Builds FJ 45 Extended Cab Custom Vehicle Build Finally Begins (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yo Dan,

Here is what I did on my 60. I'm not sure what your factory intake system looks like, or how to tap into it, but there are some good ideas in this thread I had in the 60 section awhile ago. Pictures at the top have broken links, but the final picture is at the end.

Project is looking great man!

Dylan

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/128004-snorkel-install-2f-fj60.html

OK you got me, been watching this build for a long time really like how you are building this thing. Thanks for the compliment. I do like the notch idea (like in below photo), would probably be most similar to what I got, since you don't have the side aprons. You might need to weld some support into the hood if you notch it. You would probably be able to tell if you need to once you cut it up.

Mine was built by a local exhaust shop taking a mandrel bent 3in SS exhaust and cutting it up, rewelding and grinding the welds.

Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Deny
Picture%20026.jpg

Deny,
I still say one of the coolest pictures I hae seen in a while was the one of your rig on the cover of Trails.

Think you could take some close-up pictures of the the snorkle?

Slickrock

Hey Slickrock,
Don't really want to hijack Dans build with pics of my snorkle, just tried giving him some ideas, so check out my build thread in my sig, and if you don't see the picture you need, let me know and I can take some new ones.
Cheers,
Deny

Dan I would seriously look at the triangular piece mounted to the back side of the fender. I am assuming your fender follows the original angeled line up the front of the cowl. Looking at my rig I followed the line the stock fender and it makes me think that you should have enough area for at least a 3.5" if not a 4" hole in that area. You may have to trim the cowl a hair but I think 4" could be squeezed in, 3.5" should be a piece of cake. I'll post some picks if you are not fully clear on what I mean.

Option 2 would be to cut an oval hole and squeeze a piece of tubing to fit, rubber tubing on the inside to conform to the oval tubing...

Last edited:
Hey Slickrock,
Don't really want to hijack Dans build with pics of my snorkle, just tried giving him some ideas, so check out my build thread in my sig, and if you don't see the picture you need, let me know and I can take some new ones.
Cheers,
Deny

Deny, Gotcha. I thought more pictures would help Dan figure out how to do it and since many of us will see his rig during our club wrenching weekends, or helping him wrench, it might give us some ideas to toss around for his snorkle.

Ok, here is the other picture that might explain things going through. The hole through the apron is larger since there is a tab that bolts to the fender, but that could be avoided if there is a mount that would strap the snorkle with an exhaust clamp or something, the hole could then be almost exactly as big as the snorkle tube. The other mount is to a bolt on the lower part of the windshield hinge, so that I could drop the windshield, but I have never had the top off, so don't know how that would go. make sure you beef up the mounts, had to fix mine, cause the little tabs they had snapped off, maybe even mount to a couple bolts on the hinge.
Anyway, hope this all helps.
Cheers,
Deny
Picture 054.jpg

I have custom FC187 tube fenders. The fender bib is almost non-existent. The shock hoops are part of the system as well.

Dan I would seriously look at the triangular piece mounted to the back side of the fender. I am assuming your fender follows the original angeled line up the front of the cowl. ...

I will post up some pics.

Last edited:
Dan,

Are you looking to make the snorkel a permanent feature of the truck, or just looking for something functional for now and then? If you're not looking to go permanent, would you be able to route your air intake through one of the headlight openings, and anchor a vertical stack off your bumper? Would save cutting any sheet metal, might miss the headlight for nighttime on the trail though.

WhadUp Rockdoc?

Were you wearing mittens when you posted? LOL!

I never though about the headlight.

The forum was bogging down and kept telling me I was violating the 30 sec between posts clause. I kept trying, and eventually all the attempts went through at once. :rolleyes:

I ran a piece of exhaust fan hose through my headlight housing once, just to see if it would work in an pinch. ;) Now I'm thinking I'll work some kind of a cold air intake into my top end work-over, and design it so that it can be expanded into a snorkel.

Finally a true FJ45 Part on this "Johnny Cash Special". Other than the 63" Chevy Spring, it is still Toyota or Built for a Toyota such as the Kaymar Bumper and 4x4 Labs High Steer Arms. :D

Just for reference.....what parts on this mongrel actually came from an FJ45:lol::lol::lol:

It still looks more like a shrunk FJ40 to me. I know........fawking purists.......

Bet you thought you would never see the day, huh?

worthless without pictures :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom