FJ40 Bilstein 5100 and 5150 shock part numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FYI those are installed upside down - per Bilstein - I actually called them about this, it really makes no difference, but per their technical guys you should be able to read the brand when installed and the boot should be at the bottom.

I called three different time to Bilstein directly about this - to make sure I had a consistent answer and that's the answer they gave me each time.

Wacky to me, but I followed their instructions.

FYI those are installed upside down - per Bilstein - I actually called them about this, it really makes no difference, but per their technical guys you should be able to read the brand when installed and the boot should be at the bottom.

I called three different time to Bilstein directly about this - to make sure I had a consistent answer and that's the answer they gave me each time.

Wacky to me, but I followed their instructions.

This has been debated to death...directly from the horses mouth (the actual department at Bilstein that matters):
Hello,

The 5125 are universal units and can be mounted in either direction.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Michael Ritchie
Technical Sales & Warranty Support Expert
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc

T: +1 858 386-5909, michael.ritchie@thyssenkrupp.com
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc, 14102 Stowe Drive, Poway, CA 92064, USA, www.bilsteinus.com

This has been debated to death...directly from the horses mouth (the actual department at Bilstein that matters):
Hello,

The 5125 are universal units and can be mounted in either direction.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Michael Ritchie
Technical Sales & Warranty Support Expert
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc

T: +1 858 386-5909, michael.ritchie@thyssenkrupp.com
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc, 14102 Stowe Drive, Poway, CA 92064, USA, www.bilsteinus.com

You seem to have glossed over where I say “it really makes no difference”.

Good with the wrench bad with the reading coming comprehension.

We all have strengths and weaknesses I suppose.

Edit - if you think that they intended to have their branding be upside down on a shock you are incorrect. I worked in the industry for a competitive manufacturer - that’s not the way the it’s intended. Even though it can be installed either way.

Last edited:
Edit - if you think that they intended to have their branding be upside down on a shock you are incorrect. I worked in the industry for a competitive manufacturer - that’s not the way the it’s intended. Even though it can be installed either way.

LOL...With that logic, maybe they should have the logo redesigned so it works both ways. Kind of silly that the position of the logo restricts how you use an item.
Who looks at the logo on a shock under your truck? And why does it matter which way it's oriented?

Bilstein Tech support was quite clear when I called...it doesnt matter which direction the shock is installed. If it makes you happy to have the logo right side up...more power to you. Personally I could care less which way the logo is facing. Maybe we can ask them to just put the logo sticker in the box so we can install it ourselves :)

Last edited:
From the Bistein Catalog- :)

0-2” lift front
5100: 33-062518
5150: 25-186284

0-2” lift rear
5100: 33-185606
5150: 25-186291

4” lift front
5100: 33-185606
5150: 25-186291

4” lift rear
5100: 33-185552
5150: 25-101966

Have these part numbers changed?

When I google "bilstein 33-062518" I get links to 5125 series shocks, not 5100 series.

Although I'm running the 5100 series on my truck now I'd trade them for a set of the 4600 series. I think the 4000s give a more supple ride than the 5000s do.

I put Bilsteins on everything I own - call me a fanboy. It's always been the 4000 series until this set of 5100s. They're not bad at all and ride nice on my fj40 but I'm pretty sure they're stiffer. It's not a great big difference though.

Any thoughts on 5125 vs 4600 for a heavier 40 series with 1-2” of lift?

By heavy I mean 2000 lbs on the front axle and 2600 on the rear axle (2400 summer)... empty. Plus possibly 600-800 lbs of passengers.

The perfect shock would smooth the bumps, control the sway, and not limit flex... sadly mostly road use, but I still want to be able to wheel it.

R5000s suck after nearly 20 years.

I ordered Iron Man Pro foam cell shocks direct from Australia recently. I’m loaded up and headed out on a 3000 mile trip tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted

8B0E9F6B-451D-4811-8CAA-9293F9D0A364.jpeg

Wondering what’s the best combo for 2.5” lift up front and 2.5” rear with 1” shackle. Should I run 4” all around? Who else is running 2.5” and Bilsteins?

thank you for this!!!!!!! just ordered off ebay $ 169 for @ fronts that was the best price I could find. I am running a 4" hell creek lift. ill let you know how they fit and ride.

Is there a guide someplace that shows the specs for each shock? Like in Napaonline you can norrow down which shock by the ends... the extended length... the compressed length ... that type of thing

I would be interested in the B4 shocks as one might fit the bill ... I do hear a lot about the bilsteins ... but... I hate the goofy boots on the one ... and the glitz of the other

The Bilstein B4 is black ... has a hard dust shield (depending on application) ... and as far as I can tell are just as quality as the others

Check out Products and services - BILSTEIN and then choose “search products by custom categories“ and then “custom light truck”. I just picked up some of the 5125s. Only got one installed before the kids got me distracted last night. I cut the boot off per recommendations of others on Mud.

I ended up getting shocks off eBay for 67.45ea. They have the measurements on the eBay site (4wp) so you can compare to your measurements. I recommend getting measurements. I have 2.5 lift front and 3.5 rear. I still chose to uses the 0-2” on fronts and the 4” fronts on the rear. The 4” rears are to long to compress for even 4” lift. Should give me enough compression and extension for what I do without have to mess with bumps etc. google part numbers to find the 67.45 price. Below is link for 4” front used as rears.

I took the shock serial numbers from the first post on this thread and wanted to order for my stock 1979 FJ40. I wanted to know the valve rating and here is the reply from Germany Bilstein:

Dear ,

below, we pass you the setting of the enquired shocks:

• 33-062518 & 33-185606 ( rebound: 2500N / compression: 650N / testing speed=0.52 m/s/ tolerances are not respected)

Both shocks come with the same setup, but have different compressed and extended length.

We don´t offer common shocks with your desired setting (175/60).

The also available BILSTEIN B6 are not suitable for the intended use of a lift kit, As these shocks have serial extended lengths.

we recommend you B4 series for stock suspension.

ME: now what . ?!?!?!

They recommended for stock:

Suspension for vehicles with standard chassis
B6-4600

24-002486
B46-0248

24-002585
B46-0258

do you have a lift on yours? I have a 1967 and I just ordered the pro comp 2.5” lift.

I want to get the correct bilsteins to match but now I’m getting confused with someone saying the earlier models like mine have a shock that’s 3 inches shorter.

Given mine is a 1967 and will have a 2.5” lift, should I be ordering 4 of the part number 33-062518?

Thanks
Travis

do you have a lift on yours? I have a 1967 and I just ordered the pro comp 2.5” lift.

I want to get the correct bilsteins to match but now I’m getting confused with someone saying the earlier models like mine have a shock that’s 3 inches shorter.

Given mine is a 1967 and will have a 2.5” lift, should I be ordering 4 of the part number 33-062518?

Thanks
Travis

Which one did you end up ordering

Wondering what’s the best combo for 2.5” lift up front and 2.5” rear with 1” shackle. Should I run 4” all around? Who else is running 2.5” and Bilsteins?
I know this post is a few years old. Did you end up going with a Bilstein shock with your 2.5" lift? If so what shock did you go with?

I just installed the Redline 2.5” lift. Awesome kit. One question I had on the front was that I had to lift the axel from full droop to get the shock installed. Should the front shock limit travel? Any suggestions appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom