FJ-60 Vague steering. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Driving the FJ-60, first time in 18 months or so, steering is a little vague, maybe a 20-30 degree dead spot...

Other than inspecting the rag joint & checking that the under dash steering column brakcet is tight,
is there anything I should adjust before i start getting rubber bushings for the steering system and getting those swapped out?

On the 40 there was a nut you could adjust on the PS (to mess with backlash?,) though it didn't help mine much.

Anything else I should inspect?

Thanks,

Eric-

I’ve got the same thing going on. I’ve replaced all the TREs and I’ve rebuilt the gear box and replaced the pump. I haven’t gone into the column so it could be the u joints. I have a replacement for the one you can actually replace, but haven’t taken the time to install it.

When I got the cruiser the wheel always tilted to the right when going straight down the highway. There was about 3-4” of “slop” in the wheel. I think Toyota specs say 1”. I have adjusted the box and rebuilt it and adjusted it again. I had a shop try to adjust it and align everything and they gave up. I’m down to replacing the gear box with an 80 series unit and rebuilding the column completely. I might even put new TRE in again just for good measure.

I know that these trucks will never handle like a modern vehicle with rack and pinion steering, but it’s gotta be better than this. My wandering problem has gotten worse since rebuilding the box and I’ve developed a loud whine when turning in parking lots.

With everything else checked/replaced as needed, You can then look at adjusting the steering gear box. There is a procedure in the FSM

also check the ball socket at the pitman arm, it is adjustable and or shimmable

Driving the FJ-60, first time in 18 months or so, steering is a little vague, maybe a 20-30 degree dead spot...

Other than inspecting the rag joint & checking that the under dash steering column brakcet is tight,
is there anything I should adjust before i start getting rubber bushings for the steering system and getting those swapped out?

On the 40 there was a nut you could adjust on the PS (to mess with backlash?,) though it didn't help mine much.

Anything else I should inspect?

Thanks,

Eric-
So was it not vague before you parked it for 18 months?

I’ve got the same thing going on. I’ve replaced all the TREs and I’ve rebuilt the gear box and replaced the pump. I haven’t gone into the column so it could be the u joints. I have a replacement for the one you can actually replace, but haven’t taken the time to install it.

When I got the cruiser the wheel always tilted to the right when going straight down the highway. There was about 3-4” of “slop” in the wheel. I think Toyota specs say 1”. I have adjusted the box and rebuilt it and adjusted it again. I had a shop try to adjust it and align everything and they gave up. I’m down to replacing the gear box with an 80 series unit and rebuilding the column completely. I might even put new TRE in again just for good measure.

I know that these trucks will never handle like a modern vehicle with rack and pinion steering, but it’s gotta be better than this. My wandering problem has gotten worse since rebuilding the box and I’ve developed a loud whine when turning in parking lots.

I read in another thread the OEM max is 40mm, so just under 2".

So was it not vague before you parked it for 18 months?

It belonged to someone else before i parked it 18 Mo ago., bought it at a good price and several things needed fixing first. Just got it back on the road.

Spent some time wrenching on it right after i bought it, weather got cold, and I lost motivation, and just getting back to it.

It almost certainly was vague then too, but I didn't drive it a ton before purchasing (bad Head Gasket, and all the oil leaked out of Xfer case all over trailer on way home, new seal in, but need to replace bearing too, no 4wd till then, probably just going to get the whole thing rebuilt.)

Ive heard horror story's about adjusting that nut on top of the PS Gear box, Too tight and you'll crack your box. I had mine too tight and the steering would get very stiff whenever I turned it, Damage from over-tightening that nut is irreversible and your looking at a new +$700 PS gear box easily. If the nut is all the way tight I would loosen it before anything else before the PS gear box is destroyed, The adjuster nut should never be all the way tight.

The FJ60's steering has never and will never be good unless you swap out the whole system IMO. But it can always be made better.
To test which component is causing the slop I would have a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth while I hold the rod that goes into the PS Gearbox still and see if the U joints have any slop, I found that greasing the zerks on the U joints help a little bit with the slop. After you verify that your U joints are or are not the problem the next step is to lift up the front end and shake the wheels to test the bearings and tie rod ends.

Just stating the obvious here
Big tires = less control.
More lift = less control

At the end's of your relay rod there's a cotter pin and a slotted fitting screwed into the end. Remove the cotter pin tighten down the slotted fitting all the way in
back it of 3/4 of a turn or so and reinstall the cotter pin. This will take a bit of slop out of your steering.
:beer: ✌️

Check the steering box is still tightly bolted to the chassis rail.. this was the cause of my vague steering - all 4 bolts were loose (found after a full rebuild of both swivel hubs and replacement of all TREs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom