Fitting a turbo to a non turbo diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can an 80 series non turbo diesel engines bottom end be beefed up so a turbo can be retrofitted , so it is reliable and doesnt blow up?

I think they make them strong enough to just add on the turbo and start having fun.

The bottom end will be fine - you're more likely to have problems with pistons/ring lands and so-on before you break anything down the bottom.

If you are looking for your 1HZ to make decent reliable power, get a Gturbo Grunter Extreme kit from @gbentink GTurbo™ - Engineered Diesel Performance - Don't be scared of the sort of boost they run, the tune makes or breaks a diesel.

If I may ask, what are your goals/reasons for turbocharging? If you're looking for a bit more power day to day, go for it, but the Indirect-injection design of the 1HZ seems to lead to difficulties keeping it cool if you plan to work it hard towing or something like that.

The bottom end will be fine - you're more likely to have problems with pistons/ring lands and so-on before you break anything down the bottom.

If you are looking for your 1HZ to make decent reliable power, get a Gturbo Grunter Extreme kit from @gbentink GTurbo™ - Engineered Diesel Performance - Don't be scared of the sort of boost they run, the tune makes or breaks a diesel.

If I may ask, what are your goals/reasons for turbocharging? If you're looking for a bit more power day to day, go for it, but the Indirect-injection design of the 1HZ seems to lead to difficulties keeping it cool if you plan to work it hard towing or something like that.
Gday Mate, thanks for that info. What you have told me make's sense. The bottom ends would surely be the same between turbo and non turbo variants? Maybe turbo charging wont be such a good idea beacause i have a 2 tonne boat that i want to tow. Maybe i should stick with extractors and straight through exhaust. Cheers Mate

Gday Mate, thanks for that info. What you have told me make's sense. The bottom ends would surely be the same between turbo and non turbo variants? Maybe turbo charging wont be such a good idea beacause i have a 2 tonne boat that i want to tow. Maybe i should stick with extractors and straight through exhaust. Cheers Mate
The block and cranks are the same between 1HZ and 1HD-T , I think conrods are different, pistons are different, head is different, different pump and injectors. Not sure on other diffences.

Not trying to scare you away from turboing, GTurbo has done some HZs that make good power reliably, Toyota did a factory 1HZ turbo for coaster buses in Europe, so it can be done. I'd recommend a full set of gauges if you went ahead, Boost, Pre turbo Pyro, Water temp a maybe oil pressure so you can keep an eye on things.

Your biggest killer on a 1hz is EGTs, do some research in the diesel section and you will find out all about it. As mentioned monitor the engine with gauges and drive according to your EGTs and the engine will be fine. In fact you would probably see higher temps towing without a turbo than with one depending on your fuel pump settings.

I can move this over to the diesel section if you wish, there are more guys in there who also have a lot of 1hz experience.

As to the install process I started a bit of a write up on how to bolt up a turbo removed from a 1hd-t.
How to: 1HZ CT26 turbo install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom