Builds FJ 45 Extended Cab Custom Vehicle Build Finally Begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan, maybe the best place would be to run the tubing through the ribbed vents as suggested. The only other way would be to run something into the cab, but then you will get the air sucking noise.

You could probably modify an arb snorkel to work through the ribs, or, I have made a snorkel for an old XJ to try to get air above the dust on sierra trails that was pretty easy to make out of plumbing pipe. Use a dryer vent tube from the carb and you should be able to get it to the ribs for the plastic tube.

Instead of using an ARB air cap at the top, you could place a coned air filter at the top and that would take care of you air filter issue too.

i think going thru the vent will be the best way to handle this. that way it'll be removeable when you're done screwing around up north. i would also advise building the snorkle out of pvc/plastic tubing or aluminum. using the soft flexible stuff can get you into trouble because it can collapse.

If you have a spare hood you don't mind modding for this, you could just notch it in the back and have the plumbing coming out above the apron through the notch in the hood. Then (like Georg said) when you're done you can pull the plumbing and swap hoods. :meh:

If you have a spare hood you don't mind modding for this, you could just notch it in the back and have the plumbing coming out above the apron through the notch in the hood. Then (like Georg said) when you're done you can pull the plumbing and swap hoods. :meh:

That is what I have been thinking about. Knotching an extra the hood.

the only problem with running it thru the hood is that you have to have enough "flex" in the tubing to get the hood to open and shut properly. that's why i like the side vent idea better. also, try to use at least 4" tubing, anything smaller will restrict the air intake quite a bit, and that can cause the engine to run hot.

i know, i know, engine running hot under water in alaska.....fat chance.

get a mojave heater. smaller unit, more heat.

Top pic is the rig Parked at Checkpoint 3 at SnT Poker run.

Next pics are in camp. It is parked next to woodys 3/4 ton 4x4 as well as my wifes 3/4 ton 2wd.
DSCF4561.JPG
DSCF4562.JPG
DSCF4563.JPG

So where doe the heater motor go?

The heater blower is on the passenger side and the carb is on the driver's side. You run the snorkle ducting out the driver side, just the opposite of the oil burning engines.
Capture1.jpg

So where doe the heater motor go?

Come on, heaters are overated in Alaska! I will proably be above freezing most of the time and you won't be cold or wet or up to your nuts in muskeg at all!!!:beer:

The air intake will be on the passenger side. It will be less of a blind spot there.

If you don't want to run it on the driver's side, I can see the problem. Are yousure it will make that much of a blind spot?

I plan on going out the passenger side (right side) as well, for the same reason. With a turbo 3B and intercooler its gonna be fun running tubing all over. My aprons are not cut though. Notching a second hood may be best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom