Intro and first-time buyer questions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The add says “shiny deep blue paint”
So it could be the wrong add for the pictured truck. If the truck is done as well as it looks like it is you would have a tough time building it for 50 grand unless you did much of it yourself so unless you have those skills it may not be a bad deal.

Last edited:
The add says “shiny deep blue paint”
So it could be the wrong add for the pictured truck. If the truck is done as well as it looks like it is you would have a tough time building it for 50 grand unless you did much of it yourself so unless you have those skills it may not be a bad deal.
Build cost is really the number I was after. Thanks for the insight. I don’t have the space or tools to do it THAT well. And I’ve seen too many project cars that never get finished. Looking to buy something ready to go or at least 90%. It wouldn’t cost me much to go check it out. Hopefully I get a few more opinions and I’ll decide about going to have a look.

I would definitely take someone who knows cruisers to look and not trust the sellers statements or opinion. It’s at a dealer so there’s automatically a $20k mark up (in general, maybe different if consignment). It says it’s a restoration, it’s not. It’s not a 75, but maybe the vin probably is. It looks nice but there’s a lot going on with it that needs to be checked very carefully. Lots of fluff and not a lot of info in that ad which, to me, is indicative of a dealer selling something they know little to nothing about.
I’m not saying it’s a bad one, I’m saying go in eyes WIDE open, with someone knowledgeable helping open them.

Also, intended use would help. If your end goal is just a good driver vs an original restored version vs a trail pounder matters.

Wow! Johnny Cash's song about one piece at time comes to mind. Yea my 72FJ40 has a 76 hardtop (nice doors) and IIRC a 2 F engine from a 77 or so (I should look it up). I'm like the 6th owner and #5 was like my second dad. He is the one that did the Rochester carb and Delco distributor and installed the Warn hubs. I added the header when the cast iron manifold cracked in half about year 2 of my ownership 1984. I can easily get 25 mpg as long as I don't go more than 55mph on the freeway and do the other half of the trip like idling in 2nd road hunting in the desert, 200 miles 8 gallons of gas filled at exactly the same flying j pump - have checked it like 50 different times.

I can pull my motor/tranny/transfer in about 3 hours by myself. Have done it 3 times so far. I have learned not to drive my LC like a Ferrari.

65K is more than I can pay. I know a retired dentist that has a place in Az up by Happy Jack. He has done like 5 FJ40's as a hobby but he sticks to mostly original spec's. I think he said its like 40K in parts and machine shop work, he paints and does the welding/body work and assembly.

Its only money; buy what you want because you can't take it with you when you go. I hate automatic tranny's and computer controlled cars - they are all nice when they work but they are very hard to work on when they break - trust me everything breaks at some point.

I would definitely take someone who knows cruisers to look and not trust the sellers statements or opinion. It’s at a dealer so there’s automatically a $20k mark up (in general, maybe different if consignment). It says it’s a restoration, it’s not. It’s not a 75, but maybe the vin probably is. It looks nice but there’s a lot going on with it that needs to be checked very carefully. Lots of fluff and not a lot of info in that ad which, to me, is indicative of a dealer selling something they know little to nothing about.
I’m not saying it’s a bad one, I’m saying go in eyes WIDE open, with someone knowledgeable helping open them.

Also, intended use would help. If your end goal is just a good driver vs an original restored version vs a trail pounder matters.
From what I understand it is a consignment. And I know better than to trust any seller at face value so I’ll definitely be doing the necessary homework. Mostly I’m looking for a good driver that can do a little off road. If I were really going to pound the trails, I wouldn’t be looking at anything as cosmetically nice. I’ll need the 4x4 for all the snow we get here in northern Utah. Relatively good store of value would also be nice and I’d be willing to pay more to get it. That said, if anyone has any other leads I’m in the market.

I couldn’t offer even a guess but to say that price is high even if it were a meticulously restored 1975, completely factory original with 19000 miles. Not to sound harsh but there aren’t nearly enough detail photos to determine the actual condition, much less authenticity. My initial impression it’s a South American import that’s had some money spent on it. I would say $25,000 and if the paint is covering patchwork and rust, the offer would be far less than that.

The serial number (VIN) and production month/year will be on a little silver plate, riveted to the driver side door frame. Those can be reproduced. It should match the number stamped into the frame rail at the front, passenger side, right behind the bumper. This forum has a link for a database to connect that number to its production date. If he’s misrepresenting selling it as a 1975, and it’s not, be careful. I’m no expert but there could be problems at the DMV.

That's an easy color to find in a parking lot !

Last edited:
I would want detailed documentation on the components used in the build so that when things break you have some idea what you are chasing parts for, establishing some relationship and continuity with the Hot Rod shop that built it would be ideal.

There are alot of aftermarket non Toyota parts on this truck and what is Toyota, is from possibly and even likely multiple model years and countries of origin.

Not my style, but it will be a big hit at Cars and Coffee and most other places you drive it, good luck!

If I had anywhere near that amount of money to spend on a different FJ40, I would be looking at something like one of these or just watch classified ads on mud. Make sure Vintage Cruisers in AZ did not do the work on the one you are looking at.

If I had anywhere near that amount of money to spend on a different FJ40, I would be looking at something like one of these or just watch classified ads on mud. Make sure Vintage Cruisers in AZ did not do the work on the one you are looking at.

Good recommendations!!!

You might dig deeper and take a look around the web if you can’t get much background from the seller.

I get a strong Mecum, Barrett Jackson, Toyoda Restauraciones (they use alot of black hinges etc.) vibe from this truck.

As others have said, this truck has been heavily modified and is not close to stock. If the mods have been done well, then OK, but I would sure want to know who did them and what they started with. If the title says 1975, I would be worried, since everything you can see in the photos says '79 or later. Take someone with you to look at it who really knows 40's.

Thanks for this! Exactly what I’m looking for. The one I posted does appear to be somewhat cobbled together. Even if it costs more, I’d rather buy a more original, less flashy one that might hold its value better. I’ll get more info but I’m leaning towards the route you suggested. So glad I came to this forum.

Cosmetics on an actual working off road 4 WD is a waste of money. You want more HP, big tires, super low gears for rock crawling, winches, lockers, rear steer - then you will be spending money to get stuff that actually matters - slick paint, chrome trim, digital dash isn't going to keep you out of the ditch or get you to a downed elk and more importantly back home.

That was the beauty in the LC - they didn't need much work and you could do it yourself.

Thanks again for all the responses guys. I’ve learned a ton already. Now I’m very strongly leaning towards a more original option. The seller seems a little too motivated to sell it. I think it’s time to keep looking. Will do what @phishtaco suggested and monitor the classifieds here and other more reputable LC sellers. In the meantime, if anyone has a lead on something cool/similar please LMK. Hopefully I can help others out one day as much as y’all have for me.

Thanks again for all the responses guys. I’ve learned a ton already. Now I’m very strongly leaning towards a more original option. The seller seems a little too motivated to sell it. I think it’s time to keep looking. Will do what @phishtaco suggested and monitor the classifieds here and other more reputable LC sellers. In the meantime, if anyone has a lead on something cool/similar please LMK. Hopefully I can help others out one day as much as y’all have for me.
You are on the right track now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom