FJ40 Bilstein 5100 and 5150 shock part numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly , you need to cycle the suspension with the shocks removed - check the compressed length as well as the extended length when it's flexed out . Never allow a shock to act as a bump stop unless they are built for it - those 5100's are not . Yours don't look out of line on length as it sits , but is the truck loaded at normal ride height or is anything missing ?

My comment on the boots is about quality - or a complete lack of it anyway ...

Sarge

Thx Sarge....good point. Truck is missing rear floor, doors, seats, top and gas in the tank! :)

Is the 5100 series the shock to use, '76 FJ40, 2.5" OME Dakars, most all off-road (dirt and mud)? What about the 4600? Thanks

Although I'm running the 5100 series on my truck now I'd trade them for a set of the 4600 series. I think the 4000s give a more supple ride than the 5000s do.

I put Bilsteins on everything I own - call me a fanboy. It's always been the 4000 series until this set of 5100s. They're not bad at all and ride nice on my fj40 but I'm pretty sure they're stiffer. It's not a great big difference though.

Last edited:
Although I'm running the 5100 series on my truck now I'd trade them for a set of the 4600 series. I think the 4000s give a more supple ride than the 5000s do.

I put Bilsteins on everything I own - call me a fanboy. It's always been the 4000 series until this set of 5100s. They're not bad at all and ride nice on my fj40 but I'm pretty sure they're stiffer. It's not a great big difference though.

Thanks! just the type of info I was interested in. Any body else with an opinion?

Pete

image.jpeg
185552 with 2.5 springs & 1.5 shackles. I slid the boots up a bit so they would look better. I may just delete the boots. By my calculations the bump stops should engage before the shocks bottom but not by much. I need to lower the stops at least an inch. The shock could be a little shorter but with the 4" lift they will work.

I'm running 33-185606 in the front and 33-186542 in the rear with a 4" TPI lift and 1.5" longer shackles. Working great.
IMAG0708.jpg

I'm running 33-185606 in the front and 33-186542 in the rear with a 4" TPI lift and 1.5" longer shackles. Working great.

I don't think your shocks have as much down travel as the distance between the axle and your bump stop.

I'm running 33-185606 in the front and 33-186542 in the rear with a 4" TPI lift and 1.5" longer shackles. Working great.View attachment 1204538

My suspension is pretty much the same. I used the 33-186542 in front and back. I have Ford shock towers in the front. Works great. I need to extend the rear bump stops as well.

I don't think blistein realizes that the early to 73' fj40 rear shocks are about 3" shorter than the 74" and up fj40s. There part numbers don't reflect that anyway.

Yes. Thank you for this.

In the case of my 1968 you just need to order 4 fronts. They are all the same length.

$260 a set off Amazon

Bumping an old thread. Working on putting new shocks all around my truck as the ranchos that were on it when I bought it are garbage.

I have not flexed my truck out, but on flat ground my front shock mounts measure 17" from top post to axle post. Stock leaf springs with SORs inch and half shackles (4 1/2") center to center. The Bilstein 5125 claims to work for 0-2" lifted trucks but only advertises an extended length of 18.5" for the fronts. I don't need to go flex my axle to know that I'm going to have more than 1.5" of drop so I can't see that working. The rear model of the 5125 advertises an extended length of 22.58" and 14.13" collapsed. So should I just order 4 rears? My rear shock posts are 17.5" apart sitting on on flat ground.

Hello, I am running the 5100's on my 40 and I am looking for the part # for the matching steering stabilizer.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom