fj40 body on tacoma or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have seen the FZJ40 love the rig
has anyone done a body on a more readily available donor?
Tacoma 4runner, tundra

The 80 series is a good platform to start with because of the factory solid front axle.
That said, I'd like to find a rolled FJ Cruiser and swap an FJ40 body onto it.
But I would also want to cut out the IFS and put in a solid front axle like a 609. Not sure what it would take to do that as I would also want to keep certain things like the ABS capability and ATRAC, which you need specific axle parts (reluctor rings and ABS sensors so the computer can track wheel speed) to do.

Modifying an 80 series frame seems like much less work.

plenty of 80 series around.... for a reason

I probably could restate that, earlier comment and change it to a cheaper and easier to get parts for donor car.

There are plenty of 80 series around for a reason..they are nearing the end of their lifespan, and they are getting more expensive to repair.

Ask me i sold my 97 locked a couple of years ago with 247k miles on it.

awesome car, i just did not want to spend 6-10k to keep it reliable.

and it is a gas hog.

tacoma and 4runner production numbers must easily triple or quadruple 80 series cruisers.

I am assuming from the responses out there that this has not been done yet probably because it is ifs. make a cool expedition rig though.

It would be the Fj cruiser they should have built, modern ifs with a convertible option.

Last edited:
Is the Tacoma an IFS/leaf vehicle? The new Hilux's down here are just that and if it's the same I'd wager it's probably not heavy duty enough. Though I do like be proven wrong :)

Toyota HiLux Colours

Is the Tacoma an IFS/leaf vehicle? The new Hilux's down here are just that and if it's the same I'd wager it's probably not heavy duty enough. Though I do like be proven wrong :)

Toyota HiLux Colours

The Tacoma has coil over IFS and leaf springs in the rear. They are similar to the hilux, but are different enough that Toyota produces them domestically in the US. I think they are plenty strong enough, however, they have been designed for the crash safety testing that the US does. Interestingly enough, my 2008 tacoma does not have a fully boxed frame. Its mostly a C-channel except where the front differential mounts to the frame. I think this is done so that the frame will absorb energy in a crash rather than transfer the energy to the occupants.

So are you thinking IFS? Because doing a SAS and a body swap is pretty ambitious. I honestly think IFS might be cool given the right circumstances. I have an 80 and an unnamed non-Toyota (came with the wife) that is independent front and rear and it's pretty nice having that comfort.
I'd like to see a 55 body on a 100 series chassis.

A 3rd gen 4runner might be a better option than a taco. They have a better frame and rear coil suspension. They are also a shorter wheel base than an extended cab taco. The 3rd gen 4runner wheel base is 105", 2" longer than a regular cab 1st gen taco. An FJ45 wagon would be a perfect fit on the 3rd gen 4runner chassis.

IFS FJ40? This is the Softest Core post ive ever seen on here! :flipoff2: Its Just Wrong IMO :popcorn:

Just buy a Tacoma, or a 4runner, they are great trucks!
if you didint like the maintenece of an FJ80, your not going to have the patience for this sort of a project.

Jonathon Ward of tlc4x4.com built a 2001 fj45 crew cab with a tacoma frame and drivetrain.There are pictures in the restorations section of the website.

Isotel said:
IFS FJ40? This is the Softest Core post ive ever seen on here! :flipoff2: Its Just Wrong IMO :popcorn:

Just buy a Tacoma, or a 4runner, they are great trucks!
if you didint like the maintenece of an FJ80, your not going to have the patience for this sort of a project.

I'm thinking trophy truck 45. It could be sweet, just for a different purpose. Solid front axles are rare for a reason. I love them though. For the record I would put a body on a ifs chassis but never pull the solid axle out for ifs . Its not hardcore if we stick to the same formulas, but mostly agree with you.

There are plenty of 80 series around for a reason..they are nearing the end of their lifespan, and they are getting more expensive to repair.

Ask me i sold my 97 locked a couple of years ago with 247k miles on it.

awesome car, i just did not want to spend 6-10k to keep it reliable.

Just out of curiosity, what all did it need to "keep it reliable" at that point?

People always give me the "old vehicles are a money pit" line. But I typically put about $400 to $800 each into my vehicles a year on maintenance items - an '85 pickup, '92 Saab 900S, and a '93 Chevy K2500. Certainly less than two new monthly car payments. I cannot imagine getting to the point of having to throw $10K at one of my vehicles.

Screw feeling guilty bout dropping cash on your favorite ride.
Some people buy crack, some buy cruiser parts.

May be a soft core post in the hardcore section but I would love to see a pre-runner 45 pickup. Especially one of those bad ext cab versions folks on mud been putting together lately.

But build a custom chassis that can take the proper beating and paces that one would naturally need to put a truck of that nature though!

Not that I have the talent to pull it off but a few here on mud def could.

I have always loved the early bronco. did any of you seethe build thread on pirate with the ifs bronco? One of the Baddest rides I have ever seen! Still second to the bronco buggy that twisted customs finished about a year ago!

I will be putting a 71 fj40 body on a 87 shortbed frame/drivetrain-22re/5spd. Probably won't start it til the winter time though. I will be sas-ing it and shortening the wheelbase to fit the 40. I wanted something that is lightweight, classic looking, decent mpg with a removeable top. Cruiser drivetrains are generally heavy and gutless not to mention anything newer is an automatic trans(puke)! Then there is the whole 12mpg thing(yes i've seen better, but i've also seen worse!)... Why not have something that is light and gutless with a 5speed? And yes, I will say it, mini's wheel better(i'm sure its due to the 1500 miss pounds of weight). The problem is mini's are ugly and the closest you can get to a vert' is a 1st gen 4runner which still has a roof over the drivers head. I'm looking forward to starting the project but i need to buy a rebuilt 22re first as the one currently in my mini is blown. Other than that i have all the parts, just need the time!

I will be putting a 71 fj40 body on a 87 shortbed frame/drivetrain-22re/5spd. Probably won't start it til the winter time though. I will be sas-ing it and shortening the wheelbase to fit the 40. I wanted something that is lightweight, classic looking, decent mpg with a removeable top. Cruiser drivetrains are generally heavy and gutless not to mention anything newer is an automatic trans(puke)! Then there is the whole 12mpg thing(yes i've seen better, but i've also seen worse!)... Why not have something that is light and gutless with a 5speed? And yes, I will say it, mini's wheel better(i'm sure its due to the 1500 miss pounds of weight). The problem is mini's are ugly and the closest you can get to a vert' is a 1st gen 4runner which still has a roof over the drivers head. I'm looking forward to starting the project but i need to buy a rebuilt 22re first as the one currently in my mini is blown. Other than that i have all the parts, just need the time!

Sounds like a plan, have you considered an L-series motor, turboed? I had an RJ-70 [Landcruiser on a HiLux frame, 22R, axles etc - factory assembled, not custom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_Prado ] and with the coils, axles box/t'fer from the HiLux it was great, nice and lightweight, but it suffered from that little motor.

Ii am currently doing a fj40 body on a 1997 4cyl 4wd frame and doing a v6 3.4 swap . I used 4runner floor board and firewall and stopped just before the rear seats .. I'm going to fj45 style it. The cab will be little larger for comfort all the 4runner comforts of a/c and heater and gauges. Km also going to try and get the rear sliding window in the back wall. The bed will be about 5'5"... the front ifs sits back a lil so I have do move the fenders back to the doors and stub nose the hood and make customer fender/hood fillers. Gonna be sick when its done ... I have plenty of off road trucks so I want to make a luxury cruiser this time for car shows

I know this is a really old post but I'm very curious if this got built how it worked out. I sold my 40 a few years back when things got too tight financially to keep it and I really want another one before long. But I don't want a 12mpg rig again. And I have an 89 pickup with an excellent frame and 22RE drivetrain, a crap body, a welder, and some fab skills. I was actually thinking of a SAS for the chassis and just use an FJ40 cowl, bob the rear right behind the spring hangers, and build a rear tub to match the existing wheelbase. It would just have a family cage and a full length bikini top. Probably 33 or 35 inch tires. With the right gears I think it would move OK and get decent enough mileage I could even commute it in it on nice days.

The premise is kind of screwed up. The FJ40 platform is pretty damned robust. Better to replace the drive train and suspension on the 40 than move the body onto a Taco. That may be the reason you see so many threads with that theme.

You can do a couple things, first off is place 80 series coils (front & rear) on a 40 series chassis, 80 series suspension is plentiful.

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

Or you do the what my next project is, a 40 series body on a RJ70 series chassis, which is that close to 40 series chassis width & length, the benefit is it has solid axles with coils all round.

IMG_1934.jpg

T-salesfolder07d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom