bleeds into the reservoir through the return line. Beware some systems can puke through the fill cap when you do this, so put down some newspaper and be ready to catch a mess.
Called west Texas and he said pretty much the same as you. I rocked the steering back and forth and pretty confident that I got all the air out. At least she doesn't puke when I go all the way left never did going right. Anyways still I can turn right pretty much with one hand have to use both and crank on it to go left. I'll have to send it back. But it turns left no prob on jacks so not sure if sending it back gonna do anything. Still frustrated.

I was just about to post if West Tx was still rebuilding steering boxes? Guess this answers my question to rebuild my 84 bj45 steering box during the engine swap.
Looking forward to hearing how this ends up.

This may sound dumb and I don't know the your system as mine is custom hyroboost, but I messed up once and reversed the hoses (don't ask) and it had exactly these symptoms when it was working just fine prior. just sayin.....

This may sound dumb and I don't know the your system as mine is custom hyroboost, but I messed up once and reversed the hoses (don't ask) and it had exactly these symptoms when it was working just fine prior. just sayin.....
Ii thought about that I'll look into it today thanks.

Hoses are in the correct place. based on what your experience, I wonder if i switched them to wrong and see if that would correct it then I would at least know where the problem is and go from there?

Pulled the box off and sending back to the shop. Hope they can figure out what's going on and get it back soon. Having withdrawals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom