Intro and first-time buyer questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you mind tossing out your opinion of what you’d be a buyer at?

Personally it's not my style build. If I was gonna go that far from stock I would want a modern day V8.
I am well versed in Land Cruisers as I have bought, sold, restored many in the last 15 years.
If this one is what it is and does not have questionable items, it could sell for maybe $25 to $30k....

You've already received plenty of sound advice, but just to add my $0.02, I would be weary of something like that without detailed records - especially at that price. If your budget is up there, you can find a great truck at a better price and have it built to your liking.

Please don't, Its lost its soul.
There is definitely something to be said for originality, holding value if nothing else.

Have some patience, most of the time the right truck will find you.

The Landcruiser platform is very reliable once sorted (think old tractor that loves gas but you can't kill it).

Enjoy your journey, you are in the right place to ask all the questions you need to!

@Wadesters may have something for sale, he's a straight shooter.
Website for more info

Last edited:
I’ll pile on, lot of things on the CL 40 that would make me nervous and that look isn’t for me. You can cover up a lot of sins with shiny paints and parts, and it gives off a super central/South America energy to me.

As many others have said, that is ball park around your budget then you can get into something more original and a heck of a lot cooler for less, good stuff pops up a lot… and you are on the right track looking for 40s!

I live in Arizona and am not familiar with this company... I might see if I can drive by to "see" this thing. What is interesting to me are the things others have already pointed out... Like the 1975 Vehicle year claim, and Blue paint in particular which CLEARLY isn't Blue, AND, the cruiser body is most definitely an 80 (+) model and not a 1975. I am not as knowledgeable as most here, but my spidey senses and 35-plus years in LE tell me something is amiss here...??

More than likely the frame is a 1975 Frame and the body was clearly pieced together into what you see here... Who is the builder...? What is their experience and reputation with these types of vehicles? Fresh paint and bling and people forget what they clearly should see and question... Or, maybe an unfortunate unsuspecting buyer won't see and fall prey!!

Personal opinion, RUN, don't walk away from this one... I bought my 40, years ago from a MUD member and would, like others have said, look here and be patient, you will find the right one! Not to mention, it will be fairly priced and you won't get gouged...

Good luck!!

One of the best points in this entire thread is the fact that buying from a mud member on this forum is one of the best ways to buy a Landcruiser and get your moneys worth.

My .02. On modified rigs, there is no real gauge or scale to value them by. Yes, things like cost and type of mods, workmanship will play a part. But, the market is fickle on them. It all depends on the right timing. One month that could easily go for $65K because it was exactly what that person wanted and was willing to pay. Partially modified are the worst. They have lost their collector value and don't have enough mods to be worth a big price. This one is that category. The flip side is, if that one was properly disassembled, repaired, and refinished top and bottom, it would cost you at least that to pay a shop to do it, if you're very lucky. That one clearly had the wrong write up in the ad, which also really said nothing about the rig.

Now, about OEM, that is usually down to condition, so easier to scale a value and also, you know what is in it.

That shop should list their 40 on BaT. Most weeks, those folks will buy anything. But, it's all about timing. List it at the right time and there will be a buyer all over that for that price. List at the wrong time and the bid will stall at $25k and won't meet reserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom