First time FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys

Im looking to replace my current car (with something a bit better off-road).

I went to check out and test drive my first Fj today :) (it was actually a HJ) all i can say is WOW what a great truck. I dont have much experience with anything mechanical so figured i should get a second opinion on this truck.

I notice a few things though.
- There seemed to be a bit of a leak from the engine
- The gear box made a squeak at above 60k/h.
- had no hand brake, no locks, drum brakes and blows white smoke on start up

so here are some photos, figured you guys might be abel to give me some advice if its any good. the bloke is asking for $7500

the first few are from 1977 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER HJ45 Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au

11437162.jpg

11437173.jpg

11437175.jpg

11437182.jpg

these are mine

DSC_0020.jpg

its upside down ;p
DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Not shore if you guys spot any major problems?

Thanks (sorry about my bad spelling)

I'm very jealous of you guys from down under. If it was me it would be a no brainer. I'd be driving it home.

Looks pretty clean. I'm sure some more experience Cruiser heads will chime in but I cam tell you a 45 in that condition is rare in the US. Engine related issues are easy to fix. Body problems such as rust are a little harder.

Let me be the first to say buy it and flip the bezel.

is it just me but thats not a 1977

twist door handles
wipers up top
quick release windscreen
non boosted brakes

also the engine wil only be a "h" rather than the more common 2h parts are rare and very expensive

mate had one we ended up swpping in a 2f after killing 2 heads

Thanks for the quick reply guys

its a 67 body, the hole truck seemed to be a mix of 77 parts and an earlier version

Im still a student for the next 12months so my budget is $10 000, and need to have it road worthy. After that im off to the mine so should have a bit more to spent :)

extra diesel tank below ? aluminum cargo box? snorkel, bull bar, look that they take care of the truck, not familiar but if i see that in puerto rico i just buy it and learn to work on it, mixing parts now days dont care too much unless you plan to do a true restro-Purist LC...but for the rest just hit the road

Thanks for the quick reply guys

its a 67 body, the hole truck seemed to be a mix of 77 parts and an earlier version

Im still a student for the next 12months so my budget is $10 000, and need to have it road worthy. After that im off to the mine so should have a bit more to spent :)

Unless you are a die hard purist who care whether it is a mixture of years as long as you are happy and it does not look thrown together. My rig has a 78 frame, 79 2f engine, 74 tub, 75 doors, 81 hardtop haa haa! I call Heinz 57 lol! Nice truck btw!:cheers:

Hi mate,
The early H series motors were notorious for cracking heads.
I also had a fella call me up the other week looking for the alloy housing below the thermostat as his was shot and he can't find a good 2nd hand one and new are no longer available. The air cleaner isn't right for the vehicle (see pic for reference on a my 77) This can result in throwing away a motor for no other reason.
They can breath heavy out of the breather tube located on the passenger (au) side of the motor (see 1" tube behind the exhaust manifold in the pic)if they are worn also dropping oil here.

Also check for cracks in the chassis from behind the cab to the rear of the truck.
45 series ground up rebuild 011.jpg

thanks guys

what tourboy said about cracking heads and finding parts sounds like something that would be a hell of a job to fix for someone who doesn't really know much about mechanics.

ill see if i can find a mechanic to go over it tomorrow.

thanks again for the reply guys much appreciated :)

If you're not mechanical, I would not buy a 30-40 year old FJ of any type unless you have a large checkbook and a mechanic.

Don't buy it

G'day RCWilliam,

Do not buy this vehicle. If you have $7500, you should be able to buy a good reliable early '80's model Landcruiser. That thing will sap your will to live and drain your bank accounts.

Cheers,

Ben

Just an opinion; but that Heinz 57 metomorphisis is a $6500 rig that will cost you 20 big ones in 5 years and you will still have a Heinz 57.........

thanks guys

what tourboy said about cracking heads and finding parts sounds like something that would be a **** of a job to fix for someone who doesn't really know much about mechanics.

ill see if i can find a mechanic to go over it tomorrow.

thanks again for the reply guys much appreciated :)

Most of the time you can't tell the head is RS until u point it at a long hill and up it in 3rd gear. You'll soon see water jetting out of the overflow and into oncomming traffic.
Personally I wouldn't pay more than $2k for it.

Keep the enthusiasm, lose the vehicle. There are better choices for almost $8k.

thanks guys probably better to keep my head out of the clouds till i can afford it :)

thanks for the help guys

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom